Motor Club Or Roadside Assistance

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by MrsJones • Aug 15, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I received a call today explaining an offer available by my current auto insurance company. These have probably been around for while but it is new to me. It was a motor/auto club offer which would be in addition to the roadside assistance that I already have. The cost was $15 a month. I would like to hear thoughts positive or negative.

Is anyone in a motor/auto club? In what way has it benefited you?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The only reason I have AAA currently is because my folks keep buying it for me - otherwise I wouldn't really bother with the expense because it wasn't really worth it to me. I think I tried to use the Roadside Assistance that came with my cars years ago, once or twice, when I had a flat, and another time when I couldn't get my keys to open my car for some reason. From what I recall, I was left waiting around for a long time until someone arrived. I've had the same experience with AAA, and in one instance, it was winter time and freezing cold, so I ended up calling another towing company instead because I got sick of waiting for whomever AAA was supposed to be sending me.

Personally, I would just pocket the $15 a month, which ads up to about the cost of a tow annually. Unless you find yourself winding up in situations where you are needing a tow annually, that money is just being flushed away to the roadside assistance company.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the motorclub that comes with AARP. The membership is much less expensive than AAA, I think it is only about 15 to 20 per year, and that entitles you to 3 tows which can be up to 100 miles. This is great for me since I live in the country. You can also get maps and so forth. AAA you pay more and get fewer miles per tow.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Any sort of thing which seems like vehicle health insurance is a good idea. Nonetheless, I have never dabbled in that stuff when I get my vehicle insurance. I guess I just don't really think about the issue that much. However, if I did, I'd benefit greatly cause the insurance probably costs less than an actual trip to some repair shop - in most cases.

Anyway, does anyone on here feel that so-called vehicle health insurance is cheaper than a normal repair or maintenance bill?

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We also have the counterpart of AAA here which is like an insurance that gives you peace of mind in times of a car breakdown. However, based on the experiences of friends, the assistance is not that quick and sometimes it is more practical to avail of the service of a mechanic on site. In our case now, our 2 cars are 4 years old and well maintained, we are fortunate not to have experienced a breakdown on the road. So that motor club or AAA insurance is not that important.