Man Candles

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Zyni • Oct 19, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A recent post about scented candles inspired this one, since it reminded me of when I first heard about man candles. They come in fragrances like bacon and freshly cut grass. I thought it was a rather cute and clever idea. This might make a good gift for someone, if you need a fun gift like for a grab bag or Secret Santa thing.

2. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I think this so called man candles is kind of interesting. But personally, I would only buy bacon scented candles to prank someone. :D Though the freshly cut grass scent sounds appealing to me. :rolleyes: I also think it's a fun gift for someone who likes or collects scented candles.

3. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Sounds like a fun "joke" gift to give someone, but I wouldn't see it as something that's entirely all that practical to actually use. I do love me the smell of bacon, but it's not something I'd want to smell ALL the time. Especially when I don't get eat bacon after smelling it.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Never heard of man candles. They really seem like a joke or gag gift. I could see real estate agent using the bacon candles to help sell homes. I love the smell of bacon. I don't eat it, but I do love the smell. I hate the smell of cut grass because I'm allergic.

5. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I have some friends who buy guy scented candles. They are not "gag" type scents-- they smell similar to a lot of soaps, cologne, and other body products targeted toward men. I think it's a good idea because I know a few guys who have funky smelling apartments. They have no idea what to do about it so they buy candles but don't want apple cinnamon type smells floating around. With manly candles :D they can help the smell!

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lat time I heard of man candles, they were not being bought because they were very expensive. To me they sound like one of those appositely-named products that are specifically meant to sell a product because of the label attached to it: "man candle." Any 'manly man' would want to buy that and leave the rest of the candles to the ladies, huh?

Definitely not the candles I'd buy unless there were no other options. While there are cheaper candles in the stores, I'll get those.

7. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Cool candles. I would love to have those candles. I think that they are really going to be good gifts to someone. Some would be annoyed, some would find them interesting. But for me, I would love to have and light them. Those candles are really creative.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't really think of anyone I would buy them for who might actually like them, since most of the men I know really aren't into candles. I just thought it was a cute idea for "fun" gifts or for grab bag stuff, where you really don't know what to get someone. I think it would be well-received in that venue and make someone smile. It's a lot better than getting a roll of toilet paper or something stupid, because people don't know what to buy. They come in lots of other scents as well.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only men I know who buy candles are my gay friends and witches for their rituals. Scented candles aren't a male thing, my gay friend has them and they are vile and he is a real drama queen.

There are more candle companies around and my brother has them for decoration, but no one is allowed to actually light them. I did once when there was a power cut and was told I had ruined them by lighting them!

10. Timetrvlr

TimetrvlrMember

Threads:
    I'm a man and my favorite scent is cinnamon as in cinnamon buns. Once there was a Cinnamon Bun coffee shop in our local mall and the scent of cinnamon buns wafted throughout the mall. That little store was usually standing room only and I understand why, most everyone finds that aroma appealing.

11. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm...I've never heard of man candles. They seem like they'd be a good gag or so called "white elephant" gift for someone, but I don't know about giving them as a serious gift or like office or secret santa kind of thing. Interesting idea, though.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never heard of this particular product but I've seen some similar ones that integrated men's tastes into something traditionally for women, and they are always fun for a gag gift or as a novelty item but that's about it. If it did smell really nice though, I don't see why I wouldn't do repeat orders, but that's for the less odd scents. I doubt I'd want bacon smells in my house all day.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I was rolling my eyes when I saw these, and to be honest, they are mildly sexist too. Fresh cut grass? I'm surprised they didn't come out with one that smells like gasoline and motor oil. That's like coming out with a line of scented candles for "women" such as a Pot Roast smelling candle called "Where's My Dinner, B@#$!?", or a scented candle with hints of laundry detergent and baby powder called "Stay At Home".

What Yankee Candle should come out with is a candle that smells like burning money.

14. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty sure that I would only purchase these as a gag gift -- if i had bacon scented candles burning in my house, my family would be constantly confused and angry thinking that I was making breakfast at all hours of the day LoL! It is an interesting concept but I don't think it will become the next big thing.

15. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Okay, I laughed way harder than I should have at this. Thank you for the laugh, Tom. It's true to some extent, but still hilarious, especially the one about Yankee Candles.

I don't really think the candles were meant to offend, but meant for humor. I don't think anyone is meant to take them seriously. Well, I would never give them as a serious gift, anyway, but as a gag gift... yep. Then again, I'd give the ones you made up as gag gifts too. lol

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I think of a man candle scent I think of sandal wood and earthy aromas similar. The scent of bacon is liked by more than men. I don't think I would want a candle with the aroma of bacon for very long. Cinnamon and apples is one of my favorite scents to make the house smell homey.

17. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    A friend of mine makes candles and she has some scents that are what I would call "manly" or "guy-friendly". My boyfriend loves one she makes called "By The Fireplace" which smells of fire burning, cologne and light sage.
    We also use English Leather or Moonlight type scents in his man cave or our living room.

18. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There were already plenty of Yankee Candle fragrances that I already liked - I don't see the need for them to market a line of "man candles" to me, as if to imply all their other fragrances are too feminine for me. Their "midsummers night" and "citrus and sage" are both perfectly fine with me, as are neutral scents like "clean linen".

Speaking of pranks, I always wanted to come out with a line of prank candles, that starts off with a pleasant scent, then switches over to something totally awful smelling like sewage, or farts, or something lol. However, some other folks already beat me to the market with these.

19. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Aside from the common uses of candles like for birthdays and religious events, we use candles when we have house guests and we had to eat in the terrace or in the backyard. So as the flies wouldn't be bothering us while eating, we would light some candles. The smell of ordinary candles would drive away the flies. And maybe if the candle is scented, it would be a stronger defense against the flying pests.