Make gift giving easier

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by ChanellG • Sep 12, 2013.

1. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen a few threads on this forum about advice for how to choose a gift from what to give to whether you should give a gift card. When it's hard to decide what to do there are so go to items that make giving easier. The best thing though is to start a gift trunk/box/bin with a variety of items that work for male or female recipients that can be given on any occasion.

I usually keep photo frames and albums, journals, and small gadgets that are interesting and useful and I check sales and clearances regularly to stock up on these items. Sometimes you can give someone a really nice gift that might have been out of your budget if it hadn't been on sale just because you bought it at a time you didn't need it.

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    That's really a cool idea! This type of gift is perfect for bosses and co-workers. I have put these types of gift sets together before as a one time gift but never thought of just keeping a stock of supplies so I could put them together when I need them. This would prevent the run around of purchasing the items needed and paying way too much for them. Nice share, thanks!

3. Tribie

TribieMember

Threads:
    For generic gifts, I usually pick a specific shop and get everything there. Last year I decided to give away plants and so I just visited a garden. Two years ago I just got everything that I gave away in a bookstore warehouse sale.

4. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    That's it exactly! I have another bin with gift wrapping supplies as well. This is the only way to avoid those last minute mad dashes and you can often find nice things to include in a basket at the dollar store. Even a basket of paper clips, correction fluid, pens, etc., would be a thoughtful gift for a co-worker.

I have a lot of extra basil plants that I have been thinking of giving out as gifts as well. I have also given packets of flower seeds as gifts.

5. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

Never thought about this. It's actually a really really great idea I think I just might start this thanks for the idea.

6. Anna_Bella07

Anna_Bella07Member

Threads:
    That's really a very cool idea. :)

7. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Guys are sometimes hard to shop for so if you don't have anything in your gift drawer/box/bin at gift giving time, an easy way to create a gift for a guy is to fill a basket with snacks. Another option would be different kinds of barbecue sauce for guys who like to grill, or a few different beers for guys who like a good brew.

8. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I never thought about it. That's a great idea. It will save money and stress. :D I remember one time I was cramming because I did not have a gift to give. I went to different mall and I can't find something good to give. It's either I find something but it's out of budget or within the budget but not really good.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We usually jump on sales if we know it would make a good gift at some point. Great tips :)

10. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    If someone you know likes to doodle, you could put an artist gift basket together quite easily with drawing pencils, colored pencils, a small sketch pad or journal and something for inspiration such as a book of art post cards or a biography of their favorite artist. Think of a gift based on something they like, but also with possibly introducing them to something new in mind.

11. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I really hope my family never hears of this, because i stop having to receive one bad gift to just receive a box full of bad gifts, and i really don't want that!

12. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    The point is not to give someone a box full of bad gifts, but to make giving gifts easier on the giver. If you want something specific as a gift, I suggest you ask for it early on so that the people in your family do not waste their time or their money giving you something you will not receive graciously and gratefully.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always make it a point to ask for what a person wants before buying them a gift so that I know that they would really like and use it, but your suggestions are quite helpful.

14. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    That's a good practice; even if you aren't able to give someone exactly what they want, sometimes you can come close with a similar item. Where my suggestions would work for you would be if you had a friend or family member with a certain hobby or who liked to collect things, you could use the same techniques to plan ahead for gift giving to those people on your list. That way, you'd make things easier for you and still give them what you knew they would want to have.

15. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    This is a great idea! And I do it. It's very easy with kids toys. Shop clearance, or when a good coupon comes out. Great for birthday parties!! And jewelry, make up, so many things can be made into a gift basket!

16. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks, Treighsie! A good way to find stocking stuffer type games and toys for kids for your gift bin is to check out the dollar stores and mail order sites such as Oriental Trading Company. You have to be careful with some of the stuff at the dollar store, but it's a good place to get hair accessories and nail stuff for young girls. I have an aunt who is always driving me nuts looking for a barrette. My goal for Xmas this year is to get an entire bucket's worth of barrettes and give them to her so she has no excuse ever again of not being able to find one.

Oh, and I almost forgot. Another source for games and stuff for kids is a site called AreYouGame.com. If you check the sale section periodically throughout the year you can find good deals on a variety of items. They also have special, er, adult games that could be included in a gift basket for open-minded friends who are getting married.

#16Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  17. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    That's a great idea, just stock up on gifts when there are significant sales, better part of that is that there's no frantic running around the same day looking for something. Just pick something from the box and I'm ready to go :)

18. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I as well will buy things when I find them on sale or perfect for gift giving. I find small and unique gadgets are the perfect items to give as gifts - such as cosmetic cases, photo frames, home utilities and such! It's so relaxing knowing you have gifts ready if someone's birthday unexpectedly comes up!

19. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    It definitely is good to have those things on hand should you find that you need them. I find it is always easier to give gifts to women or non-personal items to someone who you are presenting with some small token. It's so easy to put together manicure items, little soaps or spa items... I am looking into items now that are suitable for men.

20. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been setting aside little things as I run across them for years. I like to treasure hunt at second hand stores where I find one of a kind and very special items that I will pick up for a person when I see it, set it aside and give it as a gift when the time comes. I have found things like a wine carrier that I gave to my daughter one year that I have never seen in a store.

Getting these types of gifts and setting them aside really take the stress off of giving and also can be a blessing when an unexpected guess comes by during the holiday season.