Make your own snacks

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Jessi • Jul 3, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    homemade-peanut-butter-crackers.

For example, if you love peanut butter crackers, use coupons to buy crackers and peanut butter when they're on sale. You'll get the base foods for super cheap, but then can make up several dozen snacks and store them in ziploc bags for later.

2. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    I make myself snacks (usually dried fruit, nuts etc) and put them in ziploc bags ready for when I work. Because I work from home the temptation to snack constantly is huge and I find doing this helps. Buying the ingredients on sale and stock piling is a good idea! I only wish the UK was as into couponing as the US - I love saving money! :)

3. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    This is a great suggestion. About 2 years ago we stopped purchasing the premade snacks. It has allowed us to save enough money over a six month period, to be able to do an entire months worth of grocery shopping on what we have been saving.

4. QuatreHiead

QuatreHieadMember

Threads:
    Not really snacks but I make my own cupcakes. It is far cheaper to make your own batch of cupcakes as opposed to spending anywhere up from $6 for half a dozen of them depending on the shop or grocery store. For that price you can make somewhere around 100 of them I would guess judging by how many I have made thus far on a single pack of butter. I would guess that would be the most expensive component, and that is assuming you don't know how to shop around for something way cheaper that what I have available.

Let's see, as far as other snacks go that I make for myself... I make a lot of toast and cheese with toast on it, sort of tastes like a grilled cheese sandwich.

I know another friend who makes little cubes that are snack cookies. I have yet to get the recipe from her however. But they look like they would be similar to the Lorna Doone cookies that are very tasty to eat.

5. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    It is so much cheaper to make your own snacks. Even to pack in your own drinks. Just buy the big quantities and put them into a smaller bag and pack them in, as mentioned earlier. As for drinks, I have a mini thermos/flask that I carry my homemade coffee or tea in so that I do not need to buy one on the go. That alone has saved me stacks.

6. DontFan

DontFanMember

Threads:
    Oh we love home made snacks, here is the list of the one we enjoy most:
    * yoghurt, just so easy to make them, you can mix fruits in too
    * mini tortillas, they are so yummy just out of the cooking range
    * dried fruits and fruit bars, we have so many fruits in the garden, they like spending time in the oven and coming out dried, a small bag of dried apricots will please many !
    * banana bread, i make them in the bread machine and it only takes 5min to prepare !

7. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I love homemade snacks also. The peanut butter and crackers are my favorite. I also love to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that are oh so delicious. With this type of snack there is no need for anything but something to drink like milk, juice or water and you are full for such a long time. Things that we grew up on are very good for your health, so enjoy.

8. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Two bananas are already enough for me. A peanut butter sandwich would also be fine. But I do not really make my snack. It is my girlfriend who does it for me and I think it is really sweet. :D

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Homemade snacks are not only cheaper, but they taste better too. I love vanilla wafer with peanut butter. Mostly I like nuts especially cashews.

10. Jessi

Threads:
    You're so right. Without all the extra added preservatives and chemicals to make sure they can stay packaged for long periods of time, the homemade versions always taste much fresher and are full of more flavor.

11. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    The homemade snacks are also full of love. Sometimes I make tuna sandwiches and they are so delicious with chips or just ritz crackers or whatever crackers that you like. I make my tuna with apples and all of my coworkers wanted to know how come it was so good. I told them to make it the way that you make tuna and just add an apple to give it some more of the health food taste. It is yummy, try it and let me know how you like that?

12. Jessi

Threads:
    I've had tuna with apples before! It's crunchy like it would be if you were to add onions, but slightly sweet instead. The kids love it, too, so it's an easy, healthy snack.

13. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I try and not buy any snacks. Ive gotten lazy with my pregnancy but still stick to healthy stuff. I make my own fruit and nut mixes, fruit salads, tuna sammy bites, cereal bars etc. I also dont buy baked goods, I make them myself.

14. QuatreHiead

QuatreHieadMember

Threads:
    I can't say I have heard of this one. That's an interesting idea. But I am the one who also never considered the idea of a tuna melt to be good... I admit I was a little skeptical about the idea of cheese with tuna, but it turned out just fine. So this may be a good idea to try. I do like how sometimes using Ritz crackers or honey wheat the saltiness of the tuna can bring out the sweet flavor of the cracker/bread. Hm. Thanks for this one!

15. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    You just put my favourite snack on screen, but you missed out the most important ingredient in that pic, The cold glass of milk.:D How could you?;)

16. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Sorry about the cold glass of milk I missed. Sure what ever you want to drink that is healthy for you drink that or a nice glass of lemonade would sound delicious or some fruit juice would be nice. A good chicken salad sandwich would also be a nice snack with lettuce and tomatoes on top. Just boil the chicken and or turkey and make it the same almost as the tuna with all the good natural seasonings that you like and that's another healthy snack.

17. kelthereth

keltherethNew Member

Threads:
    I made a nice recipe for using fruity rice crispy cereal. I love eating cereal for a snack, but I decided to drift from the norm, instead of just eating cereal and milk. I decided to make a cereal pie! I call it 'Rainbow Rice Crispy Marshmallow Pie'.

Directions:

1) Get a premade pie crust 2) Butter the bottom and sides of pie crust (for crispiness) 3) Add the 1 cup of cereal, 1/2 cup whole milk, 1 cup whip cream, 1 full pack of marshmallows (I suggest rainbow pack), and 1 Tablespoon of vanilla (not important, just for extra flavor) to a pot and mix on stove until everything is melted together. 4) Add cereal pie mixture to pie crust and bake at 350 degrees for 30 min. 5) Let pie cool for 10 mins after bake, then 20 min in fridge. 6) Cut fruity cereal pie and serve!

18. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    That's one hell of a saving to make, and it's also easy to do it. Now that you've quantified the possible savings, more people may be encouraged to try this. Of course, the other big advantage in making your own snacks is that you know exactly what you're putting into your body in terms of fat, calories and nutrients. It's a no-brainer, isn't it?

19. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    My kids love tuna and yesterday I tried mixing apple in with the tuna and it was an absolute hit - seriously, I have never seen them eat something with so much enjoyment! Thanks so much for the tip! :)

20. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    We just don't make a lot of snack foods anymore because it is just the two of us now. When we do snack, we usually just have some sliced summer sausage, sliced cheeses and some crakers to snack on. We also like to snack on nuts so we usually have a big bowl of mixed nuts in the shell available, too.