Microsoft Surface Tablet

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by razelia • Jun 21, 2012.

1. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    To those who haven't heard of it yet, the "Surface" is Microsoft's newly announced tablet. It's basically like an iPad running on Windows 8. It can run Office programs, play games, movies, surf the net, etc.

I would get this more than an iPad for reasons. Just saying.

2dce3c1.

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I read about this a couple of days ago and it has completely stopped any plans for the laptop purchase dead in its tracks. I have jumped from what I truly wanted in the Samsung Series 9 to potentially a Vizio laptop to now this. I will just wait for all the details to come out about the Surface and then make up my mind. Who knows, maybe it will cause a drop in price of the Samsung, which I would like to see.

3. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    I like the fact that the Pro version of Surface would be able to run full fledged Windows applications. This is one thing that is clearly missing from the current breed of tablets, even iPads. Mircrosoft has clearly designed this tablet for heavy duty use unlike other tablets which are used for light work and entertainment. I think the keyboard makes this tablet very powerful as it can bridge the gap between a laptop and a tablet.

4. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Yep. It looks like Microsoft is quietly trying to corner the new market of Windows 8 with a tablet that could compete with most of the manufacturers that use Windows as their OS on their machines. From what I understand that is one of the reasons why they never got into the hardware aspect to avoid competition, but they are coming through the side door with it. Very smart.

5. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I'm really routing for Microsoft because the world needs a good tablet. The fact that it runs Windows 8 is a huge plus. I like the rubberized keyboard, I thought that was a nice touch. This could be the best tablet that I've seen so far. The best part is that I'm already familiar with the Microsoft OS, it really won't be that much of a change for me. I was going to get the LG G-Slate, but I'll wait to buy the Microsoft tablet.

6. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I think this has caused a lot of people to stop and wait. I mean if Windows 8 can't run efficiently on the Surface, then it can't run on anything.

7. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Microsoft had some technical difficulties when they released the Surface. I saw a tech demo and the guy had to get another one because it froze. That's not a good look in a public presentation, but I hope they work out the bugs before it's released. It's the thinnest tablet I've seen, and I'm anxious to see if it can run Windows 8 without lag.

8. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Hee! I'm sure there will be some bugs, but I think there will be more good than bad. There were bugs with the iStuff too. This probably won't be released until about October or November, so that will be plenty of time to fix IE and how it runs on the Surface.

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Microsoft has me changing my opinion about tablets. It address all my concerns about using tablets for business. It has a keyboard, USB port, and it's so thin that it would easily fit in my purse. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I can wait until Microsoft releases it. ;)

10. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    This is why when I see people get so up in arms about the new "gimmick" or "waste of money," I just want to tell them to slow down. This is what it is now, but give it a few iterations or let another company do it, their version may be genius and absolute perfection. Microsoft didn't chomp at the bit, it looks like they have come up with something really solid and like you, I can't wait to see it.

11. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely. This was actually the issue that made me not buy an iPad. I needed something heavy-duty - something that could take all the programs I run in my own PC/laptop and still be able to do them in a compact, tablet form.

Totally looking forward to this.

12. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Well if nothing else it looks like Microsoft has tapped into a waiting market - good on them, but I'm not a tablet person and I am not especially fond of the Windows 8 OS.