Most Shocking Book Ending You've Ever Read?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by dyanmarie25 • Mar 4, 2015.

1. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Probably not the most shocking ending but quite memorable and has totally stuck in my mind. It's the book, Whispers and Lies by Joy Fielding. You will have a hard time believing the ending of this novel. It kind of surprised me. It tells the story of a middle-aged nurse named Terry Painter who lives all by herself. She eventually allows Allison Simms, a much younger woman, to rent her place. The story then somersaults and becomes a murder mystery. Suspicions here and there. But that psychological twist is definitely my favorite. To those who may want to read this, I would not spoil the ending, don't worry. American Psycho is pretty good too, but a little bit obvious just by reading the title.

How about you? What is the most shocking book ending you've ever read?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know if this would qualify as shocking but if you haven't read a book titled "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold" then you should. The disgusting things intelligence agencies will do in the name of protecting their citizens. Suffice it to be said that the twist at the end of the book is . . . shocking.

3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Is that some kind of a science fiction book or not? Anyway, thank you for sharing that one. I might try and check it out. I am a sucker for shocking endings and plot twists so I better hope this would live up to my expectations. :)

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not a sci-fi. The book was written in the cold war era. Coming in from the cold I believe is a reference of coming out of the cold war . . . "retiring" from government service [as a spy], that sort of thing. I'm sure it will give you the sort of ending that will leave you — shocked.

5. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    There's a dark involved fantasy series called the Black Jewel Trilogy by Anne Bishop. She excels at really spectacular darkly detailed world building. At the end of the first book in the trilogy, the main female character is bleeding out, damaged internally from a vicious rape and has mentally retreated from the world leaving her catatonic. She's taken away to safety but a few of her rescuers are being hunted down and you don't know if she ever wakes back up. And that's the end. The whole series was out by the time I first read them so I didn't have to wait more than abut 6 hours for the second book but I was going CRAZY worried and wondering what would happen next.

6. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    Dan Browns novel are well known for twists and sometimes shocking endings. I personally shocked about the ending of Angels and Demons. The twists and turns are superb. I never thought that one of the friendy character in the novel is the mastermind of all the events that takes place. Oops sorry for the spoiler

7. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    Because they're books I read recently, I'd have to say Gone Girl. And it wasn't really shocking as much as "wtf? no! what?!" LOL Was really looking forward to the movie just so that my partner could see it (he's not a reader LOL).

Another one was the Divergent series (all 3 books and 4 minibooks). Again, not really shocking but sort of disappointing. (Do hope they change the ending in the movie.)

8. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Probably the end of Bran Stark's storyline in George R. R. Martin's fifth book of the Game of Thrones series, "A Dance with Dragons." With the show's popularity I think it might be considered in bad taste if I describe the ending in detail here so I'll just leave it at that.

9. thatnewmommy

Threads:
    LOLOLOL. That George RR Martin!!!!! LOLOL A friend read the book before I started watching the show. I would keep having my "wtf was that" attacks as I was watching the series (we binged watched the first three seasons before the 4th one started). He would then describe any differences between the books and the show.

Those of us who didnt read the books wont be the only ones surprised this season from what I read. Martin said he's allowed the showrunners to kill of a character that didnt die in the books. ;) Plus, he told them more or less how he plans to end the books.

10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    No freaking way! Bran Stark is going to die? I know that I shouldn't be surprised because George R. R. Martin really has no heart for his characters, but why Brandon? Anyway, I thinking I'm going to be fine with it as long as Arya Stark lives.

11. thatnewmommy

Threads:
    LOLOLOL. DOnt anyone say anything about the books just in case, but Arya CAN'T die. It's like Daryl from The Walking Dead can't die either. If they do...we riot. LOL

12. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    Shutter Island has got a really weird ending...

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Isabel Allende The House of the Spirits had one of the most shocking endings possible. Aside from being a cliff-hanger of sorts (since one of the main narrators and characters' predicament was never resolved), she had toundergo a series of rapes and got pregnant as a result. The book was a retelling of the Chile that was, during the time of its foremost dictator.

14. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Oh please, I assure you friend Arya will never die. It's virtually impossible given her role in upcoming events. If somehow George or the showrunners ever do kill her in the books or in the show, you can bet there will be blood on the streets. Valar Morghulis.