motel vs Hotel

Discussion in Travel started by Mayvin • Aug 3, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    When traveling I've usually almost always stayed in a hotel mostly on road trips to a particular destination mostly because the thought of staying in a motel didn't sound appealing. But recently I decided to try a motel after years since staying in one (a motel 6) and was pleasantly shocked! It was completely renovated looking beautiful and very comfortable. The place was pet friendly as well and you couldn't hear or smell and pets surprisingly. The room was slightly under $60 dollars a night! I was wondering if all motel 6's have renovated their rooms or if it was just that particular location. After that experience I'm thinking I'll be more inclined to stay in a motel to save money if its a nice as the one I stayed in. Why pay over a hundred dollars a night if you can pay half that for similar accommodations?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always preferred motels to hotels, simply because they are cheap, easy to get to, and usually open until late. In my travels I have come across all kinds of motel rooms, from bedbug hell to paradise. My tactic is good planning. When you are on the road, start looking for a room before it gets dark. Ask the motel manager to let you have a look at their rooms, and if you don't like what you see, just move on. As simple as that.

3. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    I always prefer the hotels instead of motels because every facility available there and enjoy with the full decorated rooms what's your choice?

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I am by myself it is more about the location and what's nearby. A hotel is more of an experience with pools and restaurants, where a motel is somewhere to use as a base. As long as it's clean and safe, I don't mind. Sometimes I have stayed in expensive hotels and not used the facilities so that is really what you are paying for as well.
    Motels tend to have more things like a coffee makers or microwaves, where hotels want to go to the restaurant and buy food and drink or room service, so I find a motel more relaxing as I like to snack and not not have to wait for someone to bring it when I am not looking my best.

5. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Actually it depends on the place I'm travelling and the location. Some hotels come in cheap and offer great service and facility while some motels come in not quite so. But for the most part I always check in at hotels of course as long as I can afford it.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think it often depends on how much you have spare to spend, how long you're going to be staying there for, and how much time you would be likely to spend in your room anyway. When I am travelling, I will often be exploring so much that I only literally go to my hotel room to sleep. When this is the case, it seems that it would be a bit of a waste to spend money on an expensive room that I'm not going to spend a lot of time in. As long as there is a bed, bathroom, and the room is clean, I don't mind where I stay, and I'm more than happy to compromise on the luxuries for a little bit of leeway on the price that I would have to pay.

7. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    I always stay at the hotel and I think it is the best place to take some rest during your journey. Usually to go anywhere I search about their hotels with attractions because I want some reasonable hotels with pleasant atmosphere. It makes me very comfortable and fresh to travel the next day. I like to do new experience and adventures so on my next tour I will be try motel.

8. Andrey212121

Andrey212121Banned

Threads:
    I usually preferred motels to hotels because of the price. Hotels are more expensive, but restore you after hard day much quicker))) But if you have some extra money you should definitely choose hotels.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually prefer to stay in hotels as well, but I agree that motels have gotten much nicer recently. I suppose it's due to the increase in competition so standard establishments feel more compelled to stand out. Not all of them have renovated though, and there are ones that are still old and dusty and those ones I try to stay away from, but the new ones and newly renovated ones are definitely worth a try.

10. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I would rather stay in hotels. One, the concept of motels here in the Philippines is not the same as that with other countries. Motels here are synonymous to sleazy places. Two, they tend to be dirty. Three, I have watched so many horror films that happened in motels. I do not want to be murdered in one by a psycho who dresses up as his mother!