Making Offers On Ebay

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by Diane Lane • Apr 6, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some listings on eBay are Buy It Now only (BIN), some are Auctions, and some are a combination of the two. On those listings under the Buy It Now format, some have an option to Make Offer.

If you've shopped on eBay, you're probably familiar with at least some of these options. Sometimes if the asking price is low enough, I don't bother to make an offer because I don't want to waste time, especially if it's an item I need in a hurry. However, there are times when I will make an offer, especially if I want the item but it's listed at more than I want to pay, and I think there could be some Wiggle room built into the seller's price.

I've made four purchases on eBay this week, and of those four purchases, I've made offers on two, and those offers were accepted, so I saved about 30% off the total of what I would have spent if I hadn't made the offers.

Do you shop on eBay? Have you seen the Make Offer option? Have you used it?

2. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I am on eBay a lot and have seen many items with the Make an Offer on them. I have not used this method before as the items I want are not listed like this. I do not know if I would make an offer as I would not really know how much to offer. I think that this would be a good way to get something for cheaper though. I may try it the next time I see something I want with this option.

3. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I think it's definitely worth making an offer. As with other venues, I wouldn't low ball the offer, since I wouldn't want to insult the seller, but I think many of those who list with the option to make an offer expect to receive offers on those items, so why not give it a shot?

I look at the seller's feedback and account to see if they're mainly selling items they don't care about, or ones in which they're emotionally invested, as in personal possessions. Since they may be more invested in personal possessions they're selling, they may be less likely to accept offers, especially low ones, but if they're dispassionate about the items they're selling, and sell mainly as a business, I believe they will often be more amenable to making something, rather than nothing, and so will be more open to reasonable offers.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I used ebay I always preferred to use 'buy it now' and 'make me an offer' as the items I sold were all new. I find auctions too much work when people bid silly and low prices and then haggle for the shipping. You have to remember most people buy cheap to sell on, and aren't always sophisticated buyers, so I don't mind offers. I find people that do use the make me an offer want the product for their own use (not to resell) and will be less hassle and give a good price.

5. Diane Lane

Threads:
    @alex@alex It always irked me when I was selling on eBay and would read articles stating to start auctions off at .1c or .99c in order to draw more buyers. I wasn't looking to attract lowballers who had no intention of paying anywhere near what the item was worth, and those tactics seem to attract those who make a habit of complaining, which can affect feedback. I did occasionally use the Make Offer option, but would try to list my items at reasonable prices, so as to attract interested parties who would want to snap them up in the first or second go round, rather than having to list them repeatedly, as many do these days. I agree, I make offers when I intend to use the item myself. I don't buy much to resell these days, since there doesn't seem to be much profit in it.