Microwave Potato Chip Maker

Discussion in Product Reviews started by PubD • Nov 7, 2012.

1. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    I recently picked up one of these microwave potato chip (or crisps, if you're from the UK) maker. It came with two microwavable 'plates' and a mandolin to slice thin potatoes.

I was a little skeptical, but I thought it might be fun.

I have to say that the chips were awesome. I didn't even need to add salt or oil. The only complaint was that I couldn't make them fast enough. even with two plates, it took quite a while to get enough chips to fill a bowl for family movie time.

On the plus side, these have got to be TONS healthier than the oil and salt laden things you can pick up at the store.

I didn't mention a brand, simply because I've seen a number of different products, and I believe they would all work equally well. There's nothing special about the mandolin or the plate. Anything that is anti-stick that has some ventilation for the drying chips would work fine. It's the microwave that does all the work.

2. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I'm surprised I haven't heard of this or seen it in the stores. I'm going to need to pay a little more attention. It sounds great. Anything healthier is always good, but I think my kids would love it. Sounds like it would be nice to try with them.

3. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Wow that sounds like a really interesting product. I haven't heard of this before. I would be interested, or my boys would like the idea better, potato chips without mom getting annoyed. :)
    Please do let me know the brand and where it can be bought. Often times it is better to go with a brand that works. I will remember to check Amazon.com

4. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't seen these yet but will definately need to check into them. There is just the two of us now and we only have chips once in awhile so I think this machine would work out perfect for us. I also like the idea of the chips being much healthier than store bought bag chips. I am thinking that you might even be able to make chips with other types of veggies, like carrots and zuchini. Thanks for the share!

5. mnicole

mnicoleMember

Threads:
    i have never heard of a potato chip maker sounds interesting. How much did it cost? if you don't mind me asking. I live with three kids who would love to make there own potato chips at home, it sounds like its more healthier to.

6. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    I have made potato chips in the microwave and the oven. You don't need a special dish for it, but it might make it more convenient. If you google microwave or homemade potato chips you can get more than a few recipes. I think I got my first one on recipe.com. Not only are they healthier, they're better tasting than most fried potato chips

7. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I love potatoes and when it comes to chips I definitely can not eat just one. I've been buying a brand of chips from Whole Foods that are way lighter and with less oil and salt than the popular brands that are really good. They are also not expensive, so I don't see myself making my own any time soon, since potato chips aren't something you should eat that much of anyway. I also don't think making them in the microwave is all that good for you.

8. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    The one I bought was an Okra. I've since seen others that were cheaper, but I paid $25 at a local store. I have been using it A LOT. The chips are guilt free and small white potatoes (which make really nice chips) are so cheap. I'm sure I've already more than recovered the price compared to store-bought. Probably saved my arteries too. :)

This is the exact one I got

And there are a number of different styles listed at Amazon

9. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    My friend suggested that I get one of these from Pampered Chef. I cam really fussy when it comes to the microwave and don't use it much. I heat all of my stuff up in the oven or on the stove because the microwave tends to zap all of the good ingredients out of food. However, now that it is brought up again, I may just put it on my Christmas list this year. It has to be better than the store boughten chips since most of those are fried.

10. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    This is very interesting. You have my creative juices flowing about making chips in the microwave. I already have something that I can use to slice potatoes (and other vegetables) thinly...I'm thinking that I can make my own chips without having to buy one of these machines. Or perhaps what I could do is: go to a store and look at one, read the directions and then do what the directions say, but do all this with things that I already own.

I must admit, I eat a lot of chips, and I have a teenage son, so that doesn't help matters any. He is always in the mood for some kind of snack, although he tends to want to eat healthy stuff a good bit of the time.

This chip maker sounds like a good idea, and I would really like to taste the finished product. Perhaps instead of being cheap...err, frugal, I'll go ahead and buy one of these makers.

11. MellowGuy

MellowGuyMember

Threads:
    This thread has gotten me very excited. I would not have thought I could microwave chips and now even more ideas are popping up. I love trying to learn how to make popular foods and snacks at home and usually ends up tasting better. I've tried frying up my own chips but was never very successful. Now I really want to try this product. I'm checking Amazon and other retailers as I write this and it seems the average price is about $20.

12. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    For an experiment last night, I did try making chips on a ceramic dinner plate in the microwave, and although the chips dried nice and crispy, they dried ONTO the plate. Stuck like cement. If you had a silicone plate, that might work, or one of those ridged bacon cookers for the microwave to reduce the amount of plate the potatoes could stick to.

For those who are giving it a try, I've found it works best if you put them in for about 40 seconds at first, then open the door and let all the steam out of the microwave, then let them go for at least another 4 minutes after that, but keep an eye on them because some microwaves are much more powerful than mine.

The thinner the chips, the nicer they crisp up, so cut them as paper thin as possible.

13. RhysBaby

RhysBabyNew Member

Threads:
    Great review, this sounds like loads of fun! I might pick one up before Christmas so I can have a 'play' with it.

Thanks,
    Rhys

14. thousandtrees

thousandtreesNew Member

Threads:
    I'm fascinated by the fact that this exists. How much did you pay for it? How many chips do you get out of an average-sized potato? Do you think it's more cost effective than buying a bag of chips, or does the time-cost bring it down to scale for you? I love the idea of healthier chips, and I've often made pita or tortilla chips in the past, but they go stale really quickly so you have to eat them all at once (I know, first world problems).

15. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    It cost me about $25. For a snack for myself, I usually slice two small potatoes... it's more than I would eat than if I was eating store bought, because I don't feel so guilty about grease and sodium.

I can get a 5 lb bag of the small white potatoes for less than a buck at the local market, so those are all I've used so far. It does take time, but I generally make them when I 'm busy in the kitchen with other stuff -- do the slicing while I wait for coffee to brew or water to boil, microwave while I wipe down counters or do the dishes or something -- so it doesn't seem like I'm wasting too much time.

16. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Has anyone thought about making potato chips in a regular oven? Baked chips have to come from somewhere, right? Even if you just did a few at a time on a cookie sheet or glass baking dish in the toaster oven, wouldn't that be better than making them in the microwave?

17. edvisual

edvisualBanned

Threads:
    I buy from QVC often, but this is my first review. I tried these yesterday and they were a HUGE success! So easy, so simple, yet so very delicious. I am ordering more for family members. No more greasy chips in this house!

18. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    They are awesome, aren't they? I never knew you could have good-tasting chips without salt before I tried this. In fact, I had the salt shaker out when I made my first batch, but put it away as soon as I sampled them.

19. LovelyLanie

LovelyLanieMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't think that the potatoes would crisp up at all but instead turn into mush. From the sound of the comments there is very little difference from store bought except that they are not fried in oil and saturated with salty additives. This sounds like the next best thing since sliced bread. Add me to the list of believers.

20. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I have not heard of this until now after reading your post. Just last night my daughter was talking about how she wish there were a way to make chips at home like the do with popcorn. It is good to know there are products out there. Where did you buy yours from and was it a reasonable price. I would really like to try it out!