Mattress Topper Or New Mattress?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Theo • Aug 6, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These days mattress toppers (memory foam) are nearly as much as a new mattress, so are they worth it? I recently went to look for a new one and some have memory foam on the top, so it can work out cheaper to buy a new mattress with built in memory foam.

I have ended up buying a new mattress as it was cheaper than the topper ( I know strange) and the company did deliver free of charge and also took away the old one free as well. If you have to pay either for those, I can work out more, so it's always good to haggle for free delivery.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a nice gel topper right now hope to get a nice mattress when I start looking for one. I know they both are expenisve, the topper I have now is twin size and I paid about one hundred for it. The new mattress I get will be a queen size deep sides about 8 inches.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Theo, we once wanted to get a foam memory mattress topper but like you, we soon found out they were very expensive. Nearly as expensive as a new mattress. People around us were telling us how good they are, but we ended up deciding not to bother and saved up to get a memory foam mattress instead, which was well worth it :)

4. tasxx

tasxxMember

Threads:
    I'd probably end up buying a new mattress unless I can manage to find a mattress topper for cheap. Maybe if I could find a mattress topper in a thrift store or something then maybe I could justify using it but it all depends. Plus I tend to like my mattresses more firm than soft so I don't think they make firm mattress toppers.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Speaking of mattress, our housemaids complained of itchy skin last week. When I investigated, I saw that there were undefined insects, like bugs actually that was inhabiting the nook and corners of their mattresses. We had it cleaned and exposed to the sun for better measure. I hope the bugs wouldn't come back anymore. But on second thought, where did the bugs come from?

6. turtledove

turtledoveMember

Threads:
    I never buy mattress toppers. If I feel the need to improve my mattress, I either thoroughly clean it, or I just buy a new one. The mattress toppers are just so expensive, and I see them as temporary anyway. Paying so much for a temporary arrangement is just a silly idea for me, and I'd rather spend a little extra money and buy the full thing rather than get an expensive but pointless temporary solution. In the short term, it may not save me much, but in the long term it'll save me a lot of money.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I need a new mattress. I have both a mattress topper and a quilted cover right now. Neither of them were cheap, but it did beat the cost of a new mattress. One of these days I will invest in a new mattress though cuz I am sure sleeping on one that needs to be replaced is not great for your back.

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that it really depends on the overall condition of your mattress. If it is only getting a little worn, and you have the option of buying a relatively cheap mattress topper, then it might be worth it as you could get several more years out of it. However, if it is very bad then a brand new mattress would be like an investment into your own health, as it means that you would sleep a lot better and wake up more fresh in the morning, so you could face everything that the day had to throw at you. So it honestly depends on how much more life the mattress still has in it, really.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't understand where everyone is finding the expensive mattress toppers. I bought two twin mattress toppers on clearance at TJ Maxx for $7 each. Are we talking about the soft foam ones that go on top of your mattress? Because I only paid $7 at the end of the back to college season when stores are clearing out the dorm bedding.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There is actually a lawsuit against the memory foam mattress makers. They are getting sued because of false claims about how long the mattress material will continue to give off formaldehyde gasses and odors which can make people sick. Also, they're not very upfront about how memory foam mattresses aren't necessarily ideal for "active" couples, lol. The first time I slept on one at a hotel that was the first thing that crossed my mind, lol. Also, I get hot really easily, so I was sweating like crazy in that kind of bed.

I would just opt for a new mattress personally. Even if you add a mattress topper, it's not going to help if the bed itself is sunken in in certain spots. Even a cheaper mattress isn't really all that bad. I bought mine like 10 years ago, and it was the cheapest one the store sold, for like $300, and it's still serving me well.

11. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    There are two interesting articles on bed bugs topic that you may like to read to figure out where those bugs on your housemaids mattresses came from,

As for me, back on topic, When I was younger and still living with my parents I used to sleep on a velvet sofa bed that made me fall in love with these type of furniture for my subsequent bedrooms because I love to have loads of visual space, and most beds are bulky.

Actually I'm renting an already furnished apartment that include a bed with a regular mattress, but rather than thinking of buying a mattress topper, I'm considering to negotiate with my landlord a rent price reduction asking him to get the bed and mattress out to bring in its place a lovely sofa bed I'm planning to buy.

12. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mattress toppers are nice on old and new mattresses alike, but they can give you a little extra life out of that old mattress if you know where to find them cheap. I prefer putting a mattress topper on top of the mattress I sleep on, and some of them are pricy, but I'm willing to pay for the extra comfort. Sometimes it does make more sense to simply buy an entirely new mattress, though, especially if you can find one on sale.

13. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would rather invest in a very good mattress. I have bought nice toppers in the past, from

and been happy with them. I used them on my last mattress that was getting old, and I didn't want to replace it until I moved. I used them (it was a thick topper as well as a very thick padded mattress cover) together, then separately, on this mattress when it was new, then decided I didn't need them all, since it made the bed so tall.

14. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I'm in the market for a new mattress. How long do you keep your mattresses before you buy a new one? Ours is about 10 years old now and starting to sag. It was fairly expensive and higher end Serta mattress. We are considering a Temperpedic mattress. Has anyone bought one? I find buying a mattress a big investment. We have a king bed but getting a good night's sleep is so important that we are willing to spend a little more. My husband likes a firm mattress and I like it a little softer. Any suggestions?

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think both are good options but personally, if I had the money I'd just go for a very good mattress even if it were expensive because I think it's important to have good sleep. Although I'm not really that picky with the beds I sleep in so I'm not really all that much against just working with what I have if it's all I can afford for now. Mattress toppers are good too, but I myself don't find them all too comfortable.

16. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I personally will just stick with the eggshell foam mattress. It's not as expensive and easy care just hang it outside to freshen it up. It also extends the life of a mattress. The drawback was finding less expensive deep side fitted sheets so I buy flat sheets instead. I found these sheet holders at the dollar store which helps keep the sheets in place same as a fitted sheet. This works well for me savings wise.