More Paypal Limits

Discussion in Personal Finance started by Gelsemium • Jan 19, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Last week I received a message from Paypal saying that I have reached certain amount money that I had received in PayPal and that I needed to verify my ID with national identity card and a bill from electricity for example. Has this happened to you? Normal procedure from them?

2. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    That's not something that I've ever heard of, though I'm guessing it might depend on how much money you have sitting on the account and what you use your PayPal for. If it's use for buying and selling stuff then maybe there are additional restrictions to what I use it for, which is simply get money transferred to.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of that. Are you sure it's even legit? Doesn't sound it to me. Never ever open random emails from paypal. Go directly to paypal to verify in your account and if you're still unsure, contact paypal to be sure. Emails from them aren't usually real unless you've been hacked and they're letting you know. But don't take my word for it, I have no idea if it's real.. go straight to them and never respond to emails from them or click on ANY links within them. Ever.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get phishing emails all the time from spammers pretending to be Paypal. Don't give them any information. Just log directly into Paypal, don't even open the email. You can also call Paypal to find out if it's a spoof email.

5. Mika

MikaMember

Threads:
    I've never heard about this before. As far as I know, PayPal doesn't require any authentication from the money you receive. At least, I've never seen it and I can easily get a few thousand dollars in there. I would suggest going to their main website, finding their phone number, and actually calling to ask about it. It sounds like a scam to me though.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have had a paypal account for many years, and I have never received a request like that. Ar you sure this isn't some kind of new scam? In recent weeks I got some letters about new policies and updates from paypal, but nowhere did I come across anything like you are describing here.

7. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    I have had a paypal account for quite some time and I have never ever gotten a communication from them like that - at least one that was legitimate. Because with paypal; once you're verified, you're verified and your limits are lifted. There have been lots of scam emails going around posing as legitimate communications from paypal; this could have been one of them.

Please post the email address where you got this mail from, something isn't right with that.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Well, I have my PayPal account for almost two years now, but I started to get some more money recently and it seems I've gotten to a limit after which I need to present documents. I've uploaded them directly in my PayPal account after logging in, it seems reliable... Strange though.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You went directly to your paypal (not through the email) to get the same information? Wow.. that doesn't seem right at all. Your money and how much you get is your business, I would stop using them if they questioned me like that. Very odd.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, I logged in and they said, you've reached X limit. EU legislation asks us to require this info because of some anti-money laundering... LOL! Here's the quote... The thing is that it's a ridiculous low limit.

"PayPal is required by law to comply with European Union Anti-Money Laundering regulations by collecting information from customers when they reach this limit."

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yikes.. here, have some of my freedom! lol.. I'm glad we don't have that. Yet. If it happens, I'm not sure what I'll be doing next. I'm not crazy about Paypal, but it's very convenient for what we do and I don't trust alternatives yet. Pretty soon I'll have to resort to a shoebox in the ceiling savings account ;)

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I was looking on Google for some more information and this is from PayPal indeed, meaning that it's not a scam. I've sent the required info as I have nothing to hide, now I am waiting for them to make my account normal again, they have 131 days to answer... :D

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know there is a minimum to withdraw now.. I just think the whole thing is ridiculous. Rules rules everywhere you turn. Can't even do whatever you want with your own money.

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I am starting to worry that they take too long to answer and that I reach the other limit and that they block my account, I've heard so many bad things about PayPal and now it's my turn to experience them. Hopefully this gets solved soon.

What's the minimum limit? Never heard of that until now.

15. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty much sure that could be a spoof mail. Paypal users frequently get such emails. But, if you open PayPal site by clicking the link in their mail, they will steal your login credentials. Paypal does not ask for your utility bills. It charges your credit card initially to verify your account. Once your account is verified, there are no limits.

Always go to PayPal by typing:

16. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    No, I have not heard of this before. The only limit I'm aware of is something like a $3,000 limit for transfers per month. Other than that I was unaware of other limits and restrictions.

17. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Did you ever hear back from them? If it is legitimate, our governments want to make sure they get their 'fair' share of what we have, even if they have to instate a policy like that. It's disgusting, in my opinion. They get more than enough already, and waste a good part of that on frivolous items I don't even approve of. I'm in the U.S., and haven't heard of a similar policy, but if it's not already enacted, no doubt, it will be.

It looks as if you verified that the email was legitimate, but in case anyone isn't aware, here's what to do, and where to forward potential scam emails purporting to be from PayPal:

18. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    That's a bit scary though because they require this information of you. Did you have a credit card registered, were you verified? I've never heard of that and I wouldn't want to be in that position indeed! I really hope it never happens with me as I would of lost all of the money I made. I would appreciate it if you reply and provide more information on what happened and were you verified? did you register your bank account and credit card information into PayPal? or was it a normal non verified account?

19. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Paypal do have transaction limits for unverified Paypal users and it will be lifted once your account is verified. I think Paypal imposes different verification system per country, here in the Philippines, the normal procedure is to verify using a bank account or credit card (not with an ID or other documents). :)

You can visit their online customer support page for more info:

20. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    Phew. That put my mind at ease because I was already verified and was thinking will they request anything of me? I'm quite satisfied with PayPal and I don't think I would switch to another. I will mention though, the fees are quite high on PayPal, don't you think?