Making Your Own Candy

Discussion in Food & Drink started by cocolgooh • Mar 16, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I've made my own fudge, made my own chocolate shapes and chocolate buttons, or chocolates with fillings, and Kool Aid candy dots before but that's about as close to making my own candy as I've ever come. Is making your own candy something anyone here has every done? Are some candies easier to make than others?

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't make my own candies. I get sugar free candies at Walgreens, CVS or Walmart. I love candies and love Werhter's Caramel candy commercials and am so glad they've got sugar free candies too. th?id=OIP.Mbdf9926fbe9a235c02979cc09ffa3882H0&pid=15.1.
    (image from

)

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No I have not made my own candy before, I have thought about it but it seemed like to much work when I can go to the store and just purchase what I want. I do make cookies and muffins which I enjoy doing, I don't think I would like making candy, I usually stay away from small things.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This thread reminds me of our lean times when my husband would make some sweets so we have something to sell for a little profit. My favorite is the sweetened coconut which can be classified as a snack. It is grated coconut which is cooked in water and sugar. So simple but difficult to cook. When done, the grated coconut appear like powdery that does not stick. Packed in small plastic, the kids loved it.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've made a few things like the fudge or filled chocolates, but I haven't really tried making too many candies. I really don't need to spend time playing in sugar or chocolate ha ha. Sweets are my downfall, so I'm trying to avoid them. I can't see myself making them without tasting any. :p

I've made chocolate dipped fruits and nuts and pretzels, but as for fancier stuff, not yet. I have been meaning to try my hand at making chocolate truffles though. They are my favorite, but good ones tend to be a bit pricey. I could save money making homemade candies instead of buying them.

Is there any special type you have in mind to make?

6. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    The coconut sounds great, @Corzhens@Corzhens! I'm a big fan of anything with coconut in it!

I know where you're coming from with sweets being a downfall, @Zyni@Zyni! If there's something sweet there I might pick at it, but if there's nothing there I can usually resist... Usually... ;) Chocolate makes everything better, right? I love things dipped in chocolate! I'm not entirely sure what specifically I'd want to make but I've been considering trying it for a while. I understand that gummy fruit type candy can be made with gelatin quite easily so I might consider lookking into something like that.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never made candy of my own, and quite frankly, it's not something that's ever entered my mind. I suppose I don't like it nearly enough to go that far? However, I love fudge, and I'd be interested in experimenting with that! Would you say it's fairly easy to make, @cocolgooh@cocolgooh? I've never given it a thought, but now you've mentioned it, I'd be interested to see what's out there in terms of recipes :)

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've made my own ice pops before but that's about the extent I'd go to making candies. I think making actual hard candies or caramel candies would just be a bit too messy and require a bit of effort and I think I'd much rather just pay for it at a store rather than make it myself since I'd have to clean up pots and pans and I'm not really that much of a candy consumer anyway to begin with, so the enjoyment I'd get out of it wouldn't equal the work I put into it.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have made fudge before and like peppermint bark at holiday time. It is more economical to make your own candy with the highcost of candybars these days, it makes sense to do it. You can also easily melt chocolate chips and put pretzels or peanuts in it for an economical candy snack. You can even use puffed rice, for a lower calorie treat.

10. venusflytrap

venusflytrapMember

Threads:
    I like to make my own muesli bars and ice cream at home. I usually use puffed quinoa or amaranth, roll it in honey, sesame seeds, chocolate powder and cinnamon. It tastes heavenly (at least to me :) ). As with ice cream, I like to make a simple one with bananas, cashew nuts and soy milk. I mix the ingredients together in a blender and then put the mixture into the freezer compartment of my fridge Within a couple of hours I have a delicious home made dessert. :)

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't even know how to cook, so I obviously haven't tried to make my own candy. I would just prefer to buy them, after all depending on the kind you buy they are relatively cheap anyway.

12. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Coconut ice, various kinds of toffee and fudge, coconut chocolate truffles and many variations of chocolate dipped fruits and nuts - are all extremely easy and not too time consuming to make.

However, apart from - coconut chocolate truffles and chocolate dipped fruit and nuts - which are by far my favorites - I really only ever make candies as gifts or when having people to stay - simply because - as neither of us particularly like sweet things and really only enjoy them very, very occasionally - meaning maybe a couple of times a year at most - I can't justify making them if they likely to land up going to waste - which as - even though they are absolutely delicious - 2 or 3 are generally more than adequate for us - they would - if there was no one around to finish them off.

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fudge is actually pretty simple to make on your own. I also like the taste of homemade fudge far better than anything you can buy at a shop, and it's less costly to make at home.

The main thing to consider when making fudge is that you need to take your time. Some recipes require a lot of stirring to make sure the sugar dissolves properly or the candy will seem "gritty." There are super simple recipes available too, which take mere minutes to make and are also delicious.

My aunt used to make fudge for Christmas. It was absolutely delicious and everyone thought she fussed. If only they knew how simple it was to make.

14. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely want to try making my own candy. I thought about making Ferrero Rocher's because it's my favorite candy. I just wish they offered more than 3 for a dollar. I don't know if what I make will turn out tasting anything like it. But I think it would be very fun to try.

15. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've made a few different types of candies over the years, mostly to bring to parties or as gifts to some friends. I'm no chocolatier by any means, but there are some relatively easy recipes for candy out there.

One of the first types I made were "buckeyes" - which if you're not familiar with them, they're just balls of peanut butter dipped in chocolate, where you leave a little bit of the peanut butter exposed, giving them the appearance of an actual buckeye. The peanut butter filling may have some other additional ingredients besides just peanut butter, such as confectioners sugar, or vanilla or butter.

I've also made basic chocolate truffles, which were surprisingly easy too. You just make a basic ganache filling by melting some chocolate in a double boiler with a little cream, then let it chill and solidify in the fridge. After that you just scoop it out into balls, and dip the ganache filling into some more melted chocolate. Or you can simply dust it in some cocoa powder.