Maximizing your savings

Discussion in Food & Drink started by professionaltightwad • Dec 11, 2014.

1. professionaltightwad

professionaltightwadMember

Threads:
    I've been using coupons for close to 30 years but I'm new to the world of savings apps on the cell phone. I'm determined to use them to the hilt, however, and I think this shopping trip was pretty darn successful with that!

I went to Shaw's and did two transactions last night.

Transaction #1:

4 POM drinks
    2 Sprite 1.25 li bottles
    Rold Gold pretzels

I used 4 x .50 c/o on the POMs, which doubled to make them free, and a $1.50 on your next order Catalina from a previous trip. This transaction cost $2.97 out of pocket.

Transaction #2:

4 POM drinks
    4 bags Wise chips
    1 Betty Crocker cake mix
    1 Betty Crocker frosting
    2 Fiora paper towel 8-pks
    2 Fiora toilet paper 12-pks
    plum tomatoes
    Cool Whip

I used 4 x .50 c/o on the POMs; 2 x .75/2 on the chips; 4 x .55/1 on all the Fiora; and .75/2 on the Betty Crocker items. This transaction cost $10.51 out of pocket.

After I got home, I then submitted the Sprite for a 1.00 iBotta rebate, the tomatoes for a .50 Checkout51 rebate, and the POM drinks for a SNAP rebate of .50 each ($4). Plus, each receipt went into ReceiptPal and ReceiptHog for points on both of those apps.

So I spent $13.48, but am getting back $5.50 through rebate apps, bringing the real cost for all 21 items to only $7.98! And that's how to maximize your grocery savings!

2. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    Nice savings. I will have to look up these apps! I don't really look at paper coupons in the mail but I do use my phone all the time. Thanks for the tip!

3. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I seriously need to get into doing these receipt and cash back apps. We have been trying to get into couponing but for some reason can't just remember to do the research. Then again it probably would be easier if you are just on your own and worrying about what you want.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have checked some of those apps that offer rebates, but I noticed that they're only available to people from the US. I wish those rebates apps would be popular too in my country in the future.