Magic Bullet

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Trex78 • Oct 2, 2014.

1. Trex78

Trex78Member

Threads:
    My family recently bought one of these, and I've been very pleased. If you've seen the infomercials for smaller food processors, then I'm sure you know that these things can be used for a billion purposes, but mainly what my family and I have been using this thing for is to make smoothies.

It's really a great design, that makes assembly and cleaning extremely easy. Prior to purchasing this, we had a Ninja food processor, and the difference in effort required to clean either product is very noticeable. The blades on the magic bullet are compact, easy to rinse, and the chamber where the food-processing happens screws on upside down, making loading food much easier. I've been really impressed. So if you see a commercial for one of these things, where the advantages of this product are on display, take their words with a grain less of salt.

2. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I've got lots of friends who swear by their magic bullets, and we've thought about getting one of the "baby bullet" spin offs to make baby food, but then just decided that we could do it all with our Ninja, so I didn't buy the extra. Good to hear you've had great luck with it, and that it's easy to clean, that was one of the things I had concerns about given the size. I don't really have any problem cleaning our Ninja, but I can see where the troubles might be.

3. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I have a magic bullet and I really like it. I use it all the time for blending and making dressings and such. I also make blended mixed drinks in it. It so far has been worth every penny! I rarely use my immersion blender or food processor anymore. This is easier to clean and and quicker to use.

4. Trex78

Trex78Member

Threads:
    Dressings huh? What kind? Can I have a couple of your easier recipes, pretty please? I'm not any kind of chef, so I could use some know-how. However I do know from experience that easy-to-make, nutritious, but bland food can be fixed in a jiffy with a good sauce.

5. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    Can it do peanut butter? I'm looking for a food processor and ease of cleaning is definitely one factor I'm looking for. But I seriously want homemade peanut butter. (Try it!)

I'm a bit worried about the strength because it's so much smaller.

6. Trex78

Trex78Member

Threads:
    You know mate, maybe it could, and feel free to give it a shot, but I would not advise it.

The "NutriBullet," at least, which is the particular product I have, can only take things to a fine grind, but definitely not a smooth spread. Considering this, putting peanuts in there will probably require additional water or oil, or the result will be extremely thick and sticky (at best).

Adding water will immensely shorten the shelf life of the peanuts, by the way.

Additionally, the motor on this smaller model just might not have the kick to pulverize peanuts properly without damaging the motor. I've blown out food processor's before trying to make a paste out of sprouted wheat berries.

7. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have wanted one of these for some time. They are so popular and look so convenient for making smoothies. I have even seen guests at the hotel bring their along with some fruit to make sure they get some healthy food on their vacation. That is definitely on my wish list for someday if I should have enough money to buy it. Since it's not a necessity it's pretty far down the list, but it might be on my Christmas list.

8. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a Ninja man, because the product rings out "I chop, slice, dice, and kick butt, with ease. Hi-yah!" I have never tried the Magic Bullet products, but I doubt any werewolves have neither.

Maybe I'll give Magic bullet a try in the future, and compare between it with the Ninja too, because efficiency is one of the primary aspects of a product people require for nowadays.

9. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I got one of these used from a family friend. She bought it and she didn't use it. Score! I've used it multiple times a week since I got it from her a few months ago. I'm a smoothie person and it makes them quick in the morning. I don't have to get the big blender out of the cupboard, this works just perfect. Mine even came with lids for drinking, so this has made everything easier for on-the-go.

I haven't tried it for other things yet. I mainly used my blender for smoothies and that's what I use the Magic Bullet for as well. I might have to start looking at other ways to use it.

10. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    That's interesting to hear that you find it easier to clean in particular, I've been leaning more towards getting a Ninja and I've not heard anyone complaining about it being a hassle to clean up. That's definitely one factor that I'd take into consideration though, so maybe I'll have to get more opinions on it before I decide for sure.

11. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    It's really easy! And you can make your own small amounts and keep it in a resealable container in your fridge. I like knowing what's going into my dressings...no preservatives or mystery ingredients. All you need are 3 main ingredients for vinaigrette: oil (olive, grape seed, sesame, avcado work well), acid (sherry, red wine vinegar, balsamic, rice vinegar for asian dishes), and anything else for flavor. I usually toss in olive oil, balsamic or lemon juice, and shallots. After that it's just whatever I have on hand to flavor it. Some suggestions are: herbs, garlic, mustard, soy sauce, ginger, tahini...if you like sweeter dressings, try jams, sugar, honey, or agave. Add a little bit of salt and pepper if you wish. Aim for 60% oil, 30% acid, and 10% 'other' flavorings. You can eyeball it. Put it in your bullet or food processor and blend.

The flavors are fresh and much more interesting than what you usually find in bottles. I make about a cup at a time and eat it throughout the week and make a different kind next week.

12. Trex78

Trex78Member

Threads:
    Hi Jessie.

My mom actually has a Ninja, and I've used it, so I can personally attest to the Magurc Boolit's superiority, particularly in this regard.

The Ninja has longer blades, which are more difficult to assemble, both in terms of the positioning of the components, and the number of components. The NutriBullet is a smaller food processor, so the degree of these advantages may be limited in regard's to the size difference, and maybe a standard sized Magic Bullet is not this much easier to clean...

but

The number of parts, the shape of the parts, and the way the parts are assembled, in my experience, have been much easier to assemble and clean with the NutriBullet.

13. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    My mother bought the magic bullet, but she hasn't used it yet. It's good to know that it works so well. I remember seeing the infomercial about it and thought it was something I would want. It looks like it would be easy to use and the clean up doesn't look too bad. I want to drink more smoothies, so maybe I will get one too. Thanks for the recommendation about the magic bullet.

14. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I agree! I have one too! and believe me! this thing can make soup in a second! hot soup too! the blades will last you a life time because they are made from the same type of material that a surgeon's knife is made from, it's so tough it can basically slice it's way through anything, I love the Magic Bullet, I recommend!

15. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    While I do believe that they are good products, I have my eyes on a Blendtec and nothing less. I am just in love with every aspect of what the Blendtec can do, so I won't even take the step down as I believe that there is simply so much more that I would want to do beyond the capabilities of the Bullet family. I really believe that I will make a variety of hot soups!

16. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I remember always seeing the Magic Bullet in infomercials when I was younger and wanting to get one for the purpose of making smoothies and chips dips. I never got around to buying one though, but it helps to hear about your great experience with the product. Perhaps I'll end up getting one soon.

17. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a Magic Bullet and while it did work great for making a smoothie, it just didn't work well if i actually put many fresh fruits or veggies into the smoothie. It can only run for a few seconds at a time, or the motor gets too hot and shuts off. When that happens, then you have to wait for about five minutes before you can even think about using it again, while your half-mixed smoothie just sits there waiting to be blended.
    I have a Ninja with the two small blender containers and the large container with all of the big blades. I usually use the smaller containers when I am making a smoothie, and since it is electric powered rather than a battery, there is just a lot more power, and it will pretty much chop up anything.
    The larger container is fine if I am doing a larger batch of something, and I also use it like I would use a food processor to make things like cole slaw or carrot salad with, which you can't really do with the smaller blenders.
    For my uses, the Ninja is a whole lot better blender.

18. ChrisW

ChrisWNew Member

Threads:
    I am with Happyflowerlady above. We bought the Magic Bullet set and used it for a while, but it just seemed under powered. We did not burn it out, but when I would use it to do several things in a row, it would seem to get really hot.

I was drinking meal replacement shakes then, and it was awesome for mixing them. The great thing is the little blender cups come with lids. So when I was mixing shakes, I could put the lid on and take it to work in the same container I mixed it in. That is a really cool feature, because it lowers the number of things you have to wash.

19. Trex78

Trex78Member

Threads:
    Hey, yea.

As much as I've complemented the Magic Bullet in this thread (Well, wait. Again, to be specific: Magic Bullet is the brand line. The specific product of that brand line, which I own, is the "Nutri Bullet."), this would be one of the flaws that the product has. I've never used my Nutri Bullet for more than making one or two smoothies over 10 or so minutes, but I have noticed that the machine seems to be reaching its limit when I'm trying to grind really hard things (frozen powdered eggshell. long story). It can handle ice well enough, but that frozen eggshell really pushes the machine.

I don't know if ChrisW or FlowerLady are using the same product as mine, or if the other products of the line are larger and more hardy, but I'm definitely not skeptical of this claim, based on my experience.

Another flaw the product has is that sometimes the "gears" (so to speak) on the detachable grinding chamber, and on the stationary motor, are difficult to get to 'click together.'