Make Your Own Protein Bars

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Feb 19, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Protein bars (and fiber bars and stuff like that) tend to cost a pretty penny. I usually keep some around, so I have something grab-able, but I try to catch them on sale and stuff.

I started thinking that it would probably be a good idea to find out how to make my own to save money. They've got to be healthier too, since I can control what does and doesn't go into them.

I found this:

Have you ever tried making your own? Were they good? Did they save you money?

2. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    I tried to make regular rum raising chocolate bars once. It was a disaster. But, I am never one to back down from a challenge. I'll try this recipe and see where it goes from there.

3. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, I haven't tried making my own protein bars. I've purchased them from groceries and health stores and I'm quite satisfied with their taste. But yes, the price can be a bit high especially if you eat them on a daily basis. I never thought of making my own protein bars. I'm quite experimental in the kitchen so this might work for me.

The only problem would be the ingredients. I guess I would have to find these ingredients in health stores or the local markets. But nevertheless, thank you for sharing this, it's quite informative.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you for that link. I never considered making my own protein bars. I don't like the taste of most protein bars. I do like the Luna Bars though. Making my own bar would give me greater control over the ingredients. I could also make a bar that is jammed packed with protein. The more I think about making my own bars, the more I like the idea.

5. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    This is something that my father would definitely be into. He makes his own granola and it is just filled with nuts because he tries to get as much protein in as possible, so this might just be a new way for him to do a similar thing. The beauty of things like this is you get to choose what is in there, and for me it would just be some sweet almonds.

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've actually been toying with the idea of doing this for quite a while. Like @Parker@Parker, I like the Luna bars, and I also really like the Kind bars. I've seen some easy recipes for making things like this, but they don't all seem to be healthy, so that's something I'll keep in mind when I take the plunge. I also want something that can be made with everyday ingredients. A trend I'm seeing is to make them with very expensive ingredients that are hard to find unless you live in the middle of an upscale urban area or want to order supplies online, but I'm o.k. with basic healthy ingredients.

@Zyni@Zyni that link has some really nice looking recipes. I've got it bookmarked for when I get around to doing this. I just bought 2 packages of bars last week, so it'll probably be a while, but I love the look of those recipes you posted. I'd probably try to make them in a shallow cake type pan and cut once they were ready, but there are also pans/molds specifically designed for this purpose.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was shopping the other day, I just kept thinking, "these things are expensive." I don't know why I didn't think about making them at home sooner. Then, it dawned on me that other people surely had the same thoughts, so I started looking around, and sure enough they did. Some of them look pretty good. I hope they work out for you guys too.

@Diane Lane@Diane Lane I was just going to use a regular pan and make them like cookie bars, or maybe use another pan I have that is more like a mini loaf pan. It has eight slots, and it works great for mini loaves of bread or cakes, but I've also used it to make individual brownies and stuff. I thought it might work for protein bars too. I didn't realize there was a special pan for making bars. Cool.