Managing the heat

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Gelsemium • Apr 7, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How do you manage the heat at your place? Sometimes we just turn the heater on automatically and we don't even think about it, but is it that cold? Sometimes putting it a little lower or just covering ourselves with a blanket make us save some money, no need to have the heat on all the time right?

2. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    That's true, you don't need it turned on at all times. I avoid turning it all at all costs, only if we really can't get warmed up enough with blankets, as having the heater on increases your electricity bill by quite a lot.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Last year I installed a thermostat with the intention of saving on heating but I noticed that in the end I payed more. So my solution was to bring the thermostat settings down with a few degrees then, when I felt it was cold in the room, I brought them up with one or two degrees. The idea is: if you keep the heating running you don't even notice the heat so I find it's better to let the room get colder then turn the heat up to warm the air. It's more pleasant for me this way and I end up saving good money.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We only turn on the heater as a last resort because heating and cooling make a big difference to the electric bill. We use our leopard and zebra Snuggies or layer on sweaters and socks.
    Fortunately it only gets really cold in Florida a few weeks out of the year. During hot days, we open all the windows and run a box fan and dress for the heat.

5. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have no cooler even though it can be up to 42ºC in the summer, we manage to endure that. At winter is different, we need our heating, but recently I've been having more care with it because it's super expensive and sometimes the end of the month is hard to come.