Most nutritional AND cheapest type of meat?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by JoanMcWench • Dec 30, 2013.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I was looking for a type of meat that is relatively cheap but has enough nutritional value to justify eating it. I know ground meats can be cheaper but I also know there is usually a huge amount of fat in them. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

2. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Chicken is typically the most healthy and inexpensive cut of meat. You either have to get a two-for-one deal on ground chicken or a pack of legs (drumsticks). Another option is turkey legs. In the months not surrounding Thanksgiving, they sell for real cheap. They are great for soups.

[​IMG]

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Boneless pork chops. If you get a small pork ribeye roast (which are usually around $6 in my area for a 2 lb.-er) you can hand cut a bunch of thin chops out of just one. Even better if they are unloading the roasts on a buy one get one free. They are lean, and per pound, you aren't paying for bones and skin - straight meat. They can be a little bland and get dried out easily, but if you are creative enough you can work some magic with them. You can obviously grill them, or make a scalopini with them, bread them in a seasoned panko and fry them then smother them in gravy, dice them or cut them into strips for stir fry's, etc...

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Chicken thighs are also a good buy, and I kind of prefer them over the drumsticks since they are a bit more versatile. The good thing about buying them bone in with the skin still on them is that you can use those bones and skin to make a fantastic homemade chicken stock, that is also very good for you. The chicken fat and gelatin that the stock produces aren't necessarily bad for you either. Chicken fat is higher in monounsaturated fats than many other fats. The collagen and gelatin in homemade broth is also good for your digestion, for your joints, and boosting your immune system.

It's pretty easy to de-bone and de-skin a chicken thigh, and after you go through a few packs of chicken, you will get the hang of it rather easily. There are also videos on Youtube showing how to do this.

As for the thigh meat itself, I prefer to cook it off the bone anyhow, since it cooks more evenly and much faster. It also has more flavor and doesn't dry out like chicken breasts do. One of my favorite ways to prepare it is to simply marinate it for a few hours in soy sauce or teriyaki sauce, then pan fry it in some canola oil. If you cook it at a medium to medium low temperature and let it get a nice golden brown on both sides while it gets cooked through in the center, it's practically fool proof. One of the biggest mistakes I used to make in the past was cooking it too quickly at too high of a temperature, which would result in a burnt exterior while the center was still raw. In addition, when done cooking, let the chicken rest for a couple minutes before cutting into it.

When I am craving fried chicken instead, I will just simply coat the thighs with a little oil, and place them in a baking dish, season them, then top them with seasoned panko breadcrumbs and bake them until golden.

If you have a pressure cooker, you can also pressure cook the thigh meat for shredded chicken that works great in soups, chicken salad, taco fillings, or BBQ pulled chicken for sandwiches.

5. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I'm also going to go with chicken as the consistently lowest price on meat.

That said, if you watch meat sales, you can often afford a variety of meats and cuts on a budget. I just happen to know my price points and I stock up when meat hits them. I'll buy any pork or beef when it is in the $1-$2/lb range.

Bacon is pretty consistently going to be expensive for what you are getting, so figuring out alternate ways to get your bacon fix is smart. We've substituted breakfast ham for bacon and have saved tons of money that way. I also watch for the random sausage sale. I feel like that is one of those things that often gets marked down for quick sale in my grocery store, and if you keep your eye on coupons, there's very often one available for the most popular brand names.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    As others said, chicken is a decent one.

One that is often forgotten is fish, too. While fresh fish can be super expensive sometimes, there are frozen fish options that are reasonably priced. And don't forget canned fish! Canned tuna is crazy cheap sometimes and can be added to other cheap dishes to add some nutrients without adding a lot of cost.