Make do and mend or buy new?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by lizzief79 • Mar 20, 2014.

1. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    When your clothes are becoming worn, you lose a button or trends move on, what do you do? Are you the sort of person that will sew on a button, repair a tear and personalize an item to update it and save on the cost of new clothes? Or, would you throw away any items that are worn, damaged or out of fashion and pay for new items?

2. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    I normally mend my clothes. I'm more of the practical sort, rather than wasteful type. Of course, this depends on the type of clothing and also how big of the rip is. If my dress shirt has a few loose buttons, I will mend them. If they have a tiny tear near the bottom or around the sleeve, I'll mend it. If the pocket has come off, I may just ask my mom who was a seamstress to either repair it or rip it off completely. However, let's say my pants has a huge hole where the knee would be, then I would most likely forget about repairing it.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mending clothes is a great way to save money. It wouldn't make sense to buy something, say like an expensive jacket, simply because the zipper is 'acting up' or if a seam pops open. That's why it's alway advisable that everyone should learn how to do some basic sewing so that in case of anything you can do the mending yourself and save yourself the time you'd have spent finding a tailor and the money you'd pay him/her for their services.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I usually donate my clothes when worn, no fixing. Why? Because I usually buy second hand so I don't lose a lot of money and they are already kinda worn. Sure, if we talk about a button, I sew that. A zipper is broken? That's a bie bie. When buying new, yes, I tend to do more sewing and fixing since it's good money I spent, but this happens rarely.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the clothing items and also on what is worn out or in need of mending. For example, when jeans start getting worn out at the seams there isn't much you can do to make it look new, even if you mend it it won't look that good. So in those cases I usually just buy a new one. I don't spend a lot of money on jeans anyway so I don't feel bad for buying a new pair. Now with shirts and skirts I think it's easier to mend usually. I will ask my grandma to mend them for me!