Moneysaving Tips

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Ke Gordon • Sep 3, 2015.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What are your best moneysaving tips? Mine would be to know prices. You don't know whether you are getting a bargain or not, unless you know the prices of things. I pride myself on knowing where the least expensive place is to buy everything. This can even be in terms of name brands...who sells namebrands for less? and what is really a sale and what is not...That is mine, what is yours?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    - Use coupons.

- Use a shopping list. Buy only what's on the list.

- Buy used when you can.

- Give up vices [drinking and smoking don't benefit you in any way].

- Join a DVD/Book club. You'll spend less money buying books and DVDs.

- Cook all your meals.

- Start a garden — plant vegetables and herbs.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is not to brag but I buy signature items most of the time. They are expensive, all right, but it depends on the timing. Like last week, there was that sale in Forever 21, on their imported items - blazers and blouses. I was able to buy a blazer which was on 50% discount. No bad eh? They have a coming sale again, the so called pre-Christmas sale in the middle of November. Expect me to be there. That's my shopping tip to save on expensive clothes. Buy on sale only.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:

Everything on your list would be mine too - plus

never letting anything go to waste
    to always make cost effective decisions before parting with any money
    only buying what is needed and what will be used
    and most important of all - never buying something that can't be afforded or put simply - if you don't have the cash - don't buy it.

5. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    1. Buy quality items. They may be expensive up front, but they will last you for years. I tend to buy expensive shoes and accessories and keep them around for a long time.

2. Find all the coupons you can get your hands on and use them. Try to find the items on sale at the store and then use the coupon on top of that.

3. Buy store brand products when there is no difference in the quality of the product.

4. Stock up on things like office supplies and other household items when they are on sale for the season. We buy all of our office supplies when the back to school supplies are on deep discount.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My best tip is to think as long term as possible. Some discounts or savings might look good on the short term but if it eventually ends up costing you more in the far future then it wouldn't have been worth it at all. Choosing to buy cheaper products, for example, only to have them break down a lot faster than more expensive ones, will just make you wish you had just spent more on the initial expense instead of now having to make trips and pay for repairs. You could also potentially save a lot on cheap food now, but if it's unhealthy then it will only end up sending you to the hospital in the long run which is a hundred times more expensive.

7. watsadamen

watsadamenMember

Threads:
    It is important to live within your means. If you can allocate money for savings and investment the better. Savings is important especially for emergency use, while investment is for you to earn extra income. As much as possible, have a budget and religiously follow it. Always list down what you need before going to the market to prevent unnecessary spending. Refrain from eating out or limit it to special occasions only. You can save a lot if you prepare and cook your own meals. Research for fun family activities online that are free or have minimum expense. Limit the use of the car to save gas. Limit also the use of electricity; turn off the lights or appliances when not in use and if possible change to energy-saving appliances.

8. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I have a few tips as well:

1. Research, research and research! It's important to compare prices before buying anything. Be it online or offline, always research different stores before purchasing an item. Same goes with different brands, research before deciding on which one to buy.

2. Budget! Always budget your income. Save a portion of it and spend only on necessities.

3. Take advantage of sales. Buy when there are clearance or warehouse sales.

4. Do not be an impulsive buyer. Always ask, "do I need this?" before buying anything.

9. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Don't follow the VIP Protocols and while you are one traveling try to think like a local who wanna experience all good things of that region.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My tips would be to go hunting for sales every time, and that goes for grocery shopping (one of the most important ones to hunt for he best price) and shopping overall.
    I specially hunt for prices for grocery, it's something I like doing. I will usually have at least two supermarkets I go to every week and check prices for everything. I know for example one of them has much better pricing for yogurts and dairies overall, so naturally I shop for those in there. The other one is better for cleaning supplies, house items and things like that, so that's where I go. Knowing your prices will save you quite some money!

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    - Buy clothing at the end of season when it's marked down to almost nothing, then save it for the following year. I've saved hundreds, if not thousands, over the years doing this, on everything from dress shirts, to dress pants as well as coats.

- Hit up your $1 stores and discount grocery stores first to get as many items on your grocery list as you can, before going to your main grocery store. Even you are able to find just 10 items for $1, that would normally cost $2-$3 or more, you've just saved $10-$20 right there off your grocery bill, without even any coupons. Speaking of which, places like Dollar Tree do accept coupons as well!

- Cut your own hair if possible. Ok, so this may not work out for everyone, but I've had a buzz cut for the past 15 years, and I've been cutting my own hair for the past 12. There is no sense in me wasting $15 plus tip every month to have this done, it's so easy to do it myself at home.

- Swap out all your cleaning and household supplies with generics as much as possible. Don't get too devoted to brand name counterparts unless you really need them for some reason. Instead of buying Oxi Clean, for example, get the cheaper knock off of it at Dollar Tree for only a buck for a container, vs. like $4-$5 each. Get the generic pads instead of the Swiffer brand name pads for your dry mops. Go generic with your soaps and detergents, you won't miss the brand name ones, but you will have extra money on hand for doing so.