Microplastic In Your Toothpaste & Facial Scrub

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by DrRipley • Oct 25, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    413dd20ae3747cac4ae5974e840afb0652e24764.

I'm posting this here to serve as a public service announcement to all our discount shoppers here in this forum. I highly advise you all to stay away from products, particularly toothpastes, that contain the little specs of sparkle that make it look pretty. Apparently those are made of plastic and serve no purpose whatsoever and may even be damaging your dental health by being lodged and collecting in your gum crevices. Crest seems to be one of the more popular brands that do this. Not only that but they are harmful to the environment as well since it builds up in the bodies of water. It's also found in facial scrubs, but it's at least not being ingested and is probably less harmful that way, as far as I know, but if you want to help keep the environment clean then I recommend staying away from those scrubs with exfoliating particles altogether.

What are your thoughts on this? Read this article or look up some more others if y want further information.

I find it ludicrous that they are even waiting for 2017 to discontinue it.

#1Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  2. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I heard about this and how it gets stuck in our gums. That is so frightening. I am going to call these companies and demand a refund! I hope that a class action lawsuit gets kicked up along the way. These companies are in it for money and don't care who they harm along the way. Disgusting!

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    That is so nasty! Pieces of plastic getting stuck in your body... I am so glad I switched to a more natural toothpaste some time ago. I also quit using a facial cleanser with microbeads after I heard it was damaging to the environment.

4. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    This is pretty terrifying. Are these particles shown on the package's formulation ingredients by law? Consumers definitely must be informed appropriately so that they can choose to avoid formulations that contain these microplastic bits.

Are we safe as long as the products we use do not have such sparkles? I guess I should fork out more for brands which do not use these microplastics, for the sake of my health...