Microwave Your Way To Savings!

Discussion in Food & Drink started by BrandonScooterman • Jun 13, 2015.

1. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Proper microwave usage can go along way! Microwaves are the safest, healthiest and quickest way to cook.
    First the power function is your friend! Most people only cook at the default 100% power. This is like cooking with an oven only at 500. Many microwaves use a 10 point power system, 1 being 10% and 10 being 100%.
    I do a lot of bulk cooking, then just heat it up in the microwave all week long. This can literally save you THOUSANDS of $$$.
    I have a handful of other little tricks I have developed over the years too. Wax paper for heating up pizza is my favorite.
    What does the community think, please share your microwave tips!

2. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    I also like to cook in bulk, we work nights so on our days off we cook a big meal, eat a portion that day then freeze the rest for use when we are at work. It is much better than eating junk food that is not only bad for you, it is expensive too!

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You make a great point about the power controls. The majority of people think a microwave runs at either full blast or defrost but using a setting inbetween the two, as well as turning the food during cooking can improve your results so much.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I was elated when I realized you could cook pasta in the microwave - that was a pretty big game changer for me as I would sometimes hesitate to make it when I was craving it but didn't want to wait around for a pot of water to come to a boil. Instead, I can cook most pastas in the microwave in the time it takes for the water itself to boil, sometimes even less.

Dollar Tree has been selling the Stone Wave pots for the microwave for only $1. They were an infomercial product from not too long ago, which normally sold for like $10 a piece. They're great for cooking in the microwave since they don't leak out toxic chemicals like some plastics do when heated, and they don't stain or melt like plastic either.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When the microwave was new, I was salivating on it but unfortunately we had no budget. And when we finally was able to acquire our own microwave oven, I was ecstatic. We normally cook 2 cups of rice for meals. But now we cook 4 cups of rice that would take care of lunch and dinner. With the microwave, reheating food becomes freshly cooked.

6. bart

bartNew Member

Threads:
    An easy way to save money with the microwave is to use the correct time to prepare a product. Some times the package instructions is not matching your microwave settings. By guessing a new time may result in a longer time then needed. An app like the "microlator" converts the time into the right cooking time for your wattage.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never been a huge fan of microwave cooking, although I've heard that you can rustle up some really nice stuff that way. I remember that there used to be all these rumours that microwave food can cause harmful UV rays that could lead to cancer or something like that. I never really looked into those. But also, I find some food becomes rubbery in the microwave. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I use mine mainly for re-heating or defrosting.

8. Caly

CalyNew Member

Threads:
    I have a great brioche recipe in the microwave, it's delicious and can be performed in few minutes. Try it, you'll save time and money.

Ingredients:
    4 eggs, 60 grams of sugar, 80 grams of flour, 80 grams of milk
    80 grams of melted butter, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Preparation of the bun in the microwave:
    In a bowl, mix eggs with sugar
    Add remaining ingredients and mix in order to progressively
    You will get your brioche dough for microwave
    Pour into a siphon (I helped myself a funnel)
    Putting a gas cartridge, shake well
    Put the mixture about 1/4 of the height of a mug and cook in the microwave 1min30 (micron wave 700 watts for me)
    Cook each mug three minutes in the microwave

I hope you will enjoy

9. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I've been using a microwave ever since they were first introduced - so yes I would definitely agree that there are many benefits to using one for the majority of your cooking - as not only do they save money and make meals easier and quicker to prepare - with less washing up - but more importantly - as this method of cooking retains more of the nutrients in food - its a much healthier way of cooking too.

In fact - my microwave is one appliance that I would never want to be with without - as although originally bought as a means of re-heating - as I do a lot of bulk cooking - I now use it for anything from full meals to making hot drinks and always for cooking vegetables and fruits - as the color, flavor and texture is so much better when cooked this way.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Before I got an electric kettle, I used to try and always boil my water in the microwave if I needed it and then just pour the water into the pan instead of boiling it directly from there. My reasoning behind it was that gas was much more expensive and microwaving water was way quicker than waiting for it to boil on a stove top. These days I just use an electric kettle since that's even more convenient but I agree that microwaves are great for saving some time and money if they are used correctly.

11. turtledove

turtledoveMember

Threads:
    Yes! I love to bulk cook and then reheat things in my microwave during the week. It means that you don't have to cook new meals each day, and you completely avoid wasting food altogether. There are even some meals which you can cook fully in the microwave. They're really easy and convenient when you get home late. Microwave cooking is definitely very useful, and it's a really easy way to save a lot of money.

12. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I love using the microwave to reheat leftovers. It's so quick and easy. I also use my microwave to heat up canned soup, pasta etc. I find it makes a quick and easy lunch for the kids, less dishes and no pots to clean. Think about it, you save on water costs too. Microwaves are great for snacks like making nachos, popcorn, hot dogs and pizza.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We do not have a microwave oven, but we have a gas stove and an oven toaster and a rice cooker. My dad says the oven toaster is better than the microwave, so he has no desire to buy one.