Moving Question: should I keep my DVDs?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by H.C. Heartland • Jan 9, 2015.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My husband and I are moving locations soon and I am trying to downsize. This is a difficult thing for me to do. I'm a real horder! We have alot of movies on a hard drive now and rarely buy actual DVDs anymore. However, we have about 3 large books worth of DVDs and I'm trying to decide whether or not I should keep them. We have alot of friends who speak different languages though and the nice thing about a DVD is:
    1. It can play in a variety of players
    2. It can have subtitles and audio languages
    3. It is durable, whereas I am always afraid my drives are going to stop working and I'll loose everything.

What do you think? Should we keep all our movies?

2. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I think having a hard copy of your movies would be a smart thing .Although, if you don't want to have so much DVDs when you move then giving some away would be a good idea and a nice thing too. I recently moved, and my thing was that I had a ton of clothes that I just couldn't really fit in my suitcase. So, before I moved I had a bunch of my friends come over and pick what they wanted out of the clothes I was unable to take or didn't want anymore. Everyone ended up finding something that they liked so that was pretty cool.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that hard drives are vulnerable, so you're better off with having a DVD copy of your favorite movies. If I were you, I'd hold on to them, but it's up to you to make a decision that you're comfortable with. I have a bunch of movies and tv shows in my hard drive, and I don't have an external hard drive, so I can't format the pc until I backed them up, so my plan to format is being delayed. That's why having a DVD copy is a better option.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I moved I gave away the DVDs to friends (That I could always borrow back) and have kept the ones I know I will watch, classics, series and rare DVDs. I gave the rest away as these days you can buy them cheaply and also in the dollar store. Go through and keep one box and give the rest to friends. Try that and you then sort out what you really want to keep.

5. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Since your DVDs aren't taking up a whole shelf or something then feel free to keep them. However, if you feel that they're starting to become a factor in the overall clutter of your home then I would recommend that you dispose of them. Moving into a new home is supposed to be full of fun and you should leave all the clutter behind.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You should keep those DVDs. Although you can always exercise your own discretion and decide for yourself what you want to do with them, if they have sentimental value for you, then it would be best to keep them for future reminiscing. If you want to carry a lesser load to your new place, then perhaps you can just keep the DVDs closest to your heart and give the rest to friends, family or neighbors.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Because you have them in books and you've already gotten rid of the clunky cases, I don't think it's a big deal to keep them. You have a clear purpose for them and have, at the very least, justified keeping them.

I don't personally need them and am not afraid of losing digital copies because I know I can get them again online, but for you, you have friends that may benefit, so it's not a huge deal.

That being said, maybe compromise with yourself and try to cut back to only 1 or 2 books full. Keep your favorites and ditch the rest.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I personally would just keep the DVDs because I'm sure it doesn't take up that much space unless you have a whole library worth of them, in which case I'd probably be even more hesitant to get rid of them just because the collection would already be too substantial and getting rid of it might not seem too appealing to me. I'd probably just find something else to downsize on if it were me.

9. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I'd wait until after the move and then decide what to do. Moving is an emotional time and being unsure to me says wait until after the move. Then you can think 'Wow, I should have gotten rid of these movies before we moved.'

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it would be a real shame to let go of your DVD collection, especially since you have more than three good reasons to keep them. Don't forget the value of the cover of those DVD's, the art work of music DVD's, and so much more. Also, you might have some collector's items that will fetch you a good price one day when you might need some extra cash. I's say hold on to it! :)

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I were you, I'd keep the DVDs. It's not like they take up too much space. Think of all the movies you'd lose if you were to give away all your DVDs and what you'd spend replacing them or getting other DVDs since you might need to watch movies [old or new ones] from time to time. Another option would be to sell the DVDs. Why give them away when you can make some cash off of them?

You can take a look at the site linked to below if you are interested:

12. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    Those DVDs sound like a priceless collection built up over many years. DVDs are great because they are a convenient way of playing some of your favorite films on the TV without too much hassle. You should definitely keep the DVDs unless they are becoming inconvenient to keep or just gathering dust. Even then, pick out your favorite films and the classics to keep with you, as these are sure to be watched again. They may also serve as a good backup to your hard drive in case something goes wrong.

13. H.C. Heartland

Threads:
    Oh thank you! This site looks great! I've never heard of it before. Everyone has given me really good advise. We are going to pack up the majority of them. But now that I have this option too, I think I'll look into it. Great idea!

14. H.C. Heartland

Threads:
    Oh thank you! This site looks great! I've never heard of it before. Everyone has given me really good advise. We are going to pack up the majority of them. But now that I have this option too, I think I'll look into it. Great idea!

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't get rid of DVDs, especially with your logical list of good reasons to keep them. I would focus on other areas of clutter like getting rid of old clothes or magazines and leave the DVDs alone.

16. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I think you shouldn't worry about your drives failing. The DVDs could get scratched or otherwise messed up somehow as well. It's obviously hard for you to let go of things, but you know that clutter is something that can weigh you down and the more of it you have, the harder it is to get out from under it. Go through your DVDs and decide which ones you really love and want to keep and give the rest away to friends or donate them to a charity/thrift shop. If you're not in the film industry, you don't need the DVDs. It's time to cut the cord with the clutter.

17. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I recommend giving it to a nearby family or friend, or sell it all on a bundle on a internet selling/auction site. There will always be a human willing to value things you no longer see valuable, its a matter of providing the venue to market and sell your unwanted material possessions. If you don't have time to wait for internet buyers, you can always take it to a flea market or pawn shop to sell it too.

18. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would ditch them personally, and or rip the rarest of them to a cloud service or a portable hard drive. These days, you don't need to have a bunch of devices hooked up to your TV anymore. No need for DVD players, Blu Ray players, VCR's, and all that crap. You can find most of those movies on Netflix and most TV's come with Netflix compatibility baked right into them so you don't need any extra wires or gadgets either. Worst case scenario if you really want to watch a movie that is not on Netflix, you can 9 times out of 10 find it streaming somewhere online for free, and simply stream it from your laptop to your TV either wirelessly or via HDMI or USB cables.

Sell them off and pocket the extra cash, the longer you keep them around the longer you will also be clinging to your DVD/Blu Ray player too.

19. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do keep mine, even if to be honest I no longer have a DVD player or even a CD reader at my laptop! I paid a lot for my collection and to sell them now I would get such little money I prefer to keep them while I have the space for them. Of course, if you don't use them anymore and don't see yourself watching them anytime soon it might be better to sell them, but I have quite some free space at my house so my DVDs are not going anywhere for now!

20. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I got rid of all my DVD's about a year ago. I burned copies and have them on both my hard drive and cloud storage. I don't have the space for DVD's anymore, and its worked out well for me - but some people might not agree. I don't have a DVD player anymore, and while my laptop does have a CD/DVD drive, when I upgrade to a new laptop - I won't be getting one with those features. I prefer to stream video at this point.