Mac Or Pc Laptop?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by SLTE • Sep 5, 2015.

1. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Other threads have focused on this debate in general, so let's narrow it a bit. Do you prefer a Windows PC or a Mac when it comes to a laptop?

Though I prefer the price point of Windows, as well as the flexibility offered by Windows (previous versions, anyway - it's getting harder and harder to muck about with the system with each new OS), I've bought Macbooks exclusively since getting out of college, and I doubt that'll change. They work really well for my business, tend to have fewer problems than Windows machines, and offer a nice, streamlined experience that's easy to understand. I'm no noob to computers, so I don't need a streamlined experience, but I would recommend a Mac to my parents in a heartbeat.

Still... dat price point...

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mac's are good computers but the trouble is they are more costly than window's based computers. I also have been using windows for so long...it would take me a while to get used to a mac. I have used them when I was working for the school system though and my former mother in law had one I used to use when I was at her house.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, we've definitely covered the narrow debates between Macbooks and Windows laptops, too. Macs are more expensive, but they tend to have a better track record for long-term reliability. Windows laptops are cheaper, and they're designed for the masses, especially at the budget price point. Only now are ultrabooks and other laptops running Windows starting to catch up with Macbook Airs and Pros, although Macbooks have ALWAYS been a niche product compared to Windows laptops. Always.

If you want to save money upfront, then Windows laptops are always the best option. Long-term, that's not always the case, especially for budget devices.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It also depends what you will be using your laptop for, but generally Macs are my preferred option and it's worth it if you use it every day. For some one that uses it just for the internet or to store photos, then a Windows is fine as I know some people that don't use it for much else.

For documents I prefer Mac to Windows and I have used both. The price of Macs is always stable, but I see it as an investment and also less stressful with Window issues.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My answer to this question is Mac over PC laptops. I have used both and hands down prefer Mac. I find Macs smoother, easier, faster and overall a lot more reliable. Once I started using Mac a few years ago, I never wanted to go back. I still use PC at work, and really feel the difference! I like the fact that Macs also don't tend to get pop ups and viruses. I'll have to make sure I have money waiting to buy another one when my current one packs up, which I hope is nowhere near soon....touch wood.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think if you can afford it then the value you get for Mac laptops really isn't all that expensive in the long run, considering that Windows laptops usually break very easily and there are tons of issues you'd have to deal with, so in the end I think you'll be getting roughly the same thing in the end with either choice. It's just that you'll be paying more upfront with a Mac laptop instead of spacing it out buying multiple Windows ones which will inevitably need replacing every few years.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish for a Mac Air but it is very expensive and I don't see it as practical so I'd say it is laptop for me. At least a laptop is somewhat universal and very similar to the desktop that I am using. The software that I have in my desktop can also be installed in the laptop. That's the practicality I am saying. And the cost of a laptop is not much, I can have about 3 laptops with the cost of 1 Mac notebook.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will always be on the Windows PC Laptop team over Mac. But then I suppose that I am sort of biased at this point since I have been using it for over ten years, and have only really at down to use a Mac computer one time. It was very confusing. But I do hear that the Mac has a lot of pros over Windows PC. I did hear that it is very hard to get infected with any viruses with a Mac.

9. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    The reason I prefer the windows PC, is because it seems more universal, like when I am doing jobs or using softwares, it seems more are compatible with Windows. I do not like being limited, so I stick with Windows.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always found the Mac too expensive, so because of the price alone, then I would rather just have a PC. I have heard that Macs are safer to use, but no thanks, I would rather be economical than extravagant when it comes to PC's.

11. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The thing with me is I can see the benefit in Macs. They can be considerably faster and of ease to use. The problem is the big price and the low specs that come with it. You can literally get a better custom built PC at the price of a Mac. I don't see the point on spending hundreds on a item that haves lower specs.

12. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't used my Mac much to be honest (I feel so ashamed spending all that money for it to just sit there heh). Just haven't had a use for a laptop lately but they are expensive for a reason. It is not the computer for novices so it requires a significant amount of research to figure out how to navigate everything. Also if you're going to get one you better make sure you get an external mouse because the touch pad is so annoying. One final note is do be careful with your chargers because if it rips it would be costly to get a new one. The advantage to a Mac though is they are built with quality in mind. I haven't had mine long but I can tell it's a quality device. The picture is so clear I can't even believe it. It's almost like having bad eyesight and putting on glasses for the first time. I feel like the boot time is pretty good too. If you think you're going to be designing graphics or creating music, then go for a Mac because they are supposed to be good for that. I see musicians using Macs all the time. Also you can use Windows on a Mac. As far as I know you can't do the reverse.

13. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    If you're ready to thrown down the money, Apple all the way. They have their flaws, one of the main ones being their price point, but what you get is hard to beat. I personally do not own any Macs, but I respect them! If you do settle with a PC, you'll be saving yourself probably around a grand, so it can be worth it.

14. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I used to love Macs but now they're fairly under powered compared to it's PC counterparts and for half the price. That's not to say Macs are bad, they're pretty good for what it is but the price and the performance isn't going to cut it, not unless you're more in it for the logo and brand rather than actual use.

15. Harlek

HarlekMember

Threads:
    Macs are very expensive for what they're offering. Yes it's high quality and it's not bad at all but the problem is, are you really going to spend $1000 for a mid to entry level laptop? With that amount of money you can pretty much a new a suped up laptop or desktop PC and it's 3 times as powerful.

Also you have to consider the lack of upgrade options. You can't just unscrew a Mac's underside and just replace the RAM, CPU or hard drive, you have to take it to an Apple Store and pay more money.

16. thegeek

thegeekNew Member

Threads:
    I work in Photography so when it comes to quality I'd rather use Mac, I'm actually saving money to get my own. Plus I'm also traveling so I do need a long battery life as well. It's not easy to use at first but it's worth the time.
    Anyway right now I'm using acer and asus and work perfectly fine running windows.

17. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I always buy PCs, but that's more because I'm used to it rather than an informed purchase. I've been using Windows since I was a kid, it's familiar and I know how to use it. Windows is also a lot less annoying about installing programs in general.

18. Joeka24

Joeka24New Member

Threads:
    Growing up as a child I was always around PCs and so that's what I learned how to use. But once it was time for tertiary education and I needed to get a laptop for my own I went to Mac for two reasons:

1. I wanted a change in OS. I was getting tired of using the same interface all the time and I really just wanted to try something new.
    2. I was going into graphics and editing work so I needed a computer that could run professional programs and would display colors vividly and produce nice sharp pictures.

I don't miss PCs to be honest, the only problems I have now is that I'm getting so used to the Mac that when I need to use a Windows computer, I'm like Uh, how do you do this again? Ha! But it's all good, readapting works out the brain.

19. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    When I first used a Mac Laptop, I got super confused and felt like I wasted my money. For one, the controls are different and the settings are also different. Then, the applications are also different. So there is no MS Office and Notepad. I was really frustrated at first because most jobs require MS Office for their job requirement projects. However, I discovered that Keynote can be saved as .doc or .docx document, so I was extremely happy lol.

Anyway, at first you might get frustrated with Mac. But when you get used to it and past the differences, you will realise that it is a really quality laptop. The battery works great and lasts for hours. The interface is really organised and professional. So yes, loving this Mac laptop.

20. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:
    I've always been a Microsoft/Windows fan since time immemorial. But when I started working for a certain company, they gave us Macbook Airs to work with. I then fell in love with Mac due to it's simplistic approach in doing tasks as compared with Windows. Right now, I'm actually contemplating on whether to ditch my personal laptop (which is a Sony Vaio that runs on Windows) for a Macbook pro since I'm planning to do lots of video editing soon.

But then the first Microsoft laptop came out, the Surface Book, which looks really promising with its quirky and yet genius design. Not to mention the processing power that is at par with that of a typical high-end laptop. So now, the dilemma; Mac or Microsoft?

But I must say, I'm leaning more towards Microsoft's Surface Book since Windows is what I'm really used to and yeah, easier to fiddle with (customization and etc., you know what I'm talking about).