Making Baby Blankets

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Zyni • Dec 11, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you ever made a baby blanket? I've made many over the years, usually crocheted. Unfortunately, due to a long term injury, I cannot crochet like I once did. I can usually do a little at a time and get it done eventually. Lately, I can barely do it all, so I'm looking for other types of baby blankets to make. I would appreciate any ideas you'd like to share. Simple stuff, please.

2. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Hi, thanks for posting, this is really an interesting post. How are you injured? I am really sorry to hear about your injury. If you think about a blanket, you realize that it is only a piece of cloth that is used, nothing more, nothing less, except the fancy designs that are now given to them in our modern world. Before diapers were created, what was really used as a substitute? So I figure that you know were I am going with this. I would suggest that you use practically anything "clean" as a blanket for your baby, whether it is a clean, dust free towel, or a clean long, big shirt. I think anything will work, don't go out of your way trying to buy something fancy if you can't afford it, and don't waste time trying to get something while your baby is waiting on you, use what you have,be creative, how does that sound?

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is wonderful advice, and I am all about improvising, so thanks for sharing your ideas. In this case, I'm interested in making a baby blanket for a grand baby who is coming soon. I like to make handmade gifts, but I'm not as able as I once was. I was injured in a car accident years ago and suffered some permanent damage (which worsens with age). Some days are better than others, but I find my crocheting skills deteriorating. You did inspire me with an idea to make something though when you said "it is only a piece of cloth." I'll look for some nice, soft cloth and see what I can sew up. :)

4. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Awesome! @Zyni, I know you will come up with a very fine idea! Congratulations on your grand baby that is coming soon and I am very sorry to hear about your car accident. I know injuries worsen with age, but, if you can, don't forget to exercise daily, it helps, trust me, I'm going to share a story with you in relation to how effective exercise is.
    I know of a gentleman who was severely affected by a stroke, so much so that he cannot speak audibly at all! he mumbles every word, he walks with a severe limp, and his jaw sacks to the left of his face,plus his hands are always mid-air and he leans to the left when sitting at all times. The doctor told his family that he should exercise and they in turn ensure that he does so daily. Currently, he writes, though not as how he usually did, he looks healthier, he speak a little bit clearer than he did, and! he runs :) yap! you heard me...he runs! and he's pretty fasts too! So, no matter your injuries, just find something to do and it will help in getting you better than if you did nothing.
    I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you for the kind words.

I found some cute, really soft, light fleece. I'll see what I can do with it.

Yes, I am a firm believer that exercise does help. It's been difficult, because exercising can be very painful, especially if it isn't done properly. I am in physical therapy, which is teaching me how to do it better, without hurting myself so much. There is some improvement.

Thanks for taking the time to share that with me (with all of us).