Making Your Own Condiments Like Ketchup

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Theo • Jun 24, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Has anyone made their own ketchup to save money? I recently saw how much sugar was in ketchup and thought about making my own as it would be healthier and cheaper, but wondered how long it would last?

I would also like to make my own mayonnaise and pesto as I think that can be cheaper too. Has anyone tried this and how much do you save and how long do the condiments last?

2. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I make my own condiments all the time to save money and to know what goes into them as I have food allergies and like to make sure I know what goes into the food I eat.

Ketchup should last around 5-6 months if it's canned and stored correctly. It can also be frozen although the consistency will change when it's defrosted.

Mayonnaise will last a week or so in the fridge. I've never personally kept it longer than that but it's not really an issue in my household as it's always eaten by then anyway!

I've never made pesto, so I can't personally give you much advice on that one though.

For me it's more about knowing I can eat the product than about saving money but I'd estimate that I save around £0.50 a bottle making it myself because I have to buy certain brands that I can eat. I like that I can tailor it more to what I want at the time too though. If I want a spicy ketchup I can make it spicy, or if I want a plain one I can make that too. And of course it's healthier too! I'd recommend giving it a go!

3. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I always make my own condiments, because they are very easy to make and I find that in my home we get through them quickly so there is never any waste of any kind. There is a huge markup with regards to price in the supermarkets, and this means that by making the things yourself you are going to save a lot of money in the long term.

4. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    This is good for more reasons than sugar content as sodium would be reduced as well. Not much of ketchup person but I once made bbq sauce from scratch and it got a lot of compliments. What I would like to try next is substitute mayo and sour cream with Greek yogurt in dressing and aioli sauce.

5. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I think I am pretty lucky here because I do not really use many condiments, so I guess that is my own way of saving money on them. If I did use them a lot, though, it would make perfect sense to just make a bunch of my own for cheaper and always have it on hand. Makes sense to me.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never would even think of making my own condiments. I buy them only all the time. Reading your posts got me interested in making my own condiments for it seems it's tastier and better for your health. Thanks!

7. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As I can only eat totally natural foods prepared from scratch - making all my own condiments and dressings is something I've always done - meaning every kind of sauce or dressing imaginable including mustards and pesto - as apart from being relatively easy and very inexpensive to make - they're very definitely a whole lot tastier and way healthier than anything that can be bought from a store.

I too would say the same as has already been mentioned - in that storage time for most condiments tends to vary depending on ingredients and method of storage - but for most is reasonably lengthy

:oops: nearly forgot - storage time for home-made pesto is - up to one week in the fridge or 3 to 4 months in the freezer.