Mother's Day Gifts From Kids

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by JoanMcWench • Apr 11, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Not that I don't love a card with crayon writing inside or a Shoebox changed into a cat with pipe cleaners & a marker but I was wondering how to sway a child to create things that can be used more than once & not stored in a box later? I was thinking something along the lines of having them go to classes that interest them like cooking or knitting? Maybe hint they could recycle things or donate to charity?

2. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    One great idea is to decorate a plate at a Paint-Your-Own-Pottery place. If they are very little, the staff can turn their footprints or handprints into art. For example, they could make their feet look like butterflies, or their hands look like flowers. At CHristmstime, it is reallly cute to get footprints that turn into snowmen.

Another idea are "thumprint necklackes" (Google them). Also, I like the idea of a photo bracelet.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are tons of handmade crafts these days, and they are easier to find than ever with sites like Pinterest and stuff. Kids can actually make some nice things to give others for special occasions. They can turn a jar or can into a cute vase and add some flowers, which also includes the recycling idea.

I think helping them learn a craft like knitting, crocheting, sewing, etc. is a great idea. So many things they can make for every occasion. My kids loved stuff like this, because they wanted to give their own gifts instead of us giving them something to give.

4. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    Creating stepping stones for your garden could be nice. In addition, you could have them help create a mosaic on a flower pot. You could enlist a relative like grandparents, aunts, uncles, or even dad to create the item while you are out having alone time as a special part of mother's day and then they could present their gift upon your return home.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Home Depot has free workshops for kids from time to time that teach them how to make things like a birdhouse or planter.
    Or you could teach your kids how to grow herbs from seeds so that they can gift herb plants.

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lots of good ideas here.

I didn't know about the free workshops at Home Depot. I had heard of home improvement ones, but I didn't know about the ones for kids. Thanks for sharing this, @ACSAPA@ACSAPA . I will definitely check it out. My youngest loves to make things, and I've been thinking I'd like to find a class or workshop of some sort for her. Building something sounds like a lot of fun.

My kids have surprised me by making some very cool things (but yeah, I still have boxes full of melted crayon, bits of glue and paper, and other assorted gifts too).

7. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Well, when we were kids, the extent of our DIY abilities were to make picture frames out of macaronis. Or necklaces out of macaronis. That was fun!

To have them decorate and transform items from the house is not too bad, too. Signed T-shirts or pillow cases, painting a pot plant, etc, etc. As long as it's agreed with daddy and not just a surprise for everyone, of course!

8. Barry Walker

Barry WalkerNew Member

Threads:
    DIY picture frames idea sounds great. :)

Even I along with my little sister used to create amazing stuff with waste material available in our house.

I used to make tray out of an old photo frame, bookmarks from Popsicle sticks and many more such stuff.

I used to enjoy making all such stuff. I really miss those days.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Bookmarks are good projects. They are simple enough but can be very pretty with the right materials.

You can also have kids decorate a flower pot with paint, wallpaper, or fabric, and put a flowering plant inside. Flowering plants tend to last much longer than flowers. Some can even be replanted outdoors, to last even longer.

Anything helpful works too. Kids can take a flower pot and make it into a gift basket for Mom if she likes to garden. Add some packets of seeds, a trowel, some garden gloves, and tie it all up with a bright bow. Makes a nice little gift for just a few dollars, and the kids can assemble it.

10. Barry Walker

Barry WalkerNew Member

Threads:
    I liked the concept of painting a flowering pot and gifting it to Mom. This is so touchy. :)

#10Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015