Music you don't like listening to?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by 003 • May 8, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I almost love all music. I enjoy most of them, most of the genres. Just that with the electro music, whenever I listen to it, I get a headache, a terrible one that lasts for more than two days. So, as it suggests, I must not listen to a music like that.

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The genres I can definitely say I can't stand are opera, bluegrass and metal/screamo. Metal/screamo gives me a headache. I don't know how anyone can listen to. Bluegrass is just gross. I hate where I live because when they have music at the park, that's all it is. Opera is just annoying for obvious reasons.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like screamo, those sexist rap songs about booty, or that Muzak instrumental elevator music that they play in malls.
    Also certain songs like Pretty Baby by Vanessa Carlton, sung in that little breathy, girly voice make me want to puke.

I read that many pop songs sound alike because record companies are paying attention to what people download on iTunes and what they listen to on Sound cloud and and basically making clones of those songs so that they are guaranteed to sell well. So the collective hive mind of all the mainstream folks in middle America is why the rest of us have to listen to 12 different artists that all sound like Usher, while artists who make unique music starve.

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Anything that's on the radio. I hate pretty much 99% of pop and radio music, except for the 80s that had a couple of artists that I enjoyed (The Cure, Sisters of Mercy, Depeche Mode, Gary Numan..). Otherwise, the only act in at least last 10 years that I've enjoyed that got a radio time was Lorde.

5. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    I enjoy all types of music and listen to pretty much anything on the radio but there is one that i cannot stand to listen to and its the screamo stuff (if thats what its even called). Some of them are just straight screaming throughout the whole song. But other than that ill listen to country, pop, oldies, rap, etc.

6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    That's a tough question because I pretty much enjoy any kind of genre. Anyway, I don't like contemporary rap music that much because they always talk about the same old trashy things. I'd like to hear more positive subject matters in their songs.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would also consider myself an eclectic, as far as music goes. I have heard at least one or two songs from every single genre that I have liked, throughout the course of my life. But that doesn't mean that I do not like some genres more than others. Music that I don't like to listen to is dubstep. It is technically astonishing, from a production standpoint. But it sounds so bad, so soulless. So robotic.

8. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I also enjoy a bit of everything, so it’s a tough question for me as well. I suppose I’d have to go with pop-punk, people with boring and generic and inoffensive voices, and anything that’s indistinguishable from other bands/artists in the same genre. Not really a dubstep fan either, which is partly because I associate it with bros. Hm, “music I associate with brotastic bros” is obviously not a genre, but I suppose that’s another thing I could list here.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    I agree about the music that is almost - or downright is - indistinguishable from other artists and bands. It's all so tedious. There have been a lot of obscure sub-genres to crop up in recent years, and many of them are just sheer craziness. I wouldn't even call them experimental, because at least experimental music makes some sense, or has some sort of structure lol.

10. walker498

walker498New Member

Threads:
    I love music. So I usually refrain from judging the different genres (although some of them are a little strange). I feel that each genre has something to offer and teach the world no matter how different they are. Some people do not like rap, but believe it or not it has helped with race relations. Heavy metal even has given young people a voice.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    Well that is a positive way to look at it. I suppose that you are right in the sense that every genre has something to teach, but then it depends on how you are looking at it. From a listener's point of views, and a listener's point of view only, if you hear something and you don't like it, then you know you don't like it. But from a music producer's point of view, even if you don't like the information that is entering your ears, there are always things to learn from listening - different techniques and such.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The loud rap music that is degrading to women with a lot of hate words and cursing I do not think is music at all. Country music is also not my favorite type of music, anything with a twangy sound seems to grate my neres.

13. DreekLass

Threads:

How could I not mention my disdain for rap music? Specifically the kind that you mentioned above? How anybody can listen to that kind of stuff is seriously beyond me. People often fail to realize that the lyrics in music are affirmations, especially if you are singing or speaking them along with the song. That can be very dangerous for the human psyche if the lyrics are negative in nature, as well as having awful social implications.

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a huge music lover so I listen to just about any music genre, even the electro music that gives you headaches. Of course, I try to filter the beats I listen to. My ears can only take so much. Although I am very open-minded when it comes to music appreciation, I can never warm up to heavy metal and mainstream or pure, unadulterated rap. Those genres are rather hard to listen to. Heavy metal has a lot of screeching and it's also psychologically disturbing. Rap music makes me cringe, especially when there's a lot of cursing.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    I also have to agree with you about the heavy metal genre. Even though I'm an eclectic, as mentioned above, the lyrical content that is typical of heavy metal is not of a positive nature, and can be pretty disturbing. And that is if you can even decipher the words between all of the throat-screeching screaming. If I ever do enjoy a heavy metal track, it's usually the melodic idea that is drawing my attention, and nothing else.

16. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    My friends think that I'm weird, but I am not really a fan of music. I listen to music when I commute to work, but I won't really miss it if it's gone. I mean, I don't like noise. And in some cases, I consider music noise. As much as possible, I just want to listen to classical music.

Anyway, I do not like hard metal music. I don't like the screaming they do.

17. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I too like most music genres, but I don't really like anything too hardcore. Among the stuff I can't listen to is gospel, heavy metal, electro, rave, opera and classical.

18. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I enjoy all genres of music, it's usually just a matter of finding the right song. My least favorite genre is reggaeton though. It's very repetitive and the lyrics are usually awful. Even so, there are still a few songs I like in the genre.

19. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    The same thing with me, I don't really care about the genre or the lyrics, I just need to find the ones that click in my head. Even the nonsense rap songs that are currently on the radios will grow on me if they are catchy enough. I think the one that I don't like listening to is the one that I don't enjoy melodically, even if it was by famous singers whose other songs might be my favorite. For example, I don't like listening to Get Lucky by Pharrel Williams even though I love his other songs.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like reggae and classical music. Also, songs that you can't decipher what the other person is saying, like very heavy metal. I don't really care about the lyrics when I listen to songs. Mostly I just care about the beat.