Making your own coffee

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Peninha • Apr 8, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people are really coffee addicts and can drink several cups per day. Have you considered making your own coffee and carrying it with you or is this something that you can't be bothered with and you prefer to buy it every single day? How much coffee do you drink?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It can certainly be cheaper than buying cups of coffee from places like Starbucks. But it's also very easy to get carried away with buying all sorts of expensive coffee beans, appliances, water filters, and other stuff - so you need to be careful with that.

I would say one of the cheapest and simplest ways to make your own coffee at home, would be to just pick up a can of your favorite reasonably priced ground coffee, and an electric percolator. The electric percolators are nice for several reasons. They are easier to clean, they have far fewer parts, you don't need to buy any filters for them, and they will actually brew the coffee stronger than the drip brewers - meaning you could possibly use less coffee to get it to the strength you like.

3. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I almost always make my own coffee. I don't think people even think about the overall cost of coffee when they pick up a cup or two on the way to work and on their coffee break. A cup of coffee at a local coffee place is anywhere from $1.50 to $3.00 for basic coffee. I can buy a pound of beans or grounds for about 7.00 and I assure you that I get more than 4 cups out of a pound of coffee.

I cycle a lot and occasionally I meet with a friend for coffee or just feel the urge to have a cup. I have no difficulty paying a couple of dollars once every couple of weeks to buy coffee out. Carrying it in a backpack in a thermos is not really something I like to do.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a big coffee drinker, I have one cup in the morning at home, and then usually another one in the late afternoon in a café with a friend.
    My previous partner was a huge coffee drinker. He wouldn't feel centred if he didn't have at least 5 cups a day. Sometimes he didn't get his caffeine fix in time and his face would turn pale and he'd get cranky with me. That's when I started to always carry a box of chocolate coated coffee beans in the glove box of our car. Those caffeine loaded bullets would give him the necessary hit when it was difficult for him to reach his next coffee satisfaction.

5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I drink two or three soluble coffee cups, the kind that comes in those little bags. And not only it's more expensive than making my own, but it's also unhealthy. I'd consider making my own coffee but I don't have a coffee filter. Maybe I should buy one, now that I mention it. As for people that have a lot of coffee when outdoor, a thermos sounds like a good investment. Just make a bunch of coffee, place it inside and you're already saving money. Granted, some people like the feeling of buying and holding a warm cup of coffee from the vending machine.

6. megshoe

megshoeMember

Threads:
    I'm a big coffee drinker, and I always make my own. If and when I stop somewhere for a latte or another fancy drink, it's a treat and not my morning fix. I do prefer to make my own coffee in a French press, though. I buy whole beans, which is cheaper than pre-ground, grind it myself in the morning and then brew it in the press. It's a lot of work, too much work for many people, which I totally understand...But I like to have control over the strength and freshness of it, plus it's more environmentally and financially friendly than buying filters, or capsules.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you want to get even cheaper, you can just get one of those stainless steel stove top espresso makers that costs $5 in a Hispanic market and uses no electricity.
    My Cuban grandmother used the same one for years. They just have 3 parts to them, and brew a cup of extremely strong espresso that can make one person's blood pressure skyrocket or make lattes for 2 people.

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am to buy a coffee machine to my place for a long time now, but the fact is that I live in a small flat and I don't have space for many things, including the coffee machine. I need to redistribute some things around the house to see if I can make space for it.

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I make my coffee every single day and rarely buy it. I love to try out different ways of making coffee and hence enjoy making it. I have always thought that spending on coffee is nothing but a waste of money. When you can easily prepare it at home, why but from anywhere else.

10. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I work at home and so I can always make my own coffee. We used to have an electric percolator; but since we are avid coffee drinkers, we decided to shift to using drip brewers to save on our energy bills. We drink about 4-5 cups of coffee daily. When we are outside, I don't mind buying a cup of espresso blend from a coffee shop since we don't go out often anyway. My husband does not buy his. He would rather wait until he gets home to drink his home brew.

11. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I make my own coffee every morning. If I want one in the afternoon at work I'll go for a walk and pick one up. I'd say 85% of my coffee is made at home. Buying coffee out 3x a day would be too much money for me. You save so much making it yourself, even if you buy premium beans. When I do get coffee out and about I stick to black so it's usually only 1.50/2 bucks. Still, that's quite a mark up!

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    When I drank lots of coffee, I used to bring my own but it wasn't really all that practical since I could only ever bring one container at a time and because it was a thermos it was big and bulky and it didn't provide nearly enough content that would justify the effort I had to give to lug it around. Now, I'm thankfully off the habit and I now only carry around bottled water which is way easier to bring around.

13. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I make my own coffee most days. I only go to a coffee shop once a week now, and it's more for the experience than the coffee. I don't even use a coffee maker, I just put the grounds in a pot wth water, bring to a boil, take off the stove, wait a few minutes an pour through a strainer. I get far more flavor that way per scoop of beans.

14. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Even though I usually have a coffee at work after lunch, that doesn't always happen.
    But when I'm home I have at least a coffee in the morning and one after dinner, so I do make most of my coffee, even if I sometimes get one from the machine at work.

15. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that when drinking coffee out it's a hit or miss really, some places do it great while others awful. When doing it at home we already know what to expect, so I prefer to drink it at home, except if it's a place I trust in.

16. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer making my own coffee in my own way. I like drinking good coffee and I believe that this is the only method to not get bad quality or tasting coffee from some coffee shops. Even if I don't always have time to do it and sometimes I buy it from stores, I like doing it myself. I drink about 1-2 cups a day.

17. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that making our own coffee is a art, for example, I've always admired those foamy coffees, cappuccino like, they seem more tasty than the regular ones, but on the other hand I think those require a special machine.

18. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    I am not a coffee addict but I do drink coffee occasionally. I make my coffee several times a month. I drink the soluble coffee which is pre-packed in convenient bags with sugar and milk. I drink 2 cups at most daily. They are good enough to replenish my energy. I will buy from the stores when there is coffee promotion. Their taste is unique. Luckily, I am not getting addicted to buy from stores.

19. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ah, that word soluble takes me back in time, when I was a kid my mother always made me for breakfast coffee and milk and I loved it, even today I associate the smell of soluble coffee to those times, and the flavor is still awesome. ;)

20. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I make my coffee at home every day. I use to get a cup from Starbucks but that last price increase turned my off of Starbucks. I don't really like the coffee so it was not that hard. Over $2 for a cup of coffee when I can get a whole can of coffee for no more than $10 that will last more than 2 weeks. No thank you. I guess I am just cheap.