Mac or Windows

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by difrancprod • Mar 30, 2012.

1. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    Which one do you use? Mac or Windows? Why do you prefer using it?

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    As of right now we are using Windows. I've never had a Mac but would love to get one someday because they are better when it comes to virus protection. Windows came preloaded on the machine we bought and at the time, it was more affordable than getting a Mac. I have had viruses in the past on a different Windows machine. It was the ones my kids were using and it is just so frustrating to get one. The next machine I buy will be a Mac if I can afford it.

3. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Same as above, always used Windows, never even tried out a Mac. They're way too expensive here, definitely not as affordable as they may be in the US. Besides, Windows has always been everyone's choice here, and due to file compatibility (and torrents too!) I think I'll stick to it forever.

4. Lieutenant

LieutenantMember

Threads:
    I use a Windows 7 computer. I thought about getting a Mac but your paying a lot of additional money for the Apple brand. Plus I use Windows at work and it is easier to stay on the same platform. I also like the product availability for Windows and of course some things are still not available on Mac. With the new Windows 8 coming out in the near future it will push me even further towards the Windows side.

5. Randomhero

RandomheroMember

Threads:
    I have a Windows computer myself. I never got into macs, a lot of the programs I use are only made for windows too. Your better of having a windows computer for your main computer and then a mac for secondary. Still most programs are windows only.

6. Dude

DudeMember

Threads:
    I have both, a Mac laptop, and a Windows desktop. I really prefer working on the Mac, but I have the PC because of how much more stuff is available for it. It'll be great once Macs have tons of games and software is made for them, but PCs are still dominating.

To Windows' credit, lots of computers that run it are fairly inexpensive.

7. Germs

GermsMember

Threads:
    Windows for me, my computer is mainly used for gaming and as it stands, windows is by far the best platform for gaming.

8. Pandorical

PandoricalActive Member

Threads:
    I've had both a Mac and a computer with Windows on. I prefer Windows by far because I've found more programs are compatible with it. Also, I find it a lot easier to use, Macs seem to be too restricted.

9. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    Linux for every day use. Windows for work use. Thats what I am doing right now. Mac is basically a shiny, expensive version of linux. Linux is free, and it is improving, it is still very techy / nerdy, but it is making some moves to being much more user friendly and accessible.

10. James Dean

James DeanNew Member

Threads:
    I don't use a Mac either, but they say it is good and fast. I tried using it from my friends, and it is stable on applications and software but not that fast. You can upgrade your PC even faster than the Mac. It also doesn't have good games too. Just the same games you see in your iPhone. I find it boring sometimes. Mac is mainly used for editing. That would be the use of it but seeing the price make you want to buy a PC instead.

11. R. Paradon

R. ParadonNew Member

Threads:
    I am old school in my thinking and so I have been using windows since they came out. In fact I did not like windows at first as i was used to dos :rolleyes:

As I mentioned in a different post I am soon going to buy a new pc and will once again go with windows. For some other items such as music applications I am thinking of some other Apple items.

12. imda1234

imda1234New Member

Threads:
    Windows definitely , I was always a fan of windows and will continue to be.Windows is much better in my opinion,and I'm addicted to it.Mac is basically a shiny, expensive version of linux.And yeah as someone said, there are a lot of programs that are compatible with windows.

13. Popatar

PopatarMember

Threads:
    The answer to this question changes from time to time.

A few years ago the Mac had the advantage in that it viruses were rare to come by. This is because the user base for their systems were small compared to Windows. Now that their user based has exponentially expanded more and more viruses are popping up.

The actual operating system and its functions are debatable and depends on the individuals preference. I find myself very satisfied with Windows 7. And windows 8 is supposed to be even better.

In a few years I think Windows will be way ahead of the Mac. Apple has an uphill battle with Microsoft unless it introduces something revolutionary (which is not likely since Steve Jobs's death).

14. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I like Macs better because they are more secure and less likely to get viruses. You can do anything on a Mac - graphics, animation, Photoshop, etc. without the worry of it getting slower. Macs are better quality and they last longer. I currently have a PC and it just doesn't measure up to my old Mac.

15. Jozhua130

Jozhua130New Member

Threads:
    Windows, I have never tried a Mac so I'll stay put with Windows. I guess its a matter of me having experience with windows and not with Macs that made me choose windows. I know that Macs have their pluses and minuses and so thus Windows but windows is what I know and how to use. Lol. I do hate the fact that windows sucks when it comes to security. I mean the plethora of viruses and spyware, malware are mostly breeding on the windows side, right? unless I'm wrong or my info is outdated.

16. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I'd disagree with that. I've had a Dell for almost 5 years now, and during the three year remote warranty period, I received excellent service. I know others who have also bought Dell computers and had no issues. I'd buy Dell again. I only had to use technical support 2 or 3 times during the warranty period, and all it cost me was the price of a local phone call. Yes it was an Indian technician, but he knew his stuff and sorted my problems remotely.

My friend had a serious problem with his laptop which took several hours to fix, but the technician stayed with it until the laptop was running properly again. I think Dell are excellent for customer service.

In answer to the original question, I've always used Windows. It was recommended to me when I bought my first computer, and it's such a versatile operating system, I can't see any reason to change. As others have said, computers running Mac are more expensive as well.

17. mbc221

mbc221New Member

Threads:
    I've had terrible customer service with Dell, multiple times. I no longer use them, and instead it's Acer for me. They're customer service is great, and they will sometimes honor an expired warranty, and even give you a new one. The first laptop I had from them, one of my friends accidentally dropped it while we were in a parking lot. The screen started getting vertical green and pink lines. I took it to the store I brought it from, and they sent it back to Acer. Got it back in two days, no charge at all for the screen they replaced, and a new warranty was issued. I didn't pay a cent for this, which is awesome. And their support for software issues is great as well. Their representatives are kind, and they listen. Never had that with Dell. Dell made me feel like an idiot, and sometimes they didn't understand the problem themselves, and would tell us to just get a new comp (one time this happened, I managed to fix it myself).

Back to topic: Windows all the way!!! As I said above, I only use Acer computers, which are Windows or Linux based. I loved XP, now I'm addicted to Win7. I also use Ubuntu 11.04 on one of my netbooks. (I have 1 desktop and 1 laptop for Win7, and a netbook for XP/Ubuntu). I use a lot of programs that will only run on Windows, and don't have good alternatives for Mac. I've used Mac before, but I do a lot of different things on computers, and a Mac can't really keep up with me.

MBC

18. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have Windows. I now have a Mac and will never go back. My biggest thing has been with viruses/spam/spyware etc. I always seemed to be dealing with something on my PC, even with proper anti software installed. I have had my mac for over 2 years and have not had 1 single issue. That right there has saved me so much headache and trouble!

19. psufootball

psufootballMember

Threads:
    I've got nothing against Mac, but I wouldn't want it as my primary computer, that's Windows all the way. I also have a laptop with Linux Ubuntu on it.

20. renmew

renmewMember

Threads:
    My parents were systems analysts, so I was exposed to computers from an early age. I learned to program on a pc. But, once I touched a Mac I loved it even more. For most people, we're not trying to program the computer, just use it as a tool, and I think a Mac is easiest there. Plus, I believe Macs have fewer problems with viruses and such.