Multiplication table

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Peninha • Dec 1, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My kid has just started to learn the multiplication table, the hours and money and let me tell you that this is a major headache for a parent! Do you guys remember how you helped your kids grasp these matters, or was it simply plain hard?

2. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I taught this to my brother a couple of years back. What I did was make him write the multiplication table every day. Sometimes, I would also ask him random questions. Seems to have worked out really well. Also, make sure your kid has the concept pinned down. The last thing you want to happen is for your kid to memorize the multiplication table without really understanding it.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is the key caleb, I want him to understand it, but at the same time he has to memorize it, so what's the catch here, should he just memorize it or what is there to understand? He is still missing the point, he doesn't get what multiplication is I think, he just sees is as some random numbers.

4. jcort

jcortMember

Threads:
    I think a big part of multiplication is, unfortunately, to simply memorize.

However, something that could help him with understanding the concept is "skip counting." So, counting by 2's- 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, etc. or 5's- 5, 10, 15, 20, 25... That will help with the memorization, as well as learning the number patterning better.

And, of course, you can always get candy and practice skip counting that way. Using food makes it motivating for kids, and then they can visually see the number getting bigger as you add candy to a pile by 2's, or by 3's, or whatever number you choose.

Try to point out ways that we use multiplication every day, so it becomes more real to him/her.

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, that is true, he has to memorize it. Funny enough he has improved a lot, I've been studying with him on a daily basis, asking him random questions and he already knows it, how fast can things change. :)