Make It Yourself: Baby and Facial Wipes

Discussion in Misc & Others started by FortisLupus • Sep 12, 2012.

1. FortisLupus

FortisLupusNew Member

Threads:
    Half a pint of COLD water.
    2 dessert spoons of baby wash (We used Boots own head to toe wash.)
    1 dessert spoon of baby oil - (We used Boots own softening oil.)
    1 roll of STRONG kitchen paper - (We used Thirst Pockets, cut in half and separated into individual sheets.)
    1 lidded plastic container, wide enough to hold the wipes.

Combine the water, baby wash, and baby oil in a pouring jug and mix together thoroughly. A fork works fine for this.
    Laying your pile of kitchen roll sheets neatly in your plastic container, pour the mixture over the top gradually, allowing the liquid to soak through the kitchen roll. Fix the lid in place, and store as appropriate.

If you need some of these on the go, grab a wedge of them from your container, wrap them around the handle of a plastic spoon or the like, and place inside a sealed plastic bag. You're good to go.

1 roll of STRONG kitchen paper, will make around 100 wipes. Most rolls in the UK, hold about fifty sheets a roll, so cutting one in half, will give you 100. Most economy baby wipes cost £1 for 50.

The savings become clear when you've used up all the ingredients. Kitchen roll is about £1 - £1.50 for a twin pack. Baby oil cost us £1.89, baby wash also cost £1.89. The initial outlay was just over £5. Some makeup wipes can cost up to this price for only 30!

The baby oil and wash are in 100ml bottles, and each dessert spoon is about 10ml. You can see the obvious savings there.

Total savings from 6 batches of wipes (3x kitchen roll (twinpack), 1x bottle baby oil & wash) compared to purchased wipes... £4.50!

2. xStylezx

xStylezxMember

Threads:
    Pretty clever and very well explained. I may have to pass this one on to a few. Thanks for the heads up, always love tidbits like this. :D

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you very much. What an awesome idea. I spend a lot of money on baby wipes. I also have a package of baby wipes and hand sanitizer in my purse. This will save me a lot of money.

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    You know, I've always wondered how I could make those, as I use them a lot for freshening up - especially when I'm in Spain. We also have a motor home, and baby wipes are handy if we have to stop overnight on a truck stop, or somewhere similar where there are no showers.

I'd be inclined to use

kitchen towels from Wilkinson. They're larger than any other kitchen towels, and can be torn in half lengthways - you can't tear them widthways - they're so strong. They're excellent when wet, and never break up. I've left them in pockets when washing, and once they've dried out, you can unravel them and use them again. They just never seem to break up. Although they're more expensive than other rolls, they last a lot longer.

5. FortisLupus

FortisLupusNew Member

Threads:
    Regina Blitz is the exact product we use for the bleach wipes. Each sheet is cut into half, lengthways. They are a lot stronger than most other kitchen rolls, and tend not to stick together so easily.

We recently made a batch of face wipes using Regina Blitz, and they worked out fantastically. One wipe is enough to freshen up hands and face. So definitely use those if you can get hold of them.

We're also looking at a longer term, reusable, solution. Using square muslin cloth to create the face wipes. Then, once used, they can simply be laundered and resoaked in the mixture... In the long run, it should save even more money :)