Malware Programs free or paid versions?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Zyni • Oct 11, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you buy the full package when it comes to malware protection (something such as Malwarebytes) or do you just use the free versions? Are there any other good programs available that you run in conjunction with the usual ones? If you run several different free ones, do they each find different things?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would never pay for an anti-virus program, although now that my pc is infected with a keylogger that was not able to be detected by my anti-virus and anti-spyware programs, then I now consider paying for those programs that are intended to find and remove keyloggers.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would suggest giving Kaspersky a try, in combination with Malwarebytes. Look for instructions, as you may need to run either or both in safe mode to get rid of you problem. It's also just better to see if there are proven instructions before attempting to tinker about. You can use the free trial of both of these, and they work very well. Best of luck.

4. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I try not to use either version, other than Windows Defender which is built in, I don't do anything with malware or spyware programs as they seem to attract more issues than they prevent. I'm just particular about what I click on and Firefox has the capability to throw up a warning screen when they think you are about to go to a site that could be harmful to your computer.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Only a handful of anti-malware programs are worth paying for, and I have no problem giving the best options my money for the premium versions. The best anti-malware developers give a lot of features for free but save the best ones for paid users. I have no problem with that. I don't use an actual anti-virus program because the real threat is malware. You have to be pretty lax to wind up with a virus on your machine.

6. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have always used free software and have never had a problem. I have been using free software ever since the 90s and I have been pretty safe. I think you just have to be on top of scanning and making sure that the free software is updated. That is the key.

7. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    have been using the free version of Malewarebytes for last couple of year without any kinds of issue at all. The pro version has its fair share of benefits though.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    MalwareBytes is a fine program when used in the free mode, but I've tried the full version of it as well and hated the real time protection from it. It was constantly blocking me from visiting various web sites, and frequently creating too many false alarms about sites and programs, and was generally driving me nuts.

The problem with many of the paid versions of these types of programs is they constantly want to keep reminding you that they are running, so you feel like they are actually doing something at all times. In contrast, did you ever notice how non-intrusive Microsoft own Anti-Virus is? It only notifies you of something really important, otherwise it works quietly in the background. I hate AV programs that nag the hell out of you constantly, and interrupt everything you are doing.

AVG on the other hand has gotten much better, and I am really pleased with their full (paid) version of their software. They also make it easier to temporarily turn various forms of protection off as needed without having to sift through a ton of options buried away in their control panel. The UI is much improved and intuitive.

9. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would avoid paying for protection as there are plenty of decent programs to choose from. The biggest problem with paying for anti-virus or malware is you have to pay for it every year. If you are 100 percent cautious of what you do online and you scan every now and then with the free software you should have little problem with vulnerabilities.

10. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I've been using Malwarebytes for months now and i think it's a great anti-malware program. It really does the job and i trust it fully. Whenever i feel like my computer is infected with malwarebytes, i run Malwarebytes right away and it does detect the culprit. LoL Whenever my computer is slowing down, i also would run Malwarebytes and sure enough it would detect some threats.

11. hclpd

hclpdBanned

Threads:
    You could use the paid version if you want, but there is no need of it honestly. The free version of Malewarebytes is going to get the job done for you. I have been using it for last 2 years and have not complaint about it. It works pretty flawlessly. Which one are you guys using? It is paid or a free version?

12. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    In these times, competition in the field of antivirus has made the free offers presenting quality standards matching the level of pay packages from the past.

If you ask me I do not see the need to pay for malware protection. At all. Some surfing around the specialized sites would suffice to find a free option that has very good reviews and has enough satisfied users to fill expectations.

13. ohiotom76

Threads:
    The other issue with Malwarebytes, at least on all the machines I've run it on, is if you do purchase the full version and have it protecting in real time 24/7. it's a huge memory hog. So if you are on a lower to mid range system, you're going to see a definite drop in overall performance in exchange for it's real time protection. I had to turn it off on my systems, because I couldn't run it and Adobe programs together without them both maxing out my memory and giving me memory limit warnings.

At some point the program which is supposed to be protecting you from viruses and malware is actually causing more mayhem and performance issues than the malware itself. It's like how AVG and McAfee claim to protect you against adware hijacking your home page, yet their own damn programs do the same thing when you install them!

14. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Uhh, you can't compare getting some memory intensive software to your computer being compromised and used to DDoS someone or send spam...
    Either way, I just use Security Essentials, it's absolutely everything you'd ever need and I don't think it takes up any significant amount of memory. At least not on my 8GB RAM system, I didn't really bother to look up how much exactly it takes up. :V

15. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I love the Norton products because they are easy to run while you are doing other projects or another window. Whereas McAfee will interfere with the navigation of whatever I am doing.

16. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Might I make a suggestion here. I know someone who has recommended Malewarebytes to me. However, he has recommended the free version only, not the upgraded one. I guess he also heard about some of the blocks on the upgraded version. Yes, the free version is only free for the first month then there is a fee per month if you stay in the program. The nice thing is though its entirely up you whether you stay in. The website doesn't take your payment information when you first sign up. This is asked after the free month trial, so its completely your decision not the website thinking that they are staying in that automatically charging you without your consent. So, download the free version use it to find maleware that could currently be on your computer then if you want you can continue or not its entirely up to you.

17. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Out of curiosity, I have downloaded a free software from the internet not totally knowing that it will do more harm than good on my pc. Since I installed that free software, I always had this annoying pop ups. They were everywhere and it was very annoying. My husband right away installed the free version of Malwarebytes and he was able to solved the problem. We seems to like the free version and when it expired, we bought the paid version. Until now, we have no more problems with malware and adware and the pc has been running smoothly.

18. Metalhead

MetalheadNew Member

Threads:
    Junkware Removal Tool is a security utility that hunt down and uproots basic adware, toolbars, and undesirable programs from your machine. A typical strategies among freeware distributors is to offer their items free of charge, yet package them with adware to acquire income. This device will help you evacuate these sorts of programs. I used it after I got fed up MalwareBytes and it really shows results.

19. ohiotom76

Threads:
    You should also be cautious of the many programs out there who are masquerading as security programs but are actually malware/adware themselves. None of the reputable antivirus/antimalware apps nag you with browser pop ups warning you that your computer is infected and telling you to download and install their software. How would they even know if you don't even have their software installed yet and they haven't even done a scan? Any vendor whose ads are telling you your computer is infected is basically a scammer themselves trying to get you to install their adware crap. Unfortunately even once reputable sources of downloads, such as Download.com, CNet, Java and others have all started bundling this crapware with all their downloads too.

20. Beautyspin

BeautyspinMember

Threads:
    I use KIS2014 paid version and a lot of free anti spyware software. In fact, every other month I uninstall the old one and download a new one and scan my PC. I also use free online scanners once in a while so that I can be sure my antivirus is not compromised. It works for me.