Meat in the soup

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Oct 1, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid my parents sometimes cooked soup with meat and it was delicious. Just recently I started making my soups with a piece of meat too and in fact it adds another flavor, not to mention that we get to eat the meat too. :D Anyone cooking soup like this?

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    We always do soup like this. Sometimes, we even add bones to add more flavor. I am surprised that this is not common practice where you come from.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, this is quite common where I'm from, too.

Ham and beans, for example, is a super cheap meal that gets an extra boost of flavor by cooking the ham bone directly into it (plus all the extra little bits come off into the soup).

4. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really eat much meat in soup as usually the soup already has meat in it. However, not too long ago I started thinking of having pieces of hamburger in orange tomato soup. I must admit it was a very nice idea of mine as it tastes delicious.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I never put meat in the soup. My one reason for it is that I don't eat meat. I put salmon, canned salmon or tuna instead. And yes it really adds another flavor. So I think that it would be also true for the meat being added in the soup.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Well pretty much any soup I eat has some sort of meat broth in it. I cannot seem to find any pre-made vegetable broths that I like, plus they all taste so different, you never know what you are going to get. Right now I have a jar of Better Than Bouillon vegetable soup base going to waste in my fridge because it tastes nasty - like burnt tomatoes or something. The closest one I ever kind of liked was Whole Foods own 365 brand, but I don't live near one anymore.

I like meat in soups, but it has to be slow cooked so it's super tender. I don't like it when someone for example grills up some chicken breasts and just dices them up and tosses them in a soup - they're still dry and tough, and the flavors haven't all mingled yet.

One interesting thing I discovered was that Goya brand "Ham" soup base is actually vegan. Interesting to know if you ever wanted to make a "pork" & beans or beans & greens type soup but needed to keep everything vegetarian/vegan.

7. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the type of soup I am making. Sometimes I make my split pea soup with a ham bone in it and other times I make it vegetarian. If you/the people you are cooking for are not vegetarians I think meat in soup is a great idea because it adds some extra flavor and it adds protein so the soup gives you a "fuller" feeling when you are finished eating.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    The last time I did this (and it was not chicken soup of course) I added two chicken legs and I didn't even had to add olive oil. It gives a better flavor and we can also eat the meat, what is great. I am sticking with this for now, I am loving it.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Yeah, we make a lot of beef broth soup here and they are even often offered in restaurants as a common free side dish. Although, for the free ones, they rarely include any meat or potatoes or vegetables and instead just offer the broth. I like beef with cabbage in beef broth myself, but we also have a few other varieties that I like such as meatballs with noodles, and one of my all time favorites is ground meat in egg drop soup.

10. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Isn't that basically just a stew on a small scale? Soup is without meat and stew with it. That's what I always assumed anyway. Funny you mention it though because I have had either for a very long time and I've just gotten back into them. I've certainly been missing something, and I shall have to try a few new combinations.

11. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Oh soup with meat is the best! Either meat or whole vegetables, for me to enjoy soup there need to be something for me to chew on, if it's meat it's probably the best scenario because it's much more filling and it tastes great.
    Whenever soup DOESN'T have something to bite on I find it extremely boring to eat.

12. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Not only do I eat meat in my soup, I have to have it in there. To me soup just isn't soup without it. The combination of vegetables and meat makes for a pretty good tasting soup. I can't eat chowder without the clam. Same goes for vegetable soup, I have to have meat in it. It's a flavor and texture thing with me.

13. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I don't put meat in soup unless it's in the recipe...like sausage or chicken. Even then I don't do it that often because I don't like the grease it can add. My mom used to put meat in soups when I was little though. She used ham hocks or other cheap pieces of meat to give it flavor. I prefer to add flavor with stocks and herbs, just because I prefer those more.

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    It depends on the meat you put there pennylane, I believe that if you put some beef or chicken it doesn't add too much grease. More, with the grease from the meat we don't need to add the olive oil, so I feel it's pretty balanced in that particular.

15. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Well, this is weird to read, where I'm from most soup contains meat - there are types without but who eats those :p In fact, just last night I made some chicken soup. You can buy 1 kilo of chicken parts for 1.5$, even cheaper in the States (I imagine), and that's plenty to cook 2 batches of soup, enough to last for a week. Add some carrots, onions, potatoes and other veggies plus spices and you're in for a good warm meal.

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Chicken is very cheap indeed, I am happy with that, but if I see the way they are produced I am not so happy...

Either cases, I feel that soup cooked with meat lasts less time than the soup without it, something in the meat that makes the soup go bad faster you have an idea?

17. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I don't usually cook like that.
    But when I was in Poland, I tried their soup and it had a ton of meat in there. It felt like ciment, and I liked it.
    Soups like these are usually a could weather country type of thing, right?

18. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    Yes! My parents do it all the time. They'll take leftover meat from a previous meal, such as pork, and throw it into a large pot of stew. They'll also add different vegetables, potatoes, and spices. The meat gives the stew a very nice flavor and makes the stew more filling.

19. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Soups with any kind of flavorful and nutritional meats, are the best type of soups. I rarely eat soups without some form of meat, the exceptions being Miso, tomato, and mixed vegetable soups. Even if a soup has a good level of broth, I rather have some form of meat to be added, because it gives a more natural taste and feel to what a soup is, in my opinion; it's just more wholesome with some type of meat.

20. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I've been putting chicken in the soup and it's delicious, but the next time I'll put some bone from cow, I feel that those bones are really good for the soup, I recall eating them as I was a kid and the meat has a different taste, really delicious.