Motion Sickness Cut Short My Trips, Any Tips?

Discussion in Travel started by Jatelo2 • Apr 8, 2015.

1. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    I love nature and always desire to travel far and wide to behold the beauty out there. Sadly, I have an irritating motion sickness. Just the thought of boarding a vehicle makes me sick.

This has reduced me to a virtual tourist against my wish. I have to watch many things via Discovery World or NatGeo.. Any helpful tips that will enable me visit places without having to worry about motion sickness?

Please help and thanks a bunch in advance for assisting.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, I can both empathize and sympathize with you when it comes to your dealings with travel sickness. There are times when it is worse than others too. Sometimes it hardly kicks up at all, and then other times I'm trying not to throw up from the moment that I step into the car, until the moment that I step out of it. I've tried a series of herbal teas with no success.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't suffer from motion sickness, but multiple people in my family do. I'm sorry to hear that you do, too. That's rough. I don't have any remedies for motion sickness, but you could try prescription motion sickness medication for flights. It won't help you as much on train or car rides, though, because you'll want to remember and enjoy things.

Just a thought for at least getting over to other countries.

4. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    I too have tried almost any suggestions I've read online with zero to no success. This makes my trips some of the most agonizing experiences ..
    I was once told to concentrate on observing the nature as we travel.. I'm supposed to admire the beauty through the window... Sadly, I get bored fast and the thought of traveling makes me very sick.. Anyway, thanks for the idea

#4Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2015
  5. J. Arizin

J. ArizinNew Member

Threads:
    Well, my dad experiences motion sickness. We have to ride a boat to get to his hometown and whenever we visit, what he does is try to fall asleep as soon as possible on the boat. He drinks beer and we only take the boat that leave in the middle of the night. It usually works for him but I don't really recommend drinking alcohol to everybody because you might get even more sick. There is a drug called Meclizine that is sold in pharmacies here that is said to reduce motion sickness. My dad doesn;'t like it since he loves beer. But maybe you should ask your doctor about it.

6. DreekLass

Threads:
    I know how you feel. One of the worst things that anybody could have ever told me to do was to eat mints, or to drink peppermint tea? Apparently it is largely known for settling one's stomach, but it only seems to make me feel worse, and I find that I am more likely to vomit if I drink mint tea before the trip or during the trip.

I have never tried travel sickness medication though, so they might work.

7. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I feel for you as someone who grew up with severe motion sickness as well. Something that helps is to eat a plain, but filling breakfast like granola, oatmeal or something of that nature. You don't want any sort of flavor or anything that might contribute to upsetting your stomach. Peppermints were something that helped me though.

If you aren't looking for medical fixes, such as dramamine to knock you out on the trip, sitting in the front-seat is an absolute must. Focusing straight ahead on the road keeps your eyes stable and really does help. If you're looking outside the window, all that days is advance your motion sickness symptoms.

8. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I use the non-drowsy dramamine (meclazine) and tight sea sickness bands for any significant travel. I also keep candied ginger in my purse and mint leaves to put in my water bottles. Oddly, I travel best by air. Okay by train as long as I face forward and close the window shade next to me. I'm really bad on buses, in cars, and on boats smaller than mega cruise ships. Unfortunately for me, we do most of our travel by car because my partner doesn't fly. Sitting up front and watching in front of me helps. Closing a window shade beside me or wearing sunglasses with super-dark side pieces to limit my perhipheral vision helps. I also have to limit the time I read or look up things or my cell phone. When I was a kid, they told me I'd grow out of it. I didn't. Then they told me it would be better when I was driving but it's actually NOT any better if I'm the one behind the wheel.

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the UK, you can purchase wristbands which incorporate a magnet. Applied to the correct pressure point, they claim to stop travel sickness. I've heard plenty of positive things about them so they could very well be worth trying.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yes, one thing that I have learned is that travelling when you have not eaten anything is a bad move for those who suffer with travel sickness. One time I went to my friend's house, and I had about three mugfuls of lemon tea??? I thought I could drink them and they'd settle my stomach before the cab ride home from his home, and ended up throwing up in the back of the cab. I don't think that liquids assist much. I've tried water too, and it does not help.

11. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Do you have freinds who have used the drug and are showing improvement? I've tried different tablets with little to no success. Anyway, I'll seek the doctor's opinion...

On the contrary my situation worsens whenever I eat before the trip.. it is always obvious that I'll throw up. I tried taking mint and Ginger Biscuits but the result isn't long lasting and I have to eat biscuit througout the journey (especially when traviling during the day)..

#11Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2015
  12. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sadly, I don't know of any remedy that would be actually helpful. I know a few people with motion sickness, and even though they tried over the years, nothing really helped. Only thing that you can do is to get medication to try and prevent motion sickness, but I'm not sure if it's prescription or not right now. Kinedril is one of the brands.

13. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    Fresh ginger to make tea, or ginger tea and ginger candies/candied will help with motion sickness. It helped me when I was on a cruise ship. You can buy ready to drink ginger tea and candies in an Asian market.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with whoever said to fill up first. I grew up travelling quite a bit from city to city and was always in the back where, for some reason, it's worse. It was just a part of life for me, but now that I have kids and one gets seriously car sick, we eventually figured out, after a billion vomit clean ups, that he needed to be well fed and well hydrated before leaving and we keep snacks and water in the car at all times now. I still only get car sick in the back or either front or back for super long trips, but he gets sick every time, regardless, if he's even the slightest bit hungry. He may still get a little woozy from time to time, which can also depend on the temp in the car, but he never throws up anymore.

15. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I love nature and travel too. I have had success using ginger for motion sickness. It is very soothing to the stomach and gets rid of the motion. I drink plenty of water and a bit of ginger tea, about an hour and a half before I travel. Then, I actually take a small piece of ginger with me in a plastic wrap and suck on it throughout. It works without the side effects of the drugs.

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also get motion sickness, the tip to have ginger to suck on while traveling. There are times I have to get off the bus if the ride is jerky and full of people. The smells along with the jerking make me very sick to my stomach.

17. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I would stick to the drug-free ways of traveling because of the side effects and they include drowsiness,dry mouth,blurry vision and constipation as well. I would go with some drug-free tips and some things they recommmend are to drink plenty of water before you go-also drive or ride shotgun whenever you can(this works for me). You should always look off into the horizon when in a car or boat and this keeps you from getting sick-and do not close your eyes or read while traveling. So try to stay out of the back seat because you will be stairing at the back of the drivers headrest and that could cause problems !

18. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a niece whose motion sickness was terrible. She throw up several times while we were cruising the highway. She was in high school at the time. Someone suggested medication. I think it is Ionamine or something like that. But to no avail. What cured her problem was her orientation with movement. She would take a short ride, often on a bus. She said that riding often could beat the motion sickness.

19. Punkin

PunkinMember

Threads:
    To begin with, make sure you bring an ample supply of Dramamine. For many people, this is a wonder drug which will enable them to actually enjoy the ride, which is half the point of a trip! Be aware that you should avoid alcohol while taking it as the two can enhance any drowsiness you will experience.

Another good tip is to ride smart. In vehicles, try to get the front seat. Being able to see ahead can ease, sometimes even prevent, motion sickness. Do not stare at screens or books as you ride. For some reason, people who do this tend to make motion sickness worse. Try to just focus ahead. Travel with an empty stomach if you can help it.