Money Saving Tip For Cosmetics

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by prose • Jan 29, 2016.

1. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I am always looking for ways to save money on cosmetics. There are often coupons available for cosmetics, however, they tend to be for new, expensive products that I would not normally purchase. I have one coupon-free cosmetic money saving tip for you!

At the end of the season, most grocery stores and pharmacies clear out that season's colors to make room for the new season's colors. When they clear them out, they put them on clearance, saving you up to 50% off!

While shopping recently at my local grocery store, I happened to cut down the cosmetics aisle, where a whole bunch of red-stickered items caught my eye! Mascara, eye shadows, lip stick, lip gloss, and even foundations were on clearance, as the store was making room for the new spring cosmetic lines. I found this to be the case a week later at another store. It may be worth checking your cosmetics aisles at the end of the season to see what kind of savings you can score on cosmetics!

What are some other ways that you save on cosmetics items?

2. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Coupons! Coupons from the Sunday paper are always good. Also, look for coupons on certain apps like Cartwheel for Target, they will have discounts. Plus there are sites that have coupons as well. Also, look for samples. Some websites and places will have samples of make up and I have done that with a number of concealers and BB creams. The Dollar Store may not have the best, but when you're desperate it works. Also I think it's E.L.F makes a cheaper brand and the make up isn't terrible either.

3. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I know it sounds bad, but one of the main ways that I save money on cosmetics is taking advantage of my travelling. I am guessing that most of you know what that means, but lets just say that I have not paid for hair products or lotion or soap for some time now, and it also helps that my area of work lends itself to getting some of that for free as well. Any last penny counts, and it all adds up in the end.

4. ellajanelle

ellajanelleMember

Threads:
    I shop online for cosmetics. I find that they're relatively cheaper and you get to have a wider selection. The downside is you have to find a really good shop that is trusted and sells authentic cosmetics. There are a lot of fake cosmetics online too and I have been a victim a couple of times. No wonder their cosmetics were cheap. But gladly I found my authentic cosmetics supplier and I've been purchasing from them since then!

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I lived in England, I used to have a great online store based in Canada that I used from time to time. I would buy a lot of cosmetics in bulk, because it worked out cheaper than the UK. They had a wide range of brands and also gave me a lot of good size samples, and from time to time, they'd even chuck in a regular size freebie, usually one of the items I bought on the regular. However, since I moved to Botswana, I just can't access the site! I get this error message that I can't get around. I'm not sure why that happened because I know for a fact they ship here and world wide, actually.

6. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm always on the lookout for sales and stock up on what I know I will end up using up. And always check for clearance items that are in good condition (be careful of stores that sell open makeup). Walmart's clearance section I always check it. I've gotten awesome deals like that. My favorite Covergirl mascara for $3, a Maybelline blush that's normally $6 for just $1, etc. ULTA can have great deals too. Around the holidays, Real Techniques was bogo and I got 4 of my favorite sponge for 2 something each (normally around 6). My last tip is always buy from reputable sellers. Fake makeup is not worth it. I went to a makeup class and they gave away fake Naked Palettes. The quality was worse than ELF. If you're going to buy a fake makeup on eBay, it's better to just buy a drugstore dupe and wait for drugstore sales. You never know what you're getting with fake, unregulated makeup.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    During occasions when I need gifts for young women. I usually get the so called bundle - a pack containing lipstick and makeup kit including eyebrow pencil. I discovered it when our first housemaid celebrated her birthday by treating us to a restaurant. In my hurry, I grabbed that makeup bundle in the department store. I can't forget the facial expression of our housemaid when she opened my gift. Now I usually buy that and my expectation was always right - the receiver is very happy.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I totally agree @mariee! I just don't think it's worth the risk at all. I have a beauty store near where I live which stocks questionable Mac products for cheap, and while I've been tempted to give it a try, I really don't want to risk the items breaking me out or causing untold damage to my skin. The problem for me is not being sure of what is actually contained within these products. So I'd rather pay a small fortune at a reputable stockist and be done with it. My Mac stuff lasts me ages anyway, so the hefty price tag doesn't really bother me. Better safe than sorry, i say :)

9. DanielleDavidson

DanielleDavidsonNew Member

Threads:
    I also use coupons that I find here and there. I also sometimes will get some gift cards, so I use those a lot. I typically save them up because I don't always go out and buy makeup. I do like using coupons, and that's typically what I use most of the time.

10. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    I tend to think of the shelf life when they're put on sale. While most products don't have expiration dates on them, it's safer to buy new products as soon as you see ads being posted introducing a new line of makeup. Shelf life can actually take up to two years at the most and for most women, makeup doesn't last long in their hands. Still it's good to always have a guide handy and I just found this article on the shelf life of makeup according to Bobbi Brown.

11. PennyPincher

PennyPincherMember

Threads:
    There are actually a lot of good cosmetics sold at dollar stores. I don't wear makeup at all unless I am going out because I have very oily skin. But, I have found that cheaper brands work just as well and do not cause breakouts. Cheaper brands also have a variety of different colors to choose from as well. I will never pay expensive prices for cosmetics.

12. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    The end of season sale is always good as we get the same products that we intended to buy at a cheaper rate. Anyways I normally don't wear makeup unless there is a special occasion. And also I don't usually prefer to buy online. When I go to the store I try out different brands and buy the ones which are optimal for the cost that I spend.

13. Fran Sherrell

Fran SherrellNew Member

Threads:
    Frankly speaking, I wait for a year-end clearance sale to buy my favorite cosmetics. However I do keep a check on various online stores during Christmas, Mother's Day, thanksgiving, and Black Friday. During these events, the prices are slashed down and you can buy cosmetics in bulk from exclusive brands. I bought lipstick and eye liner set from Michael Marcus cosmetics collection at the markdown price and they were just awesome. High in quality and reasonable in pricing!!

14. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I look out for the various sales that comes online as I usually buy the cosmetics online. Although I don't use too much of cosmetics. I only wear lipstick and kajal and put on a sun screen. That's all. So I don't spend too much on cosmetics.

15. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I know unscented cat litter is created for cats to poop on but it has the same ingredient as facial masks and anti-aging facial washes. It is much more cheaper than anti-aging stuff but it is from the same material.

16. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I don't understand much about these things to the point of giving some tips on economics, but I'm sure my girlfriend has a huge list about places, and deals when it comes to cost-effectiveness.

She can buy so much cheap stuff that sometimes that I must to say that I'm amazed with so efficiently. She really gets great discounts.