Massage as a gift

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Theo • Sep 26, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally would love to receive a massage or a course as a gift. They are a luxury or a necessity for some and when it's a gift it's more of a treat. A good idea is to make it into a spa day or tie it in with a facial or manicure to relax more and with more vouchers being offered on websites, like Gilt, Groupon or Living Social it's more affordable. Many places offer 2 for 1 during the week, so with some forward planning it can be cheaper too.

I like to treat a friend and will book a treatment as a gift and make a day of it together. It does take some planning, with times and dates, but it's worth it and a friend who has never had a massage or facial will appreciate trying something that never have got round to.

2. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I would love a massage as a gift!! Let's face it, we never take time for ourselves so getting a gift like this would almost force me to actually do something for me!!! Sad it has to be that way but I'm a wife and have 4 children so they are my focus. I spend most of my time on them and not much on myself. :)

Pretty typical I think but I believe we need to take care of ourselves if we ever want to be able to be there for the ones you love!

Danyel :) :)

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's a wonderful idea to treat one's self or a friend to a massage. Actually, I think it is one of the most thoughtful gifts that you can give someone, as almost everyone enjoys a massage and to be pampered in some way. Personally, I would be delighted if I received a free massage every so often. Even if it is only for my birthday. :)

4. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    That's a great idea. I would love to receive one as a gift. I get massages every so often but not regularly because of the price. A spa day would make me really happy! It would be very fun to do it with a friend too.

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Here, in the Philippines, there are vouchers that we can buy to avail cheaper massage sessions or other spa treatments. I always buy vouchers for 75-minute massages for only 99 pesos or 2.50 USD each. They are very affordable and convenient.

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Though I think that giving one a message would be really touching, giving it alone as a gift wouldn't make much of an impact. I strongly think that there must be something incorporated with the message, and that the message should only complement the gift. Because messages is like you just want to say something to someone, while a gift is something that you should give to someone to make him feel special. Something that would remind that someone of your impression of him, shouldn't be direct and must be amenable with the own interpretation of the recipient.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It's common here to give and receive gift certificates for massages and spas as a gift. I've given one or two friends of mine who love getting massages and spa days on their birthdays, but I only limit it to those I know who will enjoy it. I find that spas really aren't for everyone as some people are a little squeamish with having others touch their bodies.

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I would love to get massage as a gift as it is really helpful to get rid of the stress of the life. I also think it is quite costly these days to get an excellent massage. Hence if it comes in the form of a treat then it would be a real pleasure. I would also love to give it as a gift to many people but I am not sure whether they will like it or not.

9. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think a lot of my family would like it except for maybe one or two of them, but I think it would be a fantastic gift, it would be nice to be able to just relax for a bit and take some time off.

10. manila

manilaNew Member

Threads:
    A massage at a day spa as a gift is a fantastic treat that I would love to receive and if I could aford it, I would give it as a gift to someone I love! Foot reflexology which is also very relaxing and makes the whole body feel good may be given to first timers.

My mom who has dementia and is diabetic loves being massaged by me. I give her simple foot massages and massages on arms and legs as my way of bonding with her. I notice she becomes more responsive and with good mood as a result. I use naturally derived massage oil on her. For me, this free gift of touch to someone I love is priceless.

11. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Before giving such a gift, it is important to make sure the recipient already likes massage and is comfortable with the place or person you are sending them. I personally have a very hard time being touched by someone I do not know and would not be able to just take a gift certificate to a spa and get a massage. Many people don't have a problem with that, but there are many who would be uncomfortable, so just make sure you know for sure how the person feels before you give something like that.

12. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely wonderful idea. There is no greater gift then one that gives you a moment to unwind. I think Mani-Pedi gifts are great too. Bargain's can be found for both and some come as part of a package. Like you said, Day Spa. Day Spa's are great, especially during the "off season" when it is slow. You get great discounts and there is hardly anyone there, so it is easier to relax.

13. DianeC

DianeCNew Member

Threads:
    I think a day at a spa would be an excellent gift if two people were going together. I'm thinking on the lines of manicures and pedicures and facials. Not necessarily in that order. LOL A girlfriend of mine received a day spa as a gift and put it off until it was almost expired because she was uncomfortable with the idea of taking her clothes off and having a complete stranger touching her. You would have thought she was being sent off to a prison camp from her attitude. Well, she came back a different person and said that was a mistake because now she wants to go again and again. The only problem was some one to share the experience with! I think there is alot of competition these days so there are many to choose from and more affordable prices than in the past so it can be more than just a massage.

14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's a fantastic gift idea. I personally would NEVER say no to a massage or any beauty/spa gift voucher, that's right up my street. I mean, who doesn't like being pampered?! But of course, you'd have to know that person well enough to know if it's their sort of thing. Like someone else said, if I were to give such a gift, I'd probably go along with that person as I think it's more fun that way. Then I'd also get them an additional gift on top :)

15. lemony

lemonyMember

Threads:
    Some people would be delighted to receive a massage session as a gift, but some would not. My friend was unsure about what to give me as a birthday gift, so she made a customized card with three options in it, one of them was a spa session (which I immediately chose). Then, she asked me about details I would be most comfortable with. We talked about the location, if I wanted a buffet and/or a one-night stay there, and the like. Basically, she made sure that the massage present she would give me would fit my preferences perfectly.

16. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21Member

Threads:
    It is quite relaxing and if done properly can enable you to feel life a new being. I feel so tense at times i have to ask friends to massage one or both of my shoulders just to lighten up a bit. These are the signal areas that speaks out mostly when the body is overwhelmed, relaxing is not a past time activity, it is a necessity if we are to be in tune with our well being.

17. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If people have never tried one, it's a luxury gift to receive. Some people don't like being touched, but for many people they can really help with the neck and back. These days it is more affordable and some places can swap the massage for something else. I had bought a spa day for me and a friend, except she couldn't have the massage as she was having chemo, so they gave her some other treatments. Most places will accommodate you and swap it for something of the same value.

18. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would love to receive a spa day or treatment as a gift. I like to treat myself to some type of spa service on my birthday. I attended a workshop at my place of worship on self care. Everyone was treated to a spa treatment. I had the most wonderful foot message. I felt it throughout my body. I felt good for many days. Unfortunately, no one in my circle likes getting spa treatments as much as I do. Touch can be very therapeutic, but a lot of people don't like being touched.

19. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Discussion is going really well. I would also love to have a spa day as a gift. . . .

20. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not someone who enjoys being touched by strangers. I find it awkward and invasive. In fact it is the furthest thing from being relaxing that I could think of, despite being given a gift such as that intending to relax me. My sister, on the other hand, is always pestering me about getting massages with her and I am always refusing to do it. She talks about how she wants to go by herself but can't afford it. So she is someone who I would most certainly gift a massage to. I think that you really have to know a person before you give them such a gift.