Make Your Own Yogurt

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Diane Lane • Jan 20, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I sometimes buy yogurt at the store, but I've noticed the prices have been going up, so I thought I might try to make my own. I've been looking around at these types of recipes, and found

, which seems really easy. I don't care for plain yogurt, so if I do make it, I'll probably add a little honey and some fresh or frozen (thawed) fruit.

Do you make your own yogurt or other foods at home? What types of foods do you make, and please share recipes so we can try them.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I do not make my own yogurt, I have looked into the recipes but it seems a little too much work for me. I do agree the prices of yogurt like everything else is going up. I would cut back some place else to be able to afford the increased price on the store yogurt.

3. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Yes, a few years ago I would have agreed with you on the amount of work. I doubt the process has changed, so I guess my budget, ideas of where I want to spend my time, and concerns about health have changed my mind. I like the idea of putting my own fruit and other flavorings (lemon, honey, etc.) into the yogurt, and knowing what exactly goes into the yogurt itself. There have been too many food recalls lately, so I'm looking into things a bit more these days.

4. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I have to be honest I have never really thought of taking the whole make it yourself thing to this level, but I have to say that having some homemade yogurt on hand would probably be a good thing for my diet. I do like yogurt and combining it with some granola is a perfect breakfast in my mind, but I do not really have it on hand a lot so this might help that. I am going to look into this and I might just have some tips here coming soon based on what I learn.

5. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I received my sprouts the other day for my homemade kefir, but I'm waiting to go to the store. I don't have any fresh milk in the house, and don't want to attempt to use reconstituted dried milk for that purpose. Here is a site that has a lot of information about making your own fermented foods / probiotics, in case anyone is interested. The site is Mother Earth News. This link takes you to a page where they have a book about it on sale, but you can check them out without buying the book. If you do choose to buy the book, you can use code MMEEMG1J at least for today and probably a few more days. I'll probably end up buying the book, but I'm going to check with my local library soon. Also, you should be able to find it on Amazon, and can probably get a Kindle version.

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also make my own kefir, and I like it much better than the expenive kefir they sell at the store. I have a yogurt maker; so sometimes I do make yogurt; but the kefir is much simpler to make, and it has bunches and bunches more probiotics than yogurt does.
    I started out with a Yogourmet kefir starter, and that worked fine, and I liked it; so then I ordered the kefir grains online, and started using those.
    It is a lot more complicated to use the grains, and you have to keep making more , even if you still have some left, because the grains have to always be fed fresh milk.
    Eventually, I just quit making it, and wasn't drinking it anymore.
    Then, I started thinking about how simple it was to make it with the Yogourmet starter, and I still had several packets of that left, so now I am making kefir again and using the starter instead.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't even make any type of food in particular, because I don't know how to cook, lol so I doubt I would be making any form of yogurt. I think I would just buy one when I feel like eating it.

8. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I ordered the kefir sprouts, and started them, but then got sick and forgot all about them, until the container got knocked over in the fridge...ugh. I'll have to look into the Yogourmet starter, to see if I can afford it. It would be much better for me to keep those on hand for when i choose to make my own yogurt, rather than having to constantly replenish the kefir sprouts with milk, since I don't always have it here.

9. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    I have never made my own yoghurt but it seems like a good project to try. How hard is ir for someone who has never done it before? I'm excited about it being fresh and bejng able to make it just the way you want. Yoghurt has been getting pricier lately and it's just such a giod breakfast. I wonder how much it'd keep.

10. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:

I used to own this yogurt maker and I got rid of it. I thought it would be a cool thing since I adore making ice cream and I have literally upgraded my ice cream maker three times in the last ten years. However, making yogurt seemed much more expensive than buying it and there are a few commercial flavors that I adore that I couldn't replicate.

Currently, my favorite flavor on the market is an excellent one, but it is supposedly only available for a limited time. It is the Sav-a-lot store brand and it is called Salted Caramel. It is the best yogurt I have ever eaten and while it is not supposed to be Greek yogurt, it is definitely thicker and a better consistency than most regular yogurt on the market. If you have a Sav-a-lot near you, you should definitely try it. Plus, it's super-cheap!

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know people who make homemade yogurt (as well as nearly everything else), but I haven't personally tried doing it. I think I might at some point though. Like you said, yogurt prices continue to climb, so it would probably provide good savings. I'll have to work out the numbers to know for sure.

I really like the idea of controlling what goes into it though. So much garbage in our foods these days. I'd love to be able to make my own and feel good about eating it (plus I don't want sugar or aspartame).