Mcdonald's New Buttermilk Chicken Sandwich - Thoughts?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by ohiotom76 • Aug 28, 2015.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yesterday my folks asked me to pick up some of the new Buttermilk Chicken sandwiches from McDonald's for them, so I grabbed one for myself as well to try it out. From what I've read thus far, they are phasing out their previous attempt at a Chic-Fil-A-esque sandwich, their Southern Fried Chicken Sandwich, in favor of this.

Admittedly, the only time I ever go to McD's any more these days, I always just order straight off the dollar menu, so I hadn't paid attention to how much their other sandwiches have been priced. At $4.68 for their new chicken sandwich, it seemed rather high, but I bought them anyway.

My overall impression - nothing special really. Aside from being more a "natural" shaped chicken patty, and larger than their previous fried chicken sandwiches, as a whole it really just tastes like pretty much every other fried chicken sandwich they've sold. I don't recall if it was a whole chicken breast or some processed chicken meat formed into a large chicken shaped piece or not, but either way, it still had that "processed" taste to it. The batter/breading on the chicken was similar to their nuggets, only a little darker.

I probably wouldn't order it again, personally. At nearly $5 the quality is just not that great. You could get two $1 regular fried chicken sandwiches off of their menu or other fast food places like Wendy's, and be just as full from it and save a few bucks.

Incidentally, while looking up some other reviews for the sandwich, I stumbled across a McD's hack apparently some people are using - ordering the $1 McDouble and having them add special sauce to it - it's basically a Big Mac for about $3 less, lol.

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most fast food chicken sandwiches are nothing special, not even the sandwiches from Chick-Fil-A as far as I'm concerned. At their best, even a McDonald's chicken sandwich can taste more than decent. Rarely will you find something that tastes better than what you can make at home, unless you visit a slightly more upscale fast food restaurant, like something that offers fast casual food. I'll eat McDonald's whenever it's close because I know what to expect, and I'm not expecting magic or anything.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Trying to eat more good food and less junk food I =stay away from MCD's. I have seen the commerical on tv about the new sandwich but it did nothing for me, I doubt I will ever try it. I do eat at Chick-Fil-A about once a month and that is usually a salad to avoid the bread and fat on the sandwich.

4. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    The best chicken sandwich in fast food is definitely the grilled chicken sandwich at Zaxbys. Its delicious! 2nd place would go to the Chic Fil A original. As far as the new McDonalds sandwich goes, I havent tried it but I'm sure I will eventually. Glad they are trying something different. The menu there is extremely stagnant.

5. AllAboutTheLincolns

AllAboutTheLincolnsMember

Threads:
    I have to agree with you on the Zaxby's grilled chicken sandwich. It's an addiction. They marinate the patty to perfection and then put it under the most buttery bun I have had in my entire life. Chick-fil-a does a decent job with their sandwiches, but the chick-n-strips are what I get if I'm ever around there.

As for McDonalds, they do a decent job with experimentation in the kitchen. I thought their Southern Style was pretty good, but it tasted nothing like what Chick-fil-a was doing. If they can make a chicken sandwich taste like McNuggets, then I'll be sold. Until that day comes, however, I'll just stick to those at 2:00 am when nothing else is open (but even then, you're second to Taco Bell and Cook Out for late night munchies)

6. AllAboutTheLincolns

Threads:
    Update: I've had the Buttermilk Chicken Sandwich... I can't say I'm too impressed. The meat tastes ok for what it is, but the breading is nothing more than McChicken-esque at best. They're trying to cut costs, it seems, by advertising old stock with worse product as a new item. The true shame is that I can never taste the old chicken sandwich again. Looks like I'm sticking to McNuggets from now on.

I will say, however, the pretzel bun is a nice touch. Other than that, stay away. 4/10.

7. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    That's a shame... I've had their crispy chicken bacon clubhouse (

) and that was absolutely amazing. It's kinda crazy to think that they're going from something so good, back to mediocre...

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, as soon as I saw your thread, Buttermilk Chicken Sandwich sounded devilishly delicious! I was feeling left out as we don't have a MacDonald in my neck of the woods. What a disappointment it must have been for you! It doesn't sound very good for MacDonalds. I usually stick with what I know; the quarter pounder with cheese meal. They better not be phasing that out LOL

9. AllAboutTheLincolns

Threads:
    The company has been losing sales recently, and the whole "we won't team up with Burger King for national peace day" slip-up didn't help their cause either. It's clear to me that they're trying too hard to appeal to the millennial ideal of food service. What they should be doing is rebranding to go for their target audience: the middle of America. Think about it: McDonalds is everywhere, and they appeal more to the person who doesn't have that much in their town than to a city with major competition. If they don't change their approach soon, I don't think we'll be seeing the golden arches that often anymore.

10. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    My husband had this yesterday and the first thing he said was "I don't know what part of the buttermilk this chicken has but oh well." Based on what he said (because I never took a bite of the chicken) I would guess that it's not very flavorful like you would expect when you hear the "buttermilk" part of the chicken sandwich?

I don't know if it's the batter they use that has buttermilk, or if it's the dressing for the buns that has buttermilk. Either way, we don't go to McDonald's enough to care to think twice about it :p

11. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Problem I'm usually finding at McDonalds is that additions to the menu sounds tasty, look tasty in the advertisement, but are deceiving and costly once you order, even if something from the traditional menu.

Add to this the insufferable kiddie ambiance of the restaurants, good if you are going with kids, but not so pleasant if you want to stop by to eat some and relax, so don't count me in to visit a Mac restaurant, and much less to order anything there.

12. Faye1232212

Faye1232212New Member

Threads:
    I feel like the new buttermilk sandwich tastes like all the other chicken sandwiches. In my opinion, everything on their menu choosing chicken tastes the same just as beef. The only thing I see that's different is maybe a sauce which can only do so much. When I bit into it I expected it to have a southern feel but was unpleasantly surprised. It tasted like everything else with a different sauce on it. After trying it for the first time, I don't think I'll ever buy it again. Pure waste of money.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Thanks for letting me know about it. Locally in Hawaii there are signs and they've got a meal deal for $7.99 for their Buttermilk Chicken sandwich. I've been wondering about it to try or not to try. I like Safeway's Chicken Tenders for the chicken is real white meat and you can shred it as you eat it. I don't like processed chicken. I like the real chicken to eat, so I won't get the Buttermilk Chicken sandwich locally from McDonalds. Thanks again!

14. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    It's cheap and affordable, I guess. I found it a tad bit too salty, though. Also, the serving was pretty small for my tastes, unfortunately.

15. AllAboutTheLincolns

Threads:
    That's way too much for the quality of the sandwich. $6.50 is about the most I'd pay for a combo platter with that sandwich involved. However, I am just one consumer out of many, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Tastes change from person to person, so don't let me be your be all end all review.

16. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried the Buttermilk chicken sandwich., I am happy that they have all day breakfast though. I think that is pretty nice. It is one of the many things that I can live without. I am glad they have all day breakfast though. It is one of the options that you can make sure you can try at McDonalds.