Matte Nails- A Trend Worth Investing In?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by forextraspecialstuff • Jul 2, 2014.

1. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    What does everyone think of matte nails? I know I am a little late to the party with this post, but I have seen quite a few nail bloggers adding a matte top coat to their glitter manicures and I love it. I didn't care for matte nails when they first came out, I didn't care for the nail polish formula and had a hard time keeping the matte finish because I apply a lot of hand cream. But over glitters I really like the look and think it gives a fresh look to glitter bomb manis.

2. Mochaisis

MochaisisNew Member

Threads:
    I like matte nails, especially when the matte polish is coupled with a really shiny polish in some sort of deisgn. On Sally Hansen's website, they also had a nice idea using the matte polish over studs placed on the nails which gave the nails a nice, bumped affect. I haven't actually tried the matte polish yet, as I'm a bit shy when it comes to trying new styles and wearing them to work, but I think matte polish is a great look when done the right way. I think over the holiday weekend, I'll try a matte red for Labor Day. I'll check back in to let you know how it looks.

3. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I think matte nails look very nice. I especially like them in the fall for some reason. Sally Beauty Supply has some really nice matte top coats by Orly and OPI. I prefer to use matte top coats than actual matte nail polishes. I like to take my bright polishes and give them a new look with a matte top coat.

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you. I think they have an almost cozy look to them that make them seem better suited for fall and winter. I saw a matte topcoat over a brown and it almost looked suede like.

5. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I really like matte top coats too. I have an OPI one that works well. I paint my nails often so a matte top coat is a nice way of switching things up. You can get new textures and colors from polishes you already own. Applying matte in patterns is an easy way to create nail art too.

6. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I like matte nails on other people. I think my technique is all wrong. With the shiny nail polishes, I just keep applying an additional coat until any mistakes are covered and the surface is smooth. I got a matte nail polish from Sally Hansen that has bumps in it. I loved the lilac color, but when I put it on, it looked like it was applied by a toddler! It clumped in spots. I think I'll stick to the shiny polish until I can afford to have someone apply the matte kind.