MacDonalds toys

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Peninha • Oct 8, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My kids love McDonalds mostly because of the toys I think, but recently I think that the quality of the toys have decreased and I end up frustrated leaving the store with huge plastic chunks instead of toys. Do you agree with this?

2. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I think the quality of the toys has downgraded quite a bit but then again, so have a lot of other toys in general. I remember getting a scratch and sniff rugrats watch before as a toy, and I still have it, and if you scratch it, it still smells like bananas, just like when I got it, and it's held up pretty well in general. I just thought it would be an interesting thing to keep, and that's the only reason I even have it. I don't think they're really going to get any better in quality though, it doesn't even seem worth it.. I wish they would put a little more effort into how their toys hold up.

3. MomFirst

MomFirstNew Member

Threads:
    My son is beginning to be a sucker for those french fries from McDonald's. He is not at the age though where he can eat much more than a small fry. Be that as it may, I was thinking eventually he would see the commercials and want to get a happy meal from McDonald's. I did not know (because this is my first child and my siblings are finishing college, so it's been a good fifteen years since the "happy meal days") that the quality of the toys were changing. Being realistic they were never top notch but it was something for them to play with and even try to keep up with to have a full collection. I can only imagine your frustration! I am quite sure the prices of happy meals have went up significantly since the beginning of the millennium, which you would think would insinuate better quality or more food but you get do not get either. I bet the price of that plastic chunk (or even the toys) is included within the price of your meal as well. It's sad for a national chain to have "slip ups" like that.

4. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I do not like that there is a boys toy and a girl toy. It might be ok if there were toys of to separate things, but I have seen it where it was the same exact thing and the only difference was the color. There was regular spidermens and pink spider men. I dont see why there has to be a separation. I also do not like it when they have sketchers toys what kid wants to go to get a shoe toy. I think the quality is about the same though. I kind of miss hamburgla, grimace, frykids and all of thoes characters. I guess they phased them out. All that is left is Ronald Mcdonald and hes not even around that much. The quality of the toys seems around the same to me.

5. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I would agree that they do seem to be not half as good as when I was a child. Or is this just because as a child everything looked better because you were just happy to be getting a toy at all. To be honest for less than £3, a meal and a toy, whether the toy is rubbish or not is still quite a good deal if they weren't serving processed rubbish. My child rarely eats McDonalds and I cant stand it myself.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sure, I am not saying it's not great to have something for that price, but it has happened to me a few times that I want to leave those plastic chunks in the store, but the kids won't allow me haha, so I have to carry them home.

7. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I agree! When I was a kid, I collected Happy Meal toys because they were really good. They were like collector's items. Sadly, nowadays, the toys are so bad. It's as if the creative team of McDonald's can no longer think of anything good to make for children.

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a few McDonald toys that are pretty cool, some play music, some make lights and sounds and the batteries seem to last forever, but in this last year or two years it has been downhill, I feel that they really need to get back on track or no one will keep buying those menus.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was younger I think that the McDonald's toys were SO much better quality than they are today. But I am not entirely sure whether or not I think that because I was a child back then and was excited by those toys, and I am an adult now and see toys as boring. But they sure as hell do seem a lot more cheap and simple than they were back in the day. Sometimes they are just cardboard masks that you have to cut out, just like with cereal boxes. Hardly a toy.

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, so what will most likely happen is that they will lose that "Happy Meal" situation that they have now, actually my kids ask me less and less to go to McDonalds, most likely because the toys are worse and worse, their loss I say.

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My cousin didn't get many toys when he was younger. His mother never had much money. I distinctly remember the only toys that he had were that of the toys that he had received from Happy Meals from McDonald's lol. I even tried to give him some of my wrestling figurines because I felt sorry for him, but by then he was only interested in his Happy Meal toys. And his collection was really something to see. Now when I inspect my the toys that my younger siblings have gotten, and the quality does seem to have diminished.

12. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, but we don't need to go that far back, I remember just a few years ago and they were decent toys and now it's just some chunks of plastic, it doesn't make any sense at all, if they can't give a toy they should not give those scary things, it doesn't benefit them.

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know if I completely agree with you on this matter. I mean, although I don't buy happy meals too often, I do see some quality toys. I buy more toys for my friends than I do for myself. I guess it just depends. Sometimes, you end up with toys that looked like they're manufactured by China and sometimes, you get really good ones.

14. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that all McDonalds toys are made in China, just some are made with good quality and others not really. I am going to McDonalds with the kids at least once per month in the last years, so I do know what I am talking about, the big brands simply aren't investing in them anymore.

15. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    While every once in a while they release a series of interesting, collectible toys - like the Wizard of Oz toys they put out last year -- most of these toys are junk. I remember when we were younger we actually got toys in our happy meals that were entertaining -- things we could play with. The quality has definitely gone downhill.

16. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974Member

Threads:
    Why is it frustrating if they fall apart? You didn't pay extra for the toy. It is just a perk. I know adults that buy the meals to get the toys. They will buy them until they have the whole set. If anyone would be upset about the quality of McDonald's toys I think it would be the collectors.

17. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    I definitely feel that the quality and fun of the toys have ben downgraded quite a bit, or it could be because I was seeing everything through childhood lenses. They used to require quite a bit of construction and imagination for them to be fun. Now, they're usually just given in a hunk of plastic that might as well just be a paperweight. However, happy meals still seem quite popular, so I don't them changing back to being better any time soon.

18. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I used to see advertisements for fairly high quality toys for McDonald's Happy Meals, I hardly see them anymore nowadays. It feels like the toys that they are coming up with nowadays are just made-in-China, low quality fillers meant as a gimmick to attract kids to eat their meals.

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think most toys have degraded and even the food, and on top of that they are getting even more expensive. However, to be fair, I think their toys are still okay and a lot of them are very imaginative. I've seen a few Mcdonalds toys from the US and they are still a bit better than the local ones we get in terms of quality and uniqueness.

20. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's case to say that any toy is better than none, especially for kids that don't have that many, it's a cheap way to get a "meal" and a toy at the same time, but I feel that they are already living in the shadow of their past because now the toys are bad.