Microchip your pet?

Discussion in Pets started by mariee • Oct 5, 2014.

1. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Is your pet microchipped or have you considered doing it? Do you think it's worth doing it if the pet is indoors only? There's going to be an event next week where they will be offering to microchip pets for $25 dollars and I'm starting to consider if it's worth it or not. I don't have a lot to spend but at the same time it would be really useful in case one of my cats gets lost. Some of my cats will be traveling with me so those probably could use the chip more than the ones staying home. My only concern is that microchipping is still not standard practice and maybe it's worthless because if one of my cats got lost nobody would bother scanning them.

2. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely. I have all mine microchipped and they are all indoors only. It is and it isn't standard practice. Good shelters do it as a matter of course - unfortunately all shelters are not good. My old vet microchipped all animals that came in because in their words "people lie." I don't think $25 is a lot to spend for the lifetime of a cat but I know it isn't in everyone's budget. Also there are now gps trackers you can attach to a collar, but they are more than $25.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here no, because our pets are indoor or yard pets, and we have gates over here, so they really wouldn't be lost unless they were let out. And my cat only gets missing for a maximum of 4 hours occasionally when I let him out, so microchipping is not really in my plans right now. But in your case it is advisable since they might get lost, and you have to take advantage of the discount, since I read that it usually costs $50 to microchip your pet.

4. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    the shelter that I got my cat from included micro chipping in the adoption fee. I don't know how well it actually works, or since we have moved states since then if the micro ship is even valid. I don't see a lot of shelters scanning pets here, and I have heard stories where dogs where micro chipped and they were adopted out to some else because the shelter never bothered looking and the dog had been there a while. the people I heard the story from didn't know there dog was gone for so long because they had left on vacation and there dog sitter was horrible I guess.

5. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I adopted my pets and they came with it. I like the peace of mind it gives even though mine all stay indoors. I would definitely pay $25 to get it done. I've never lost any of mine but if I did I'd feel so much better knowing that they could be identified that way.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm still a bit skeptical about the whole thing or more accurately I might just be feeling squeamish about it since there will be artificial elements going into the pet's body but I think the payoff is worth it. I think many people do scan pets when they find one or probably at least the professional catchers would. Also, I'm not sure but I think it also means you get to track your own pet so other people wouldn't even need to scan them, you could just find your pet on your own, and I think that's pretty useful.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always have indoor cats, but even they can get loose and lost. It happened to us and we were so thankful for going ahead with microchipping anyway. Until we found the data was completely missing because of some sort of malfunction (all microchipped animals were lost from their database, not just ours) and they hadn't told any of us. She was lost forever; so sad. There is also the issue of travel.. the chip, not your pet. They don't always stay in place.. they can travel through your pets body and become uncomfortable for them. I personally don't want to do something so invasive to a pet again. Not for a "just in case" that may never happen (she was the only pet I've ever had that got lost). I'd rather keep a close eye on them around open doors etc or get them a tag to wear.

8. LadyMiles

LadyMilesMember

Threads:
    I have definitely thought about micro-chipping my pup as I couldn't imagine her getting out and me not being able to find her. I have done some research on the procedure and it doesn't seem like a very painful procedure for a dog, well except if the dog is little. QueenB is only 13lbs so I wonder if is would be painful for her. She is a miniature Dachshund mixed with Maltese and Yorkie. Does anyone else have a small dog that has been micro-chipped? If so, was it a painful procedure for the dog? I understand the benefit in the long run but hate seeing my baby in pain as I just recently lost my best friend of almost 10 years due to congestive heart failure and towards the end he suffered so much. Any thoughts?

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have heard about microchipping the pets but never thought it is quite popular anywhere. Also it is not a very standard practice and I am not exactly sure that people love to microchip their pets as it is highly costly. I also think it has a very bad effect on ones health.

10. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    In my country, it's really not worth it. There are no animal shelters here. So, no one will be taking a lost animal to a shelter. I see that some vets offer to microchip here, which I think is really odd. I hardly doubt that anyone will take a lost animal to a vet's office either to get scanned. Most people here do not know about animal microchipping. I can see where it could be of benefit to some people in other countries.

11. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    I had my dog micro chipped. It was very helpful because he got out of the yard so many times and it was the best way to find him if the vet had him or the pound picked him up. The only problem is if he's stolen it won't get scanned. I believe my dog was stolen by someone who sold him on craigslist and the people who bought him didn't bother to check for a microchip until he ran away from them. That's how we found out he was two hours away from us. Needless to say we were unable to go up and retrieve him. I just hope he is happy in his new home.

12. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Isn't that funny, I see it almost as standard practice now. Any animal you get from the local animal shelter here will be microchipped. Most breeders also microchip their pets. Pet stores I am not sure on. What kind of effect on health do you think it has? There is a small risk of the chip migrating which is why you scan the animal all over. There is a VERY small chance of something going wrong when the chip is inserted, and I do mean small, like 1%. But 1 out of 4 pets get lost in their lifetime so to me it is a no brainer. Of course tags and a collar are also very useful but collars come off and if someone steals the pet they will remove the collar. Harder to remove a microchip.

13. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    In the Philippines, this is a very expensive process, so most people do not get their pets microchipped. I haven't really considered this because I have three cats, so the expenses would be so great.

14. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I actually hate the idea of microhipping my pet. I like the idea of being able to find them in the event they are lost or stolen -- and even though manufacturers say these items are safe -- I'm not sure that I trust the health of my family pet to technology like that. Just like with any other implanted object - in animals or humans there is a risk that your body might reject it. If they made a wearable version of this product I may be inclined to reconsider.

15. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    The problem with it being wearable is that anyone who tries to steal your pet will just take it off. The reason the microchip works is because it is foolproof and reduces the chances of your pet being stolen and increases the chances of it being found. Though it made no difference in my experience because my dog was never scanned until his new family lost him. By that time he was three hours away from where were. Still...it's helpful and spares them from being euthanized if they get lost and picked up by the pound.

16. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    ohhhh HECK NO! There is no way on this Earth my dog would not be home with me. I would have insisted the seller was prosecuted for theft. Those people are in possession of stolen property. I'd steal him back. I wouldn't have had to worry about that with my dog. She would have bitten anyone who came near.

17. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    Girl! I stole him back TWICE before the bitch sold him on Craigslist. He was already gone for three months before the pound three hours away from us called us to come pick him up. I was livid and we really wanted to get him back, but we had no money to bail him out and no gas. I'm just glad he's got a home and not roaming the streets or dead. I still miss him though.

And the only reason I think he was sold on Craigslist is because there's just no other way he would've ended up three hours away from us on his own. So I'm pretty sure someone picked him up and sold him.

#17Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014