Make your own shampoo?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by jellybean • Sep 9, 2014.

1. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    Does anyone make their own shampoo? I have been reading about how bad commercial shampoos are for your hair, and was thinking about trying to make my own. I would love to know if anyone has had success with this. My kids have really sensitive skin, so it would be great to find something I can make that wouldn't irritate their skin.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried making my own shampoo, but does their skin still get aggravated when you use Johnson and Johnson's products? How about you use Oilatum and Cetaphil? They are known to be gentle on skin, I actually use them.

#2Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  3. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    Almost all products, and most definitely Johnson & Johnson irritate my children's skin. Johnson & Johnson is actually chock full of chemicals, as is cetaphil. Things that are constructed to be "gentle" on skin, tend to not be as natural. I have found one organic brand that works for us, but it is really expensive. I think I may have to start trying some of the home made shampoo recipes and hope they work.

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I make my own shampoo. It is really easy and not expensive. Here is one recipe, but there are many out there: 1/2 c. baking soda, a few drops essential oil, add enough water to make a paste and keep it in a sealed jar. When you are ready to shampoo, you can add a cup of vinegar. Then you gentle massage it into your scalp. When you have rinsed all the 'shampoo' out, you can then massage a little bit of coconut oil in your hair as a conditioner but only use about a quarter size drop in your hands or else your hair will never dry. There are also some very good shampoo bars out there so that when you are traveling you can take them with you and don't have to worry about breaking your glass bottle.

5. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think it is a great idea to be able to make your own shampoos. In this way you will reduce damage to your hair to quite a great extent. Also you know what is best for your hair and can exactly add the very same ingredients. My mom prepares her own shampoo and I am still in the process of learning how to do it. I think it is a great idea.