Microchipping your pets

Discussion in Pets started by saizo6 • Jan 13, 2014.

1. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I have heard about putting a microchip in your cat or dog but never really thought about it until recently. One of my chihuahuas has this habit of wandering off sometimes and things can get really stressful with me worrying. She has her dog tags but I wonder if that is enough. So, I was wondering if anyone here has put one of those microchips on their pets and if they've used it, what was their experience with it. Is it worth the money?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I won't do it. I've rescued a few pets that already had them and they were a pain. They tend to travel. Meaning, through the animal's body. They can stay put obviously, but it's quite common to have to search for them and god knows what damage that could do long term. At one point, we had lost a pet and were told the files were all lost,.. or something. They had a system crash and everything beyond a certain year was all gone? Something like that. And we had no phone calls about this, nothing. We found our cat on our own, but they were absolutely no help. I wouldn't waste my money on it, but it might be a worthwhile investment if you have an outdoor cat.

3. Heatherie

HeatherieNew Member

Threads:
    All of my pets have been microchipped and for good reason. They are like my family and if for some they got out of my house and were lost, I would want whomever found them to be able to locate us. I have indoor only cats, so they do not wear a collar with tags - a microchip is an absolute must have for us.

The cost itself is nominal compared to the alternative. Considering it could mean the difference between getting your baby back or not, microchip!