Medical Offices And Customer Service

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Sunshine • Feb 15, 2015.

1. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not even sure where to post this, but I suppose it falls under customer service.

Yesterday I went for blood test. There was a man who was quite politely telling the receptionist he was scheduled for a battery of tests. The receptionist got very aggressive, telling him it was not noted in the computer. He insisted his doctor had ordered them. She continued quite arrogantly and rather aggressively telling him they were not there, and it was not a big deal sir, all he needed to do was call his doctor. She interacted with him like he was a problem person, causing an issue and confrontation, when it was completely her escalating the situation, by giving incomplete information to him and not just outright telling him what he needed to do.

Later I saw her walking in the hallway of the office, singing "we are here to be your slave, be your slave..." I was so taken aback and shocked, I still don't even know what to think.

If this was a business, I would easily complain. But since it is a medical office, I'm not sure if the same rules apply? If you're in a medical situation, does customer service not matter?

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can certainly complain to the clinic manager - most clinics have a form you can fill in for these purposes. It's true that many medical receptionists have no concept of customer care, but I suppose they aren;'t forced to. After all, you need to go to the doctor when you are sick, it's not like you can avoid it, so you have no choice but to go back. Doctors offices don't need to worry about customer retention in the same way that retail businesses have to.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would most definitely complain. They can get away with more like missbishi said, but I see no reason for them to get away with it without at least having a complaint on their record. That's ridiculous, but unfortunately, I've seen it too often.

What's worse is that they don't seem to realize that not only are they treating people badly, they are treating sick people badly. If I'm already not feeling well, I'm definitely less likely to put up with such garbage behavior.

Then again, I'm one of "those" people. The kind that speaks up. They hate that.

4. Heather Dawn

Heather DawnNew Member

Threads:
    I worked for a group of Internists in Florida for over 5 years. While I mainly resided in the back taking care of patients and assisting the Docs, I would fill in as Front Office Staff when needed. Our Office Manager drummed it into our heads that ours was the first face or voice a patient would hear when they came in or called - it was up to us to make sure that face was pleasant and helpful. No matter how wonderful a Doctor is if the staff is rude then the entire business is rude.

Personally, I would go directly to the Office Manager and let her know what happened both with the patient and then later when you overheard her. The last may not be a big deal, but she was in your presence and sang loud enough for you to hear - that is unacceptable on every level. While she is on the clock, she needs to uphold certain standards, decency and professionalism being among them.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree I would go to the Office Manager and inform her that this type of conduct is going on. She may not be aware that this happening. Also, the doctor can lose a patient whic would mean less income coming into the medical center which could cost someone their job. A medical center has to make a profit also to pay the rent, purchase new equipment plus the doctor must take classes to stay current in new technics.

6. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    I used to be a Medical Secretary and I was always courteous to everyone who came to my window and tried to be as helpful as I could. People like this lady should be reported to their manager on-site. That is not creating an environment of care. I have been to medical offices where the front desk workers act as if the patients are bothering them and interrupting their personal conversations with other employees. Or eating food at their desk when they are there to do their job instead they are treating it like their front porch and not a front desk of a medical office.

7. Happy247

Happy247Member

Threads:
    A couple of years ago my mom was going through a lot of changes with her body concerning her health. I took on the role as her provider and made sure she got to her many doctors visits. I was completely shocked at some of the behaviors of the doctors staff. How could they be so rude to these patients. It's bad enough that these people are coming to the office not feeling well then have to deal with the craziness in the office.

One particular time, I went in the office, as usual, with my mom. I had my 2 children with me. Right away I heard someone behind the window say, "Why she bringing all them kids in here." I tried to ignore her and we sat down. My son got out his little truck and began to roll it across his lap. The woman yelled from behind the window, "You and your kids got to get out of here!" lol That was it. I tried to stand up and my mom gently tapped my had so I yelled back, "If you want me out, come put me out!" lol She never came from behind that window but she still had lots to say to her coworkers. That was simply not acceptable.

8. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Wow! I would have totally complained to whoever was the head of staff there! Lucky for me, all of the medical places I go to usually have kind and well mannered staff. I have heard horror stories of staff being insanely rude to people though!
    My friend actually posted that on Facebook a while ago, and we were all horrified!!

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As none of us were there, it is hard to say because the patient may have been aggressive. If the information isn't there, then the doctor has to do it and the patient should have had a list with them as doctors do give a printed list.

She may have been having a bad day, if you have ever worked in customer service then you will know. As for reporting something someone said away from the desk, to be honest I think that is petty. Have you never muttered something under your breath in the heat of the moment or thought something? To get someone to lose their job or get a reprimand when it had nothing to do with you seems petty to me.

It had nothing to do with you, so why are you getting involved? If it happens to you fine, but I do think when you don't know the whole story, you should stay clear IMHO.