Milk: Store Or Name brand?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by hayrake • Jan 7, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Even the store brands of milk have gotten to be quite expensive these days. I've always bought the store brands except for rare occasions when I was somewhere that only a name brand was available. I never saw any real difference in the milk, though, when that happened. Well, except for the price. It makes me wonder how name brands continue to do well. Who buys them?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Generic brands are so much cheaper I think the named brands only survive with other products in the range like butter or variants like half and half or semi skimmed milk. They will continue, but maybe merge companies, as that is what tends to happen to cut out the competition and still survive.

3. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Conservative people who grew up drinking just one kind of milk and who play favorites ever since, I guess. The only major difference is milk is the way it's pasteurized -- in Europe, milk is often served either cooled, the same way as in America, or on the shelf. The shelf milk has a distinct taste. No such thing between brand names, though, that I ever saw!

4. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, milk is one of the VERY few things I buy organic. I have read some disturbing things about what kinds of growth hormones are found in organic as opposed to non-organic milk, and am scared to serve non-organic milk to my kids. If I were choosing between normal name brand milk and store brand, though, there wold be no choice- I'd go for the store brand all the way! There's no difference but the label.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy name brands, most definitely. Buying milk directly from stores is not part of our shopping culture here. The people in my country always buy branded milk. There's not a single store in the vicinity that sells homemade or generic milk. Everything's locally manufactured or imported from foreign countries.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a preference when it comes to milk brand, so I would say either store or name brand are OK as long as it tastes fresh! I actually like Great Value mill, form Walmart so I can say I'm not picky when it comes to milk!!!

7. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    We barely buy milk in our house to be honest. If we do then we spring for some almond milk and recently I've been interested in making my own hemp milk. There are better options out there and quite frankly I would like to rid myself of anymore additional hormones.

8. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    There is probably only a small difference between name brand and store brand milk, similar to the two types of brands available for many other products. People buy name brand milk most likely due to brand loyalty or trustworthiness, as they may have grown up on the taste of a specific brand. Further, most people feel like name brands are more trustworthy as they have a reputation to uphold. Whether this is true or not is up for debate, as store brand milk still needs to meet the same safety regulations. Store brand products are generally more competitively priced, and are thus targeted towards those who may not earn a considerable income, or those who want to save money.

9. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    I'm not sure if there's a lot of difference between both.

I normally go for whatever brand has offers, as I buy bundles of milk, and if I know the brand I'm buying, then even better.

10. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    There's not that much difference except pricing between store brand and well-known brands of milk. It's the quality of milk taken from cows that eat good grass, processed using the least amount of preservatives, and rich in "good" fats that makes the big difference. Most milk at most stores are not high-quality milk, and have been pasteurized thus are not filled with nutrients as unpasteurized - not that unpasteurized itself is better, because the pasteurizing is done to destroy any bad foreign things in the milk than it is to deplete the nutrients inside of it. However, since I don't drink or use much milk, whatever I can get is what I will buy.

11. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I usually buy the store brand and I do not believe if there can be any other way of having the milk. I believe store brand does everything that needs to be done. I am sure I totally prefer the store brand.

12. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Makes absolutely no difference to me. Milk is milk. As long as it's ice cold and fresh then I'm happy.

13. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy milk all the time, but when I do I usually get a name brand rather than the store brand because of personal experience being that the store brand does not last as long after opening as the name brand. I do not know why that is the case, but I was buying Safeway milk for a while trying to save money, but just ended up losing money because I could not finish it before it started tasting off. I don't know if they just don't sell fast enough or if they take too long in transit, or aren't sufficiently refrigerated, but it is very frustrating.

14. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I am not picky when it comes to milk. I usually buy skimmed and lactose-free milk and I particulary like this store-brand milk which is just right for my taste. I have tried a lot of name brand milk and they are nothing compared to this one store brand milk. The price is way too low compared to the name brand milk. It is like I am getting more for less.

15. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I certainly can't tell a difference in taste at all. I buy whatever is on sale or the cheapest. It's so expensive and I don't buy it very often in the first place, but I'm not a brand snob on mil because it all tastes the same to me anyway.