Modern decor

Discussion in Home & Garden started by khillis • Mar 28, 2014.

1. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    What are your thoughts on modern decor? Having neutral furniture (i.e. all white, black or tan). Accents of colour throughout the room allow for those pieces to 'pop'. Do you currently decorate using modern design?

2. thriftyme

thriftymeMember

Threads:
    I don't, but I have thought about it. I like the minimal esthetic to modern designs. Sometimes they do come off as a bit sterile, cold and lifeless, though. The use of bold prints can liven up a neutral palette, that's for sure. Also, indoor plants can warm up a modern room. Overall, I like simple clean shapes so I may give this style a try in the future.

3. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't know there was a name for it, and I didn't know it was a trend, but this is exactly how I decorate. My husband thinks I'm boring. I think I'm boring too, but I like it so I keep doing it. It started with wall paint (khaki/beige) with a red accent wall. I have only solid colored furniture, and I try to stick with solids for my bedspreads and curtains too.

I just prefer simple. For me, it is more timeless, I don't get sick of it, and it is easy to change by changing an accessory here or there.

I'm not terribly interested in decorating so I feel like it isn't something I'm good at, so for me, I just want things to look clean, finished, and simple. Prints and tons of colors, to me, is too busy.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've always preferred clean modern designs. I don't care for interior designs that are way too cluttered and busy, or too "theme"-y. My mood and interests change too much, and when a design is too specific, it will often not fit my mood and I will get sick of it right away.

You can liven up minimalist designs with proper lighting too. Simple things like large mirrors on the wall can be subtle but also direct light around the room giving it a whole different look and feel (as well as making the room look bigger). Dramatic lighting low to the floor or in unconventional locations can cast dramatic shadows too, to add interest to the room and create ambiance.