Mr. Coffee 2 Qt. Iced Tea Maker

Discussion in Product Reviews started by ragtimeannie • Jun 14, 2014.

1. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    My daughter and I had a major addition to those $1 large drinks at McDonald's. We were going there on a daily basis just for Diet Cokes and sweet teas. It seemed like such a bargain. Only a dollar for a giant drink! Wow! But then we got to thinking about it -- and doing the math. Our little habit was costing us about $60 a month. Even more money than that, if you consider the gas we spent to get our fix and the other little goodies that tended to find their way into our car when we went "just for drinks." It was clear this bad habit needed to go, but we were unwilling to give up our treat.

to the rescue! For only about $20 -- about a third of our "just for drinks" budget -- I was able to easily make iced tea at home that was better than the tea served up at McD's.

The iced tea maker is easy to use. I try to stock up on the big Lipton or Luzianne iced tea bags at Dollar General when they go on sale. It's easy to break out two of those big tea bags and pop them in the top of the iced tea machine, fill the reservoir with some water, and flip the switch to get it to brew. While it's brewing, I get the ice out of our freezer ice maker and fill it up to the line indicated on the pitcher. The whole process of setting up the tea takes less than two minutes.

To make sweet iced tea, I add 2 cups of sugar or Splenda to a little hot tap water and give it a stir while the tea is brewing. When the tea is ready, all you have to do then is add the sweetener that you've already dissolved to the tea.

The plastic pitchers wash up just fine in the bottom rack of the dishwasher with the heat dry turned off, and the little piece you put the tea bags in goes in the top rack. After I make the tea, I leave the top lid open for a bit to cool off and dry. Occasionally my husband runs a little water and vinegar through the machine to keep it fresh and clean. Other than that, it's a workhorse and requires very little maintenance.

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm glad you're enjoying your iced tea machine. I also started brewing my own iced tea at home as well about a year and a half ago, and I love it too. It sounds like you aren't having any problems with the Mr. Coffee machine so far, but I will warn you, if you start running into issues with it leaking all over your counter, return it while you still can. Some of their iced tea makers have a known design flaw that causes the brewed tea to run down the side of the unit all over your counter instead of into the pot itself. I originally bought the Mr Coffee model at Walmart, and about 75% of the time it was flooding the counter, so I returned it and got the Hamilton Beach model, which I've been very pleased with.

It's definitely a huge money saver - considering we were paying about $3-$4 for a gallon of brewed iced tea at the stores, and you can make like 6 gallons of it for only about $1.50. The Luzianne iced tea blend is my favorite by far.

I usually skip putting the ice in the bucket, and instead just add a little water (not all the way up to the line though, since ice expands) - because we go through ice cubes like crazy in my house. Then when it's done brewing I simply let it cool off in the fridge. You really only need to do the ice thing if you want to drink it right away. I also like to brew mine with 6 tea bags instead of the recommended. I figure that when I pour it over a tall glass of ice, it's only going to dilute it, so I brew it extra strong so it tastes just right as the ice melts.

As for cleaning, you can also purchase a high strength vinegar meant for cleaning, that works wonders in removing stains from the pot and the machine. It's much more potent than regular cooking vinegar.

3. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    The only time I've had a leak problem has been when I've pushed the button to start brewing before I put the pitcher underneath. ;)

I had no idea such a thing existed! Where do you buy it? That sounds like something that might be better for the coffee maker too.

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My husband is not a coffee drinker so I always make him a pot of tea. I suppose I could just make him a cup but sometimes he has two or three and so it makes it easier if I just make the pot. However, there is often a lot of left over tea so I store it in an empty plastic pop bottle in the fridge. At the end of the week on a hot day or when going to parties I add sugar and milk to make an iced coffee. Sometimes I had cinnamon or other spices. Everyone really loves my iced coffees and teas and they have no idea I am just using up my left over morning drinks! Since soda pop can be pricey, this saves some money too when bringing food items to parties.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just use a pot of boiling water on the stove to make iced tea without a special machine. People in the South have been drinking sweet tea for ages before these machines were invented. Not every kitchen chore requires a machine.
    I saw a woman at Goodwill buying a garlic roasting machine and I laughed because you can roast garlic in the oven.

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I found an ice tea maker on clearance at Krogers, and bought it. It works great and my husband loves it. It makes abut a half gallon of iced tea at a time, and when summer comes, and it is hot outside, we both enjoy a cold glass of iced tea.
    I like mine sweetened; but I know that both sugar and the artificial sweeteners are not healthy, so I usually drink it plain.
    One thing that I have found that I really enjoy, is to add some pineapple juice to the ice tea. It sweetens the tea, and adds a delicious and exotic flavor to the tea, without being as sweet and sticky as adding regular sweetener.

7. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have one of those ice tea brewing machines and only use it a couple of times during the summer. It was a bargain and it has lasted me for about 8 years now, so it was money well spent. I am the only one in my house that drinks ice tea so I end up pouring about half of the container down the drain after it has sat in my fridge for a week or so. It is more cost effective for me to brew a glass at a time as I have a craving for it. The machine works good though.

8. trip2space

trip2spaceNew Member

Threads:
    I am a huge fan of tea and the Mr. Coffee

is the best economical and easy-to-use product I have found out on the market. I just decided to replace my old one we had for over 7 years.
    I found that I prefer to brew it at the "strongest" setting but it gives you a various range of strengths to choose from. Would absolutely recommend this product.

[​IMG]