Misleading Pictures?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Oct 5, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Buying clothes online can be costly for the buyer because though they might get the clothes they've bought if once they are tried they don't look good on them, they might never be worn. And the one thing that will usually get someone to buy clothes are the misleading images that might give you an impression that the clothes will look great on you.

If you regularly buy clothes online, have you ever wasted money buying something you decided never to wear? Because the images were misleading?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know what you mean, @Denis Hard@Denis Hard. But what I've always done, well in most cases; is go on the high street and see if I like those items I intend to buy online. Sometimes it's not even because an online retailer wants to mislead us, it may be because some things just look different on camera. So if it's something that's cheaper online, and I'm hell bent on getting it online, I go on the high street, look at it and maybe even try it on and then buy it online. Of course, I can't always do this, sometimes I just have to take a leap of faith, but luckily I've yet to have a nasty shock :)

3. Vicenta

VicentaMember

Threads:
    I had this issue with a site that a friend referred me to. There was this really cute womens skull t shirt It was exactly the type of shirts I like wearing so I ordered a med and one week later I got it. But to my surprise the shirt was a lot smaller than it should have been in the pictures a med seemed to be the perfect size where it isn't too small or too big I like to wear meds for comfort. Well, I guess their med was different because it was barely a shirt it was very thin and very short fit me like a belly shirt so I never wore it and couldn't get my money back so it got tossed. I only spent 15 on the shirt and shipping but still I could of flushed that 15 bucks and t wouldn't have been any different.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Okay, I used to be a fashion stylist and the clothes that are pictured for the catalogs and in the magazines are all pinned and adjusted. What you see isn't how it will look at all. One thing you can't tell is the quality of the fabric and that's important, but as for the fit and cut, they rarely look how they do in the photos!

5. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    And in some shops they pin the clothes that a mannequin is wearing, too. It always amuses me when I walk around the back of a mannequin and see the clothespins holding everything in place :D

I don’t shop online too frequently, so I’ve only bought one item online that I found to be unwearable. In my case it was more a fabric quality issue than a fit issue, but I did send it back. Which is why I’ll only shop online if I know the site has a good return policy.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Absolutely, window dressing is created to look appealing in the same way and many items are pinned and disguised. That's why buying certain things like dresses such be in person. In catalogs I always like to see all angles of a garment and if there isn't then you know it's been pinned. I know Banana Republic do state what size and height the model is on their website and that helps a little bit.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    it's not me but my husband who had experienced that problem of the false image of an item's picture. He bought me a Christmas present in an online shop. The purse looked good and the price is reasonable so he purchased it. Upon arriving, the purse turned out to be a small purse and not a handbag.He was very disappointed. But he still gave it to me for a present although I haven't used that purse yet until now.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is one of the reasons why I don't buy more clothes online. Even when you can physically see and touch an item of clothing in a store, and you like the look of it, and then you try it on, sometimes it just doesn't look right. So I know for a fact that I cannot go off of the images posted on websites. My body doesn't always look good in certain items of clothing. This is why I never buy clothes online.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Whenever I'm buying clothing items from individual sellers I usually just buy from ones that have detailed pictures, and usually those are ones where sellers don't do much lighting effects to make the item more appealing. It's not that I don't trust stores that have good pictures, but in some cases, I just prefer getting the real information even if it means settling with a store that has less professional images. I do this for other things to like electronics because usually I'm just buying second hand for the utility rather than the aesthetics.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes Theo, there's always that 'pinning clothes back' thing to make it fit better and more appealing that I find very annoying LOL This is why I almost always make sure I check in store first, and maybe even try the item on before I commit to a sale online. Luckily for me, I've never had an unpleasant experience with online shopping, and I do a lot of it.

I've also worked out that the high end designer gear is cut smaller than regular high street stuff. -and even different high street stores sizing differs from store to store; Marks and Spencer, Next and Dorothy Perkins are more generous than say River Island and Zara.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, a few times! That happened to me specially at a store where I buy clothes for really cheap online. The clothing look great and have great fabric and fitting, but when it arrives the fabric is really poor quality, stitching is crooked and fits terribly. I had 2 clothing items like that from this store, so I haven't bought stuff there for a while after last time this happened.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, the pics were indeed misleading to the point that I bought shorts that seem to be for children! I messaged the seller before on what the measurement of the shorts is, and she responded very late and inaccurate too, and since I have a competitor, I just bid until I beat that person. Turns out I should have let him win, lol.

13. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, some pictures online can be very misleading. I also used to buy from direct sellers and their catalogues are also very misleading. This can lead to me being very frustrated and not buying from them again. Though there are also stores that portray realistic images and hence, I become loyal to their brand. So it's a matter of trial and error. You just have to decide which stores are worth your money. And if they turn out not to be worth it, you can just ban them on your list of go to stores.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The pictures online are so misleading that I do not feel comfortable purchasing a clothes item from a site. I still go to the store to purchase clothes. I like to feel the texture of the material and see the quality of the workmanship. People like to say if you don't like it send it back, I find that to be a pain in the rear, it takes time to return items and you still need to find something to wear.

15. DavidOW

DavidOWNew Member

Threads:
    Already bought really expensive things online, but never got disappointed...