Memory Foam Mattress Vs Regular Innerspring Mattress?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by lolo • Feb 23, 2016.

1. lolo

loloMember

Threads:
    I have a good sleep but my wife always can't sleep well if I frequently change my position,so I'm looking for a new mattress but I was wondering if buying a

or

.I searched both of them from the site but both of them look good for health,are there any differences between the memory foam mattress and the innerspring mattress?

What kind of mattress will you choose or should I buy a innerspring mattress with memory foam topper to save some money? Hope experienced people give me some advice.Thanks all in advance.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember the spring mattress when I was young. Only the girls in the family have that and the boys slept on the woven mat called banig. When the spring mattress is worn out, the metal coils peek from the cloth that sometimes can hurt or injure. When we moved into this house in 2001, we bought new furniture including beds and what we have are the spring mattress with warranty. For our housemaid, we bought them the pure foam which is cheaper.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am glad I found this thread because I cannot believe all of the claims that memory foam mattresses make. I mean, this could just be all of the memory foam mattresses that I have encountered, but they are all really uncomfortable to sit on. They almost remind of of dough, and when you sit on they they take the mold of your frame, but not in a firm and supportive manner. It feels like you are sinking a bit at first. Regular mattress any day of the week.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never owned a mattress that promoted good sleep. I purchased the one I'm currently using after I moved in here. It hasn't been seven years, but several years back, it sort of collapsed on one side, and the springs bulged out that side. The place where I bought it is now defunct, so I'm stuck with it. I know which mattress I would buy if I had the money. I slept on that mattress during a trip out of town, and I swear, it was like being in Heaven. Here it is:

5. lolo

loloMember

Threads:
    Thanks for your replies. And I think memory foam mattress is more suitable for me,also I need a hypoallergenic waterproof mattress protector,such as this:

what do you think ?

6. Michael100

Michael100New Member

Threads:
    Hi Lolo,

the big difference between a foam memory mattress and a spring mattress is the level of support and the way you sink into it. When you sleep on memory foam mattress you sink in more, your body warms up and you won't turn so much in your bed (maybe this is the solution for you and your wife?)
    Think about spring mattress - it has those steel coils that provide great support for the body and maximum bouncing effect. It's good for people who suffer from severe back pain, but consider the bouncing effect (are you sure this is what you are looking for your family life?) The big advantage of the spring mattress is that it is more lasting than latex, and can be used from both sides.
    The Latex mattress, is made of, well, pure latex, and is known for its zero disturbance. But it is generally more pricey, and besides price has its own specifications (for example, it is heavier than spring mattress, if that issue matters).
    Anyway, it's up to you to decide - I would suggest to run a comparative research: each time compare only two types of mattresses, each has its pros and cons and you should consider your own goal (zero disturbance, right?). Also, above that, think of your personal sleeping habits - if you are a side-sleeper, for example, your mattress should be less firm than if you were a stomach sleeper. I am a stomach sleeper myself, at the time I found this website extremely useful

Hope that helps! Good luck!

#6Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2016
  7. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:

We purchased an air mattress (Sleep Number) which is like heaven to me. Yes it's a little spendy, but it is worth it. I like it because I can adjust my side of the mattress to be hard or soft. My husband can also adjust his side. I use to suffer with back pain all the time with our old mattress but now I can sleep very comfortably.

8. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Inner spring mattresses are fine. That's not to say I wouldn't have memory foam given the chance, but spring are more than ample, even for high quality beds. Certainly not a high priority luxury for me anyway.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Personally I much prefer a traditional spring mattress over a memory foam one. There have been a number of complaints about memory foam mattresses, that those who purchased them may not have anticipated initially. As others noted, they do make you rather hot when you're sleeping since you sink into them somewhat. I've also read complaints that new memory foam mattresses gave off foul odors for a much longer time frame than expected. Some sales people will also point out that memory foam beds aren't particularly practical for "active couples", if you know what I mean, lol. I've only slept on them a couple times, when a few hotels I was at had them, and that was the first thing that popped into my head, lol.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I need a new mattress, but it is going to have to wait for awhile. I have used memory foam pillows and they are really nice. I really think anyhting that promotes a good nights sleep is the one to use. Someday I would like to have a fancy or cushioning mattress but it is not in the cards right now. Maybe if I can sell the house I will look into a good one.

11. Eddie Par

Eddie ParNew Member

Threads:
    I have slept on a memory foam one and for me it's not the best choice. It feels like I just sink in and makes the night very uncomfortable. Maybe if I was a back sleeper it would be different. I would caution anyone that is thinking about getting purely memory foam construction mattress.

12. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    I am using inner spring matters that is so comfortable. And i would also like to suggest you.