Moving-in-Together before Marriage - What Do You Think?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by mythman • Jul 24, 2014.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:

... lots of things:
    • that Yes, "cohabiting" is a logically economical move; but that men see it as 'just a living-condition,' while women see it as 'a step toward marriage.'
    • that It often is a step toward marriage, because--once you've moved-in-together--why not just stay?
    And lots of other things.

My basic thought on it (as a single guy living alone): ... my first thought is 'it isn't biblical.' The Bible says a woman (or dependent partner, as I would probably have to be) is to live with their parents until an independent person woos them away.

Of course, the Bible also shows how that kind of marriage led to 'The Fall of Mankind'; so maybe pre-marriage co-habitation is the way to go!

The Bible DOESN'T say how many of its other married-couples met---I can only think of two examples: King David & Bathsheba, who met when she was Uriah's wife & David-saw her outside taking a bath and -wanted her so bad that he sent Uriah out to die in battle; and Jacob & Rachel-&-Leah, the cousins-of-his for whom he worked a total of 14 years to 'earn' from his uncle ... traditions common in society today? I don't think so!

So my second thought: what's marriage really for (if not for the 'dependent partner' to serve as crowning achievement of the 'independent partner,' who finds purpose in supporting the 'dependent partner')?

Is "marriage" just a 'frilly decoration on life today' (like the tassle on a graduation-cap)?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people get married for the benefits marriage accords them while those who don't get married don't want to get tangled up with kids, husbands or wives. Both groups have valid points but I don't think that either of them is good for your wallet because once the kids come along, you'll need to use up most of the savings anyway.

Anyway I don't see if there's anything wrong with people moving in together before they're married as long as they're committed to the cause [raising a family]. In some countries I hear that's the norm. You fall in love, move in and get on with life. Legally such marriages void but it doesn't change anything.

3. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    i don't see anything wrong with moving in together. My girlfriend has been banging on at me about moving in with her for years, I am reluctant as I live 300+ miles away and look after my father, I don't get on with her family, I have a dog and she has cats, and she costs me a fortune when we are together! So it isn't for everyone. :)

4. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    Firstly, I'm not religious so any religious backing on whether a couple should move in before marriage is slightly unjust in my point of view.

Anyway, I don't see why a couple can't move in together if they have given it some though and have talked about it in detail. My boyfriend and I have lived together for awhile now (first in college on-campus housing then off campus, and now we graduated we're looking for a place together) and we've both talked a lot in heavy detail about the finances, etc etc. We do plan on marrying each other in the near future so we don't see why not.

Plus I think it's a good idea to see how the other half lives when they're not 100% on guard with how they act. That way you can see who they really are "Behind the scenes" and judge for yourself whether it's something you can stand living with for the rest of your life.